• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Amazonia granules and powder

sebado

Seedling
Hello.

I have a pets at home 30cm cube. I have put a 3litre bag of ADA amzonia granules in. It is about 2 inches deep and I can't get stems to hold and other plants often come loose.

I don't think the substrate is deep enough (JAC agrees) and have come across the powder version of ADA Amazonia.

I am not worried how long it takes to get the stuff bedded in (amonia spikes) and just want to make sure I am doing the best thing. I have read that the powder should be used as a base and also as a top substrate.

What are peoples opinion. Should I go for another 3l bag of granules or powder. My gut says to go for powder but I am not very experienced at this.

Thanks for your help.

sebado.....

Are you trying to plant the tank while full of water? Are you using tweezers?

There's very little difference in it in my experience, foreground plants don't seem to notice any difference and stay planted just as well in either. A bit more substrate might be an idea but I've planted in inch deep substrate in the past and not noticed the lifting off you're mentioning.

Garuf said:
Are you trying to plant the tank while full of water? Are you using tweezers?

I will drain it to about half an inch which is what I have been doing every couple of days for water changes. I have just ordered some tweezers so will be using those shortly.

It is mainly stems that don't stay at all. I was thinking the powder might give more grip.

You should find that with tweezers they plant much more easily. With Aquasoil type substrates it's best to moisten the substrate not add much water, just enough for it to be damp then to plant all the plants then fill it up with water, this prevents stirring up the substrate and also prevents the plants from floating.

So back to my question.... should i go for powder or granules or does it make little difference?

Makes no difference to the plants, the choice is yours.

Im just about to start up a triptych nano set up and was thinking exactly this. I think ill try the Amazonia powder. I was thinking about just using the Amazonia powder and not bothering with the sands etc. does anyone agree that for a short term project Amazonia powder will do? Im also not made of money :)

If you're not made of money then columbo florabase is the better buy and in my honest opinion the better product.

Which ever you buy, no base is needed what so ever, penac tourmaline powersand what ever else ada say you need, you don't they're all snake oil. The beauty of an all in one clay substrate, is that it's all in one, save your money do a little research on the barr report and your wallet will thank you for it.

Also, if you're using it then the size of the particles really doesn't matter because you won't see any of it for plants if you're not planting into it then you might as well use a cosmetic sand and tropicas base layer which is even cheaper still.

but will this not throw my ph levels around? my aim os to breed crs you see? I cant even have them with mini lanscape rock because it throughs off the ph.. what you think?

All clay substrates alter the PH? I don't understand your question? The TDS is what's important when breeding shrimp, the ph is largely irrelevant as I understand it and at any rate, crs' in the wild are from water that is essentially pure rainwater so a low ph/tds is desirable. Shrimp now will be a good place to read up or searching in the shrimp subforum.

ADA amazonia as a shrimp substrate after left to cycle (4 weeks to get rid of any ammonia, unless using a seeded filter) would be second only to EBI Gold Shrimp soil.

If you want tour CRS to thrive, go EBI Gold. Specifically designed for the purpose and held in very high regard for its water buffering qualities and length of life by a lot of people.

Cheers,

I also have no doubt, that if you ever need any info on shrimp keeping, that if you post a topic in FreshWaterShrimps Sponsor forum that they will help you no end.

Also try :

Www.shrimpkeeping.com

Provided by Dincho on here, who is also up on shrimp as you can see.

Cheers,

e2ehy2yp.jpg

u9yvevy9.jpg

tuseqydy.jpg

2u5e5yta.jpg

eguqeqag.jpg

A couple of shots of my very simple ADA mini M, using EBI Gold substrate.

Hope this helps a little!

Hey Tim mate,
Just took the shots right now. I took all the pebbles etc out of this a couple of weeks back. As the water quality had to be maintained a lot, which in turn possibly traumatises the shrimp.

Its EBI mate.

Excuse the pipework, Its hardly photogenic :lol:

Back