• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Damn D&D problems

Lisa_Perry75

Soooo, after fighting loads just to get CO2 working ok coming on and off at the correct time and pressure I then had to turn it off for 6 days. It is now v. broken.

I haven't been able to get the second gauge on because I have no spanner.
When I leave the set not plugged in the pressure slowly goes up to 2 yet not many bubbles seem to come out. If I try changing the fine adjuster nothing happens. I plug in the solenoid and the pressure drops to the bottom. The CO2 bottle is almost new but I go through one every few weeks (!) I'm thinking I should just exchange it for a new one at the place I got it. I don't have the receipt or box though so I'm hoping they'll go for it.

For now I've unscrewed the reg from the bottle as I was coughing alot. Could be hayfever and just going back to Cambridge but I never normally get wheezy like this.

I have tried around the bottle to the reg. When I set it up I tried around the gauge and stuff but I don't want to put too much liquids around the electric solenoid!

I used a pasty brush and some washing up liquid with a tiny bit of water in it. I know you already replied to my thread, so you know that my D&D was leaky when I got it.

If your bubble count is low then there is no way you should be going through that much CO2, but for the concrete test go back to the instructions. Close the needle valve (fine adjuster), plug in the solenoid then open the regulator up SLOWLY. The pressure should increase up to about 4 bar, and if you have a major leak you'll hear it hissing. If you hear it hissing turn the regulator back off pronto!

I had a problem whereby the combined bubble-counter/non-return must have leaked some water back down the hose as I had inconsistent bubble rates for a short while. I took the hose off either end (reg and bc - I actually had to cut it off) and blew out the small amount of water, put it back and its been fine since :)

Rich

It makes you wonder how much quality control is going into these products with the number of people finding problems. I had a leak from my solenoid caused by a design fault. A lock washer was too big and did not allow a seal to make.

Ditch the CO2 - go natural! :)

More seriously... I had a leaky gauge on my kit. Had to righten it (which meant it faced toward the floor...) Start simple and add bits to see if you can identify the problem by process of elimination. For example, CO2 bottle plus reg plus tubing in to water. As suggested earlier, go through the set up process of opening the valves in the right order and see how you get on. I remember that I would set the pressure and then open the needle valve. Then I would leave it for an hour or so, only to find that the pressure had dropped to zero. I then just adjusted the pressure back up and it would generally be fine.

altaaffe said:
It makes you wonder how much quality control is going into these products with the number of people finding problems. I had a leak from my solenoid caused by a design fault. A lock washer was too big and did not allow a seal to make.

I use a D+D Regulator with solenoid. Its been up and running for quite a while now, no problems.

I do have one slight niggle with it though, the nut to fasten it to the bottle wasnt compatible for fire extinguishers so i bought an adapter. But when i need to change the fire extinguisher, the whole regulator and solenoid spin round with the nut connecting it. I have a 4ft tank and run a 5kg Fire extinguisher bottle, this lasts a bit though.

Whenever you replace a bottle ALWAYS make sure that you replace the fibre washer that seals the regulator to bottle.
PTFE tape is not the correct way to seal the regulator. PTFE tape seals the threads, making it more difficult to screw the regulator on. The fibre washer seals as the regulator to the bottle by compessing the joint together, this is why you need to use a new one every time.

Hope this helps ;)

Where would I buy new ones from?

I managed to get a replacement from the shop. D&D have changed the solenoid that goes with the kit now. Seems to be a different make. I also blagged a 2-pin to 3-pin converter :lol:

Oh and tank still looking good so have avoided setting up the CO2 kit by myself!

Hi Lisa,good see that everything is working ok,update some pics of the new scape in your forum,regards john

Back