• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High-energy soil-substrate layout - updated

Re: High-energy soil-substrate layout - hard scape

The usual sequence...

buildingslope.jpg

Soillayer.jpg

Soilretainer.jpg

Hardscaping2.jpg

Hardscaping1.jpg

Next, planting.

what were those two filled bags at the top photo? you used them to raise your soil? good idea.. what was it??

foxfish said:
Have you buried a haggis.....

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race! :sick:

Alas nooo!

jackrythm said:
what were those two filled bags at the top photo? you used them to raise your soil? good idea.. what was it??

:idea: Just filter media bags filled with pool filter sand, but henceforth they shall be known in the hobby as haggis, and those of the ladies tights variety - black puddings or Cumberland sausage depending on colour and morphology.

Yep the haggis raises the soil; soil of that depth would quickly become very anaerobic and probably poison the tank...
...obviously the haggis was a hard act for my hard scape to follow :!:

I'm loving this tank - the dimensions work really well, and it's already got a real sense of depth and place.

But what stops the haggis-sand becoming anaerobic? Surely it's just as deep as the soil would be, with as little water movement through it. Or does the fact that it's relatively inert save it?

sarahtermite said:
I'm loving this tank - the dimensions work really well, and it's already got a real sense of depth and place.

But what stops the haggis-sand becoming anaerobic? Surely it's just as deep as the soil would be, with as little water movement through it. Or does the fact that it's relatively inert save it?

Good question, and I think you've already answered it yourself; its inert nature makes it much less likely to pollute the tank.

Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them, but if the soil layer is any deeper than around 4cm there is a danger it will become too anaerobic.

If the sediment is too devoid of oxygen plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from it, and heavy metals and hydrogen sulphide may reach levels toxic to aquatic life.

Thanks for the compliment.

ahh this is ideal then! i may use this technique in my new nano set ups.. where do you get that amount from?? it seems u have loads! ;)

Troi said:
Good question, and I think you've already answered it yourself; its inert nature makes it much less likely to pollute the tank.

Aquatic sediments are anaerobic by nature and macrophytes have evolved to grow in them, but if the soil layer is any deeper than around 4cm there is a danger it will become too anaerobic.

If the sediment is too devoid of oxygen plants have to work harder to uptake nutrients from it, and heavy metals and hydrogen sulphide may reach levels toxic to aquatic life.

Thanks for the compliment.

I see! I'm definitely going to give this a go next time I rescape. Looking forward to seeing the planting in your tank! :D

How will you plant stem plants down to the soil if you have layered it with netting? was thinking about doing this with some netting in my tank but was confused as the stem plants would need to be pushed into the soil underneath?

jackrythm said:
ahh this is ideal then! i may use this technique in my new nano set ups.. where do you get that amount from?? it seems u have loads! ;)

Check this out - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-GF2957- ... 126&sr=8-3

jackrythm said:
How will you plant stem plants down to the soil if you have layered it with netting? was thinking about doing this with some netting in my tank but was confused as the stem plants would need to be pushed into the soil underneath?

The mesh is around 2mm gauge - small enough to retain the soil but large enough for plant roots to enter. Plants will naturally extend their roots down through a sand or gravel cap - and soil retainer - and in to the soil substrate below, often in a matter of days.

The phenomenon is known a geotropism and occurs in response to gravity. The advantage of using a soil retainer is that it minimizes any soil disturbance and resulting turbidity during aquascaping.

In addition, I use a mix of 1:1 aquatic soil and moss peat, the fibrous matter in the peat also helps to keep the soil in place.

I have the exact same set up but i cap it with an inch or so of akadama. The peak and compost works brilliantly! I have it in a nano I have now for about 2 months. plants are beautiful....

:)

20120916184722.jpg

Troi said:
The usual sequence...

buildingslope.jpg

Soillayer.jpg

Soilretainer.jpg

Hardscaping2.jpg

Hardscaping1.jpg

Next, planting.

Lovely natural hardscape layout there Troi :thumbup: very well balanced.
Looking forward to this one.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Lovely natural hardscape layout there Troi :thumbup: very well balanced.
Looking forward to this one.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks Ady.

jackrythm said:
really do like the wood, wort sort is it? was that an ebay buy?

It's Manzy wood, this may be of interest - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22242

Back