• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding l046

I dont think its out of hand mate. Its just people offering their opinions on a subject you raised in the first place surely ? Some opinions will be relevant to you, others not. Some you will like and others not. Doesn't mean the thread has got out of hand though :thumbup:

I have to disagree with the opinion someone posted that L046 will always remain an expensive fish. The more people like yourself who try and breed them and are successful, the greater the availability and eventually the lower the price will be. I have seen this in certain African cichlid species, I have seen it in reptiles, I have seen it in purebred bengal cats (having been a registered breeder myself in NZ) and we will see it in these fish hopefully too. That is simple economics. The only way it would not happen is by people not being successful in their breeding (which is a point JCB correctly raised), or being discouraged from trying. My way of thinking is that with any species that is endangered or in small numbers, the more people trying to perpetuate the species the better :)

I hope you do attempt this venture. I am sure you will put every effort into making it succeed and a few more zebra plecs on the planet is a good move as far as I am concerned :thumbup:

Hi all,
I have to disagree with the opinion someone posted that L046 will always remain an expensive fish. The more people like yourself who try and breed them and are successful, the greater the availability and eventually the lower the price will be. I have seen this in certain African cichlid species, I have seen it in reptiles, I have seen it in purebred bengal cats (having been a registered breeder myself in NZ) and we will see it in these fish hopefully too. That is simple economics.
I'd like you to be right, but I'll have a sporting bet that they will be more expensive in 5 years time (including inflation etc.). The reason why demand will always out-strip supply is that they aren't like any of the animals you've mentioned. They are K adapted, long-lived, slow maturity, show parental care and have a very small brood size: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory>. A good analogy would be African Grey, Macaw or Amazon Parrots. If you look at "JenClibee's" post, she goes through the details of their reproduction. Bearing that in mind, my suspicion is that once wild fish aren't being imported even maintaining a captive population long term will be difficult.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I have to disagree with the opinion someone posted that L046 will always remain an expensive fish. The more people like yourself who try and breed them and are successful, the greater the availability and eventually the lower the price will be. I have seen this in certain African cichlid species, I have seen it in reptiles, I have seen it in purebred bengal cats (having been a registered breeder myself in NZ) and we will see it in these fish hopefully too. That is simple economics.
I'd like you to be right, but I'll have a sporting bet that they will be more expensive in 5 years time (including inflation etc.). The reason why demand will always out-strip supply is that they aren't like any of the animals you've mentioned. They are K adapted, long-lived, slow maturity, show parental care and have a very small brood size: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory>. A good analogy would be African Grey, Macaw or Amazon Parrots. If you look at "JenClibee's" post, she goes through the details of their reproduction. Bearing that in mind, my suspicion is that once wild fish aren't being imported even maintaining a captive population long term will be difficult.

cheers Darrel

Couldn't agree more Darrel, except for the red highlighted section..... i'm actually male ;) :shh: :thumbup: lol :)

JenCliBee said:
dw1305 said:
Hi all,

cheers Darrel

Couldn't agree more Darrel, except for the red highlighted section..... i'm actually male ;) :shh: :thumbup: lol :)

Had to chuckle at the mis sexing ! Hehehe. Well I will (sadly) stand corrected if that is the case. Its a pity though. :(

Whitey89 said:
I too thought JenCliBee was female :lol:

If you dont shut up and log off of UKAPS you are going to miss your flight !!! Go on holiday already :rolleyes: And dont forget to bring back some local grog :p

Lol afraid to say I too thought female. Amazing how people will make assumptions from the first three letters of a user name. Apologies jen

I thought jencilbee was female too .. oops apologies mr jen by the way the shrimp look great in there new home.

Back to plecs like i said before join plecoplanet there are some great logs on there and loads of information ... seen jencilbee on there and darrel is one of the experts lol he knows too much :lol:

Had to chuckle at the mis sexing ! Hehehe.

It actually made me smile to :lol:

Whitey89 said:
I too thought JenCliBee was female :lol:

;)

jamesb said:
Lol afraid to say I too thought female. Amazing how people will make assumptions from the first three letters of a user name. Apologies jen

No worries mate, Jen is actually short for Jenson but even that ain't my real name lol :thumbup:

somethingfishy said:
I thought jencilbee was female too .. oops apologies mr jen by the way the shrimp look great in there new home.

Back to plecs like i said before join plecoplanet there are some great logs on there and loads of information ... seen jencilbee on there and darrel is one of the experts lol he knows too much :lol:

LOL..... i promise you peeps, i'm all man... well the last time i checked anyways ;).

And yep a member on plecoplanet as is Darrel.... i'm not as active on there as i was on 'plecofanatics' (PF was the best plec site around, shame it eventually finished :()... but PP is still a very good source of info.

Glad to know the shrimp are doing well mate.... i bet you have hundreds by now lol.

i'd also recommend planetcatfish as well as pleco planet (pp seems very quiet to me most of the time or its full of aussies complaining about their import lists :) )

hinch said:
i'd also recommend planetcatfish as well as pleco planet (pp seems very quiet to me most of the time or its full of aussies complaining about their import lists :) )

Good call mate, haven't been as active on PC as i used to be either but again a very good site.... i did notice what you mentioned with PP, since being a little more active, ive noticed that it's very Aussie orientated of late and very quiet on the English front... not that i have anything against Aussies but for a UK based site, they do seem to have taken over a little...especially in the classifieds section lol.

Hi all,
I can give a bit of back-ground about PP (I'm still part of the staff). It arose from the ashes of "Plecofanatics", which was a forum started by a "Jeff" a Singapore? based plec keeper. He disappeared and it was impossible to retain the PF site, which had a lot of Australian members. That is why the core of British members started PP.

I originally became active on PF, because I had met and became friendly with 2 Bristol based plec keepers, Graham (the geeman) and Bob (Macvsog23). They were both very active on the forum and extremely knowledgeable. Bob was undoubtedly the best fish keeper I ever met, and just a top bloke as well. He was an engineer by profession and had both phenomenal attention to detail and about 40 years of fish keeping experience.

More recently Graham had scaled his fish-keeping down due to family pressures, and then Bob tragically died earlier in the year and the PP forum has never really recovered.
<http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16037>

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I can give a bit of back-ground about PP (I'm still part of the staff). It arose from the ashes of "Plecofanatics", which was a forum started by a "Jeff" a Singapore? based plec keeper. He disappeared and it was impossible to retain the PF site, which had a lot of Australian members. That is why the core of British members started PP.

I originally became active on PF, because I had met and became friendly with 2 Bristol based plec keepers, Graham (the geeman) and Bob (Macvsog23). They were both very active on the forum and extremely knowledgeable. Bob was undoubtedly the best fish keeper I ever met, and just a top bloke as well. He was an engineer by profession and had both phenomenal attention to detail and about 40 years of fish keeping experience.

More recently Graham had scaled his fish-keeping down due to family pressures, and then Bob tragically died earlier in the year and the PP forum has never really recovered.
<http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16037>

cheers Darrel

Sounds like a great loss to all concerned Darrel :(

Hi all,
Sounds like a great loss to all concerned Darrel
I miss him every day, I've got a fish he gave me (male L100) and the Dicrossus maculatus pair that he collected from Rare Aquatics for me (as juveniles) in the lab tank, and an L333 at home that I was going to take up for him on the day he died.

He was just a great bloke.
dicrossus_clup_aug2012_flash_web.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back