• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Fish

Lisa1

Hi

I have just put in four fish to start with into newly cycled tank, but they are just hanging about the top, they are not gasping for air, or darting about is this normal?

Lisa1

They are gold white cloud mountain minnows, the ammonia was 0 so was nitrite 0 and the temp is 25/26 degrees

Ok thank you, l was just worried as they are at the top of the tank, huddled together they have not swam down at all and its been a couple of hours

WCCM are certainly 'cold water' fish vs. tropical, might just be the temp? Are you running CO2?

No I am not running Co2 just looking into it at the moment, but it is a newly cycled tank did it with nutrofin cycle and filter media squeezed in from an older tank, it no trouble to put them back into the older tank if its all wrong

Hi all,
Lisa it doesn't sound like they are very happy, as they are naturally fairly lively fish, I'd definitely move them back. You can't really accurately test for NH3 or NO2, but if you have any Prime or Amquel it would be worth adding some. These won't effect the cycle, what-ever you might read on other forums.
filter media squeezed in from an older tank
Did you swirl the new sponge in the squeezings from the old sponge? or did you just tip the old sponge water straight into the tank? If you just tipped it in, there may not be much bacteria in the filter yet.

If you have some quick growing plants (floaters would be ideal) I'd add them for a week or so, and after that you should definitely be good to go.

cheers Darrel

Lisa1 said:
No I am not running Co2 just looking into it at the moment, but it is a newly cycled tank did it with nutrofin cycle and filter media squeezed in from an older tank, it no trouble to put them back into the older tank if its all wrong

Hey lisa,
I would put them back in the old tank & wait about 3-4 weeks for tank to establish a good amount of beneficial bacteria, otherwise you risk killing your fish by ammonia poisoning possibly.

I would also have the tank at room temp. The potential problem here could be lack of oxygen, as the higher the temperature goes, the less oxygen the water can hold. So, possibly install an air pump too.

Cheers,

Thanks everyone, the fish are going to go back to old tank,

I dipped the sponge in the water and gave it a good squeeze out, l have got an air pump but was told that it did not add oxygen so l now have filter part just out of the water so its causing a good old ripple and bubbles,

Have got quite a lot of plants in it, about 25 and external filter,
but dont want my fish suffering

Lisa

easerthegeezer said:
hey lisa, i believe the bubbles dont add oxygen per say, it is the bubbles causing surface agitation that increases o2.
:thumbup:

Hey iain,

I run an Eheim airpump with an Eheim air stone and you can create a really fine 'mist' with the bubbles, this definitely does the 'trick' for me.

I agree you are correct in saying surface agitation is a good point. But the bubbles must add something :D

Right am back now been chasing the fish round the tank, they can move when they want, anyway they are back home zapping around the tank, bossing everyone around, so much much happier, hope l have not done any damage to them. So give it another 3/4 weeks add some prime and amquel can l get this from lfs. what does it do, if its not a daft question, l know l have come out with some belta's already like air stones not putting in air, the name kinda gives it away really lol but l was honestly told it was for ornamental rather than practical, oh well lol.

So the minnows not really tropical so will keep them in this old tank then, and get some more, whats good for a new cycled tank as l was also told that tetras are not good for new tanks, cant remember if this was the same person who told me that air stones do help with oxygen lol

Lisa

.... take some of your filter media from the established tank and put it in your new tank filter, turn the temperature down to 20 degrees or so, do a 25 percent water change and test for ammonia and nitrite. your white clouds should then be much happier. or put them back into the old tank. remember, a tank will not cycle unless a food scource for the bacteria is present. please do not use fish to cycle a tank. hope all goes well.

Lisa1 said:
So the minnows not really tropical so will keep them in this old tank then, and get some more, whats good for a new cycled tank as l was also told that tetras are not good for new tanks, cant remember if this was the same person who told me that air stones do help with oxygen lol

Lisa
how did you cycle the tank?

I used nutrofin cycle and squeezed out my existing filter into the tank, it was also a second hand tank and external filter, l have added fish food and just waited and kept doing tests of the water.

Fish are back in the other/old tank and fine now unless l have done long term damage but they were only in for two hours max

ok, the filter on the empty tank will uncycle without fish or ammonia. hope the wcmm are ok.

Back