• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wooden Paradise

JenCliBee

Tank:..... Fluval Roma 125
Volume:..... 125l
Substrate:..... Sand
Lighting:..... Twin 18w T8's
CO2:..... None
Heat:..... Currently none, will likely be a hydor 200w
Filtration:..... APS 1400lph with UV
Fertilisers:..... None but may dose monthly if needed
Handscape:..... Bogwood
Plants:..... Mainly mosses but will randomly place various anubias
Livestock:..... Crystal red shrimp of various grades.

Hi all, since closing most of my tanks down i decided to turn one of the ones i did keep into a very lowtech CRS tank, it will be a very simple moss tank using only bogwood...no ferts if possible and no addition of co2.

So far as of tonight i have the hardscape done, it certainly isn't anything to shout about but will fulfill my needs and ultimately the shrimps. So far the layout will remain as is, i'm a little unsure on the front left side at the moment but hoping once there is moss covering it, it will come into it's own.....

Anyways enough of me rambling, here is a few pics..... comments and criticism is always welcome :thumbup:

FTS.....
DSCF8231_zpsdb22f26f.jpg

DSCF8240_zps498f370c.jpg

Left hand side.....
DSCF8234_zps39a145b3.jpg

Right hand side.....
DSCF8235_zps0700f318.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

davem said:
I like it Jen. Looking forward to the updates :thumbup:

Cheers mate.... will try and update whenever possible, ive got a couple of mosses coming in the next few days so a little progress will happen soon lol :)

jackrythm said:
I saw you were just going for low tech plants.. what sort of substrate u using?? is that sand??

Completely lowtech mate, the substrate is just plain old toys r us play sand... there are slightly nicer coloured ones around but i had this so thought i may aswell use it.

There wont be any plants planted into it so it really doesn't matter what was used in this instance, ferts will only be dosed liberally...hoping once a month but none if i can help it...the low light will aid this (floating plants will help further if need be) and hopefully it will work perfectly with the plants planned :thumbup:

So basically, although i will have much slower growth...i will have to do less in the way of maintenance apart from a weekly/2 weekly water change :)

Danny said:
how about just chucking on a 2L diy co2 for a bit for a boost. still low tech :)

Because it's not stable mate and unstable co2 leads to problems as many will know and have experienced :thumbup: .... the other side is i would 'need' to add ferts which the whole point really was to use none... adding co2 basically makes everything else harder to balance and more work involved in trying.

P.S.... adding co2 turns it into hightech also ;)

Also just not sure whether u are aware but I know a few people that have previously used play sand, I actually used the exact sand u did and we seemed to find after 5-6 months the sand became anaerobic and smelly also causing really bad blAck green algae which everyone knows as one of the worst :( I know some proper find it ok if for instance they have a small amount or some sort of fish that agitates the sand to stop the pockets within the sand becoming dangerous. But It would be very interesting to see how yours pans out. It looks great and can't wait to see if your sand gives you grief.. I hope not as it's looking pretty cool :)

jackrythm said:
Also just not sure whether u are aware but I know a few people that have previously used play sand, I actually used the exact sand u did and we seemed to find after 5-6 months the sand became anaerobic and smelly also causing really bad blAck green algae which everyone knows as one of the worst :( I know some proper find it ok if for instance they have a small amount or some sort of fish that agitates the sand to stop the pockets within the sand becoming dangerous. But It would be very interesting to see how yours pans out. It looks great and can't wait to see if your sand gives you grief.. I hope not as it's looking pretty cool :)

Hi mate.... yep this can be a problem with sand but ive found lots and lots and lots of MTS lol work wonders at turning over the sand to avoid these sort of problems..... i also turn the sand weekly while doing water changes anyways... again to try an avoid it as best i can. Hopefully it wont be an issue but because nothing will be planted in the substrate i can easily change it if i do continuingly have them sort of problems :thumbup:.

Thankyou for the kind words aswell mate :thumbup:

Looking really good jen, i can wait to see how this progresses, and make sure you get loads of different mosses cuz i want some ;)

jagz said:
Looking really good jen, i can wait to see how this progresses, and make sure you get loads of different mosses cuz i want some ;)

LOL... cheers Jagz, i have a couple coming with more planned... just not to sure on final ones just yet though ;)

Back