• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: Aquagreen (new vid p18)

i have had the same discussion with Mark on several occasions regarding Glosso. I my old Ecinodorus scape i kept on top of it and it was like a putting green. It looked a little fake TBH. Mark suggested to let it grow a little more natural (that saying, it's been trimmed weekly!). If you look at amanos scapes, he tends to grow it this way rather than a tight carpet. That and there's a mix if staurogyne in there so it looks nicer as well imo. It can also give a greater sense of depth when chopping it from the front.

and thanks Ady, they are Platinums.

I have aways struggled with red plants that go red rather than are red in the first place...i started using Aquavitro Propel Fe, a few weeks back and the green plants that should go red have started to go red. I have used several brands of iron in the past with no luck. Thumbs up to Seachem!

7930020590_7456ea170e_z.jpg
Limnophila aromatica1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

I got hold of a TDS meter and was quite interested on how my TDS is with me cutting RO and tap water. My TDS in my tap is 550ppm at the min. I was quite worried about the Gouramis. The TDS with cut water is...

7950488942_48398cc350.jpg
tds by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

The aromatica above has also decieded to break free...

7950489832_7a297d560e.jpg
aromatica emersed by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

I'm looking t getting rid of the Glosso and going for something a little more low maintenance.

ianho said:
I have aways struggled with red plants that go red rather than are red in the first place...i started using Aquavitro Propel Fe, a few weeks back and the green plants that should go red have started to go red. I have used several brands of iron in the past with no luck. Thumbs up to Seachem!

7930020590_7456ea170e_z.jpg
Limnophila aromatica1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

But the plant also is closer to the light, and has access to more CO2 due to the fact that is touching the surface. How do you know it comes out to be a response to added Fe especially if you have tried before with other brands to no avail? Besides, I believe I have read here that Fe inducing redning in aquatic plants is a myth... If want red you should cut on nitrates... but then again, plants will suffer.

If you want red plantas, use those that are naturally red.

cheers,

GM

the point of having a high energy tank sometimes is to try plants you haven't tried before...i have had red plants that stay red, for me there isn't a challenge in that. The plant has been in this area before before trimming...no redness. There are a couple of people who will say about the Fe not attaining to red leaves, then there are others like Amano who will dose extra Fe for redness. I can only go on what has happened in my tank. I believe its the Fe, i cannot put it down to anything else.

Hey Ian, tank is looking great mate. Guess there is only one way to be sure if its the iron... stop dosing for a few weeks, seems very mixed opinions on it though. What ever it is its working, the limnophilia really is a beaut of a plant! Do you think that the plants will continue to redden along the stems over time or would you need to dose high quantities? assuming the iron is the cause.

Also can i ask how you add your own music to your videos? my always show copyright infringement??

cheers Tim...
how much ro are you cutting your tap water with ian 50/50 mix ? any idea which plant you'll swap the glosso out for

i'm doing 50-50 at the moment, it seems to be working quite well. I'm planning on swapping the gloss to staurogyne, theres some in there already, it's a lot more lower maintenance than glosso.

thank Iain
Guess there is only one way to be sure if its the iron... stop dosing for a few weeks, seems very mixed opinions on it though. What ever it is its working, the limnophilia really is a beaut of a plant! Do you think that the plants will continue to redden along the stems over time or would you need to dose high quantities? assuming the iron is the cause.
yeah i guess it would be...things are going well at the min though, so i don't think i'd dare lol. I'm dosing over what the label says, but the bottles are big enough.

Also can i ask how you add your own music to your videos? my always show copyright infringement??

you have to buy the music, i just save my CD's (yes i still buy CD's lol) to Itunes and that seems to get rid of any copyright infringements. The add the music in windows movie maker.

Glosso gone!

staurogyne added, should've done this ages ago. Pics later...

I've seen this tank today. Pictures do not do it justice (not being disrespectful) Ian could give a master class in how to keep a healthy clean tank.

Mark Evans said:
I've seen this tank today. Pictures do not do it justice (not being disrespectful) Ian could give a master class in how to keep a healthy clean tank.
i totally agree. not sure if he wants the pressure, but he is right up there on ukaps :clap:

Indeed, another great looking tank for the portfolio Ian.

thank you Mark, that means a lot mate. Thank you for the camera tips (again!lol)

i totally agree. not sure if he wants the pressure, but he is right up there on ukaps

Darren, thank you...i'm far from as good as the top boys on here. Thank for the compliment though!

Indeed, another great looking tank for the portfolio Ian.

cheers Ady, waiting for you to get your planted mate with bated breath.

Yes it sure is, I still think you should sell it me and you go back to another corner tank

thank you, i loved my corner tank...again, i'm waiting for new pics of yours!

heres some new pics taken tonight, with the glosso gone. The staurogyne is in, it's 1-2 grow stuff, luckily i have already got some in there thats about a month old, so i know how the 1-2 grow stuff grows. It really bush's from just a few stems. It doesn't look like theres much in there, but give it a few weeks and it'll be reete.

some more red coming through
7957255946_0a0113bffb.jpg
aquagreen100 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

here it the 1-2 grow thats been in there a month, next to it is about the same amount that the main lot came from.

7957250972_7ef7c75701.jpg
aquagreen101 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7957240212_5ccd55fb7e.jpg
aquagreen103 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7957245278_e6690c7b9a.jpg
aquagreen102 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

one of the female gouramis
7957234130_ff30425d2b.jpg
aquagreen104 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

7957229754_88a4317c6c.jpg
aquagreen105 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

sorry for the pic overload.

Mark Evans said:

Bring it on. I am sure I am not alone in being very keen to hear Ian's tips. His tanks always look perfect. So, Ian, Mark has set you right up mate, hehe...

Top ten tips ? ;)

Antipofish said:
Mark Evans said:

Bring it on. I am sure I am not alone in being very keen to hear Ian's tips. His tanks always look perfect. So, Ian, Mark has set you right up mate, hehe...

Top ten tips ? ;)

Yes I'd like to hear some, every little helps as they say....

Re: Aquagreen (pic heavy p20)

Thank you guys, the only tip i can give and it's the one that's worked for me from day one, and that's to have a maintenance routine. Regular water changes on start up of tank and from there everything else seems to look after itself. Keep up the dosing and learn your own tank and limitations, what grows for one may not grow the same way for another.

Back