• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Electric blue rams

skeletonw00t

Hi,
Anyone keep the above? How do they do in the community tank?
Also would they be ok in an unheated (but never cold) tank?

Hi all,
How do they do in the community tank? Also would they be ok in an unheated (but never cold) tank?
Rams are best kept above 27oC so the answer to this one is definitely no for the temperature. Other dwarf cichlids are compatible with community tanks, like Laetacara dorsigera (not blue), Apistogramma borellii and A. trifasciata (both blue) and are OK in cooler tanks.

I haven't kept the EB Rams, but they are apparently similar to "ordinary" German Rams to keep, but fry survival is much poorer. It is really difficult to get healthy stock of most Rams, and they aren't ever "an easy fish" but if you do get good stock they aren't impossible to keep in softer water.

Have a look here for details: <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php>. The whole "Dwarf cichlids" site is pretty useful if you want information for soft water dwarf cichlids.

cheers Darrel

Thanks mate - great site there!

Those cockatoo cichlids look really nice! I'm going to try and find somewhere that sells them near me!

Curious to know what the stocking of these can be. Saw a tank at aquatics live with 30+ in which looked amazing but guess it was a temporary dispay. Can you keep 20 or so in 300ltr permanently like a traditional cichlid tank? Not that I plan too.. Too much £££, just interested.

Like most cichlid tank's where fishes are added usually as juveniles, and in large number's..thing's can work well until fishes become sexually mature.(three to four month's)
At this time ,the fish are far more agressive,territorial,and males /females, squabble for right's to prospective mates and territory.
A single male with four to five females would be perhaps the best way to keep them in number's.IMHO

Back