• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal Finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal.

Only just spotted this but loving the hardscape and the inspiration.

Can't wait to see it planted!

Yes it does look better Ady, shows of the feature better now, one problem though, where are you going to put the sunken helicopter now? ;) only joking... This is going to be a real cracker when it's planted up :thumbup:

Palm Tree said:
That does look better I agree with you on the more open sand bed.
Yeah the sand bed looks better and the rock itself has some nice detailing there that was hidden.

Eboeagles said:
Only just spotted this but loving the hardscape and the inspiration.

Can't wait to see it planted!
Cheers, I've been looking at coastal plants too and have taken some inspiration from them for planting too.

Gary Nelson said:
Yes it does look better Ady, shows of the feature better now, one problem though, where are you going to put the sunken helicopter now? ;) only joking... This is going to be a real cracker when it's planted up :thumbup:
Helicopter will sit pride of place on the left open plateau :shh: that was supposed to be a surprise!

Whitey89 said:
Already looking forward to seeing this planted when I get back.

You've got a week so make it snappy!

:D
I'm too much of a fanny to get it sorted that quick, plant list keeps changing :rolleyes:
Cheerio
Ady.

Some plant inspirations ive been looking at, not all will be typical of a specific coastline, maybe more a collection from all over :) and some artistic licence :shh:

An excuse for a splash of colour, Alternathera Reinecki 'mini'? amongst the grass:
coast3561.jpg

coast3564.jpg

Armeria-maritima_LW

E2800064-Plants_flowering_on_a_coastal_cliff-SPL.jpg

Ammania sp. Bonsai?:
3951655513_5fa1186026_z.jpg

Pinus Radiata..... Pogostemon Erectus?:
pinus-radiata.jpg

Eunonymus Japonicus 'Japanese Spindle'..... Staurogyne?:
euonymus-japonicus.jpg

I like the sense of depth and perspective created by the larger foreground plants in these pictures:

p1090114ablog2.jpg

Giltar_Point_crop_c_Richard_Law.jpg

1420080_c5fc6e30.jpg

Galloway, Scotland:
sea-radish-view.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Attachments

• coast3564.JPG
    coast3564.JPG
    692.7 KB · Views: 122
  • E2800064-Plants_flowering_on_a_coastal_cliff-SPL.jpg
    E2800064-Plants_flowering_on_a_coastal_cliff-SPL.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 138
  • pinus-radiata.jpg
    pinus-radiata.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 3951655513_5fa1186026_z.jpg
    3951655513_5fa1186026_z.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 116
  • euonymus-japonicus.jpg
    euonymus-japonicus.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 1420080_c5fc6e30.jpg
    1420080_c5fc6e30.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Giltar_Point_crop_c_Richard_Law.jpg
    Giltar_Point_crop_c_Richard_Law.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 129
  • p1090114ablog2.jpg
    p1090114ablog2.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 123
  • sea-radish-view.jpg
    sea-radish-view.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 132

tim said:
Your plant list looks spot on mate big thumbs up trying stauro again it's one of those plants that can really knock confidence really looking forward to this planted up ady :thumbup:
Cheers Tim, its certainly been a bogey plant for me.....if it doesnt grow this time ill have to admit defeat!

Well plumbed everything in last night to do a test fill and run. Pleased i did really as wouldnt have wanted the stress that came with it when it comes round to planting!
The tank was crystal clear when i filled it, no cloudiness so turned on the filter to check flow around the tank......
que unwanted namesake erosion process :twisted: :lol: The lily directed flow down to the sand pathway and along the rear raised aquasoil bed and caused carnage, shifting sand from the back to the front of the tank and blowing soil from its perfectly levelled position resulting in a less than clear tank and a midnight trauma.
Whichever position i tried the lily in it simply wouldnt offer a suitable flow pattern and it would have caused constant headaches so ive removed it and added an equally sleek and discreet alternative....a bloody black G6 spraybar configuration!! :lol: The trade off with this is good surface movement and resultant gas exchange so i suppose its not all bad, a bit more c02 needed most likely but should benefit the fish :) Situated at the right side of the tank pushing along the length to the right side isnt ideal but with the hardscape the way it is i dont feel back to front would work as there would be too much interference in flow from the sheer rock faces (i may end up trying it though just to see). The way it is now still needs some tweaking as im still getting soil shifting in some places due to flow, but i think ill be able to manage it..... flaming flow, its the bain of my life!
Ill now use this time to investigate c02 levels and distribution. I turned the C02 on last night briefly to make sure it all worked. It seems to work really well at dissolving the micro bubbles with the inline diffuser on the filter inlet as theres no misting in the tank and no obvious/immediate 'burping' or grumblings from the filter :thumbup:
Anyway, hopefully ill be ordering plants today/tomorrow so planting next week with a bit of luck!
Cheerio,
Ady.

A few pics from the phone to show the above

Filling:
re8e5e9a.jpg

Full and nice and clear:
5y4u4aju.jpg

Spray bar and not so clear:
py2u7ymu.jpg

Good surface movement:
ady7a5a7.jpg

Soil shifting:
mu2e2e4e.jpg

Cheerio
Ady

Had more of a play with flow last night and think I've sorted it. Spray bar and a nozzle return all pointing in the same direction seems to give a good even flow pattern. It may be a little slow on the right side of the tank but if I change the configuration it simply moves the aquasoil at the left side of the tank. Normal grain size would prob be ok but the powder is very light. When planted I may be able to up the flow as the roots should hold the soil together. The other alternative is to add the Koralia circulation pump back in to give better flow to the right side of the tank.
Also I emptied and refilled again last night as the water was cloudy due to the soil and sand disturbance from the lily pipe.... this is how it stands
now

7uja6upy.jpg

Also ordered plants yesterday as follows:

Marsilea hirsuta
Eleocharis Ecicularis
Eleocharis sp mini
Ammania sp bonsai
Staurogyne repens
Alternathera reineckii mini
Echinodorus tenellus
Pogostemon erectus
Riccia fluitans
Christmas moss

Looking forward to planting next weekend!

Cheerio
Ady

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal..planted..i

Hi,
received my plant order yesterday from TGM, awesome service and quality as usual :thumbup: ....so set to work washing prepping and planting!
I still have to tie the riccia to the riccia stones which have arrived today so will do that tonight. Also not happy with the taller e. ecucularis and tenellus on the left/centre as it kind of detracts from the feel i wanted to achieve so will be moving them tonight to the right hand side with the rest and moving the e. sp. mini over to the space left by this. Want to keep the left side more open and make the right side plant mass heavier and larger as if more in the foreground. There is some ammania sp bonsai to the left of the tallest stone so this will balance/transition the height on the right from the pogostemon erectus when it grows.
The tenellus is also quite tall at the moment and hides the right most rock, but will leave it a week or two to settle before trimming it as im sure i remember reading a thread from Iain (easerthegeezer) which suggested it responds best this way :thumbup:
Anyway its a very different look to my previous scape, and the levels of plant mass arnt set yet as some of the taller species need time to grow. The 1-2 grow range is great for quantity but the trade off being you dont get instant height impact....but patience is a virtue.....so they say!

The 1-2 grow plants:

milwaukee080.jpg

So, marsilea hirsuta to start:

milwaukee081.jpg

milwaukee082.jpg

Then my bogey plant, Staurogyne repens which is in a place of excellent c02 and flow so fingers crossed it will grow and offer a slightly taller thicket of plants to this side of the tank:

milwaukee083.jpg

Left side:

milwaukee084.jpg

Right side:

milwaukee085.jpg

and a couple of FTS:

milwaukee077.jpg

milwaukee079.jpg

will update with the alterations and added riccia later.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal..Planted..i

love it mate, will be fantastic when grown in, really well done.

ianho said:
love it mate, will be fantastic when grown in, really well done.
Cheers Ian, it better grow in!

That looks the business Ady! Like Ian says when the plants grow in its going to be a cracker :thumbup: you must be well pleased with it.

Just echoing everyone else's response, I think it's an absolutely stunning layout.

It is going to be an absolute dream when it does grow in! Well done matey, fantastic work!!

Looks great Ady! Really like the diagonal flow of the rocks coming forward and the little plants appearing so naturally in the cracks of the rocks. I did wonder when looking at your inspiration pictures a few weeks ago how those cliffs with green on them would look under water but I can already recognise some of those features in your tank! Nicely planted as well with the tenellus and other plants at either side of the tall rock.

Would be great if you can create a lot of surface movement - like waves hitting the cliffs!

Now there's a hardscape with immediate visual impact. Looking forward to seeing it mature.

well planted ady this is going to look stunning when grown in can see what you mean about keeping taller grasses to the right it will draw your eye left to right across the tank as if you were looking from the sea up the coastline so to speak all around amazing job mate :clap:

Back