• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Ever DSLR - How to take pics of my tank and shrimp

sr20det

Hi all,

I purchased a Canon 350 DSLR from this board, and have been experimenting, I can take decent pics in Auto mode, but want to get some close ups and decent pics of the tanks.

Comes with a 18-55 mm II lens.

I have the manual but not really looked at it yet as not sure how much of it is relevent?

Been looking for guides online, but mostly just reviews.

Anyone give any pointers.

Many Thanks

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
You'd probably need a Macro lens or filter for some decent pics.

Thats not really the case Kris. That 18 to 55 kit lens is actually pretty good. I use a 50mm lens and can get some great pics.

sr20. DEFINITELY read the manual. The more you know about your camera and how the settings work, and the more you practice with it and become familiar with it, the better your photography will become. The wonderful thing about digital is you can practice with impunity and not waste a lot of money :thumbup: There are a fair few video guides that you can buy, and these cover photography in general as well as specific models :)

I was toold that a The 50mm f1.8 lens is pretty cheap and good results of close ups.

I have EF-S 18 - 55 mm F3.5 - F5.6 II lens

Apparently the f1.8 is good for indoors over the f3.5. So may opt for one of these.

sr20det said:
I was toold that a The 50mm f1.8 lens is pretty cheap and good results of close ups.

I have EF-S 18 - 55 mm F3.5 - F5.6 II lens

Apparently the f1.8 is good for indoors over the f3.5. So may opt for one of these.

A 50mm f/1.8 is always a useful lens to have. 18-55 is also a good lens, and on your camera would give you an equivalent focal zoom of 30-90. The difference is that the fixed lens has a better aperture so will let in more light under low light situations. But the flipside of that is the mini zoom will give you a wider angle view (but not enough to be considered really wide angle). If I could choose between the two I would get the 50mm and then look at buying a second hand zoom if need be.

Back