• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants fish & shrimp

Lisa1

Hi
I have a small 25L fish tank which now lives in the kitchen in a little alcove, l have planted it with plants, and got bog wood in there, and have got 4 mountain minnows in there, l recently added 5 cherry red shrimp, but my fish are acting very strange, they are just staying at the top of the tank, and not moving about much, l have done checks on the water and everything is fine there. So l am wondering if my kitchen is too warm for them, as l know cloud minnow like it cooler, will my plants be ok in cooler temps as l was thinking of either turning the temp right down or off and maybe just putting it on when it gets really chilly at the moment temp is around 23.

Thank you

No
They are just hanging about the top, not interested in food, every now and again they come out from the corner go across the top of the tank all together and then back to the corner. They are normally so lively

Yes they are most of the time, but every now and again they flash them is that the right saying.

Today I have done a water change, l checked for Ammonia nitrite and nitrate all the results came back clear but like l say l did the water change good 30% but its not made any difference to them at all. l am at my witsend just one last hope it might be that they are too warm or a bit lonely

Um l dont know l have never kept shrimp before they are out and about in the tank they are pretty much the same as when l first put them in, but l would not call the active but they are moving a bit more than the fish ~ sorry l know that is a really dumb answer but thats the best way l can describe it, they are only really small and they just seem to be walking on the gravel and plants but not seen them swim in the water.

you do dechlorinate? is there much surface agitation?

Yes l have used tap safe, and yes there are bubbles being caused by the filter return arm.

I am wondering as l have them in the kitchen on the work top, if they are not happy in where they are, as although its not the busiest kitchen they are on the work counter next to my computer but they may be scared as they be in direct line for people coming and going getting plates cups etc, maybe l should move them

how did you set up the tank and how long has it been running?

Its been up and running for about three months now, but l moved it to the kitchen because of my new tank about 3 weeks ago. Once new tank had finished cycling l put most of the fish into the new tank, but not these ones, however my heater broke so l did take them out and put them in the new tank for a couple of days until l got it replaced, l moved them back about a week ago at first they seemed fine but now they are acting strange l don't know if its maybe because they are now on their own or the location. As my water params are ok. I want to put them into my bigger tank but the galaxy rasbora l want are not up for sale yet so l need this tank to still tick over, then l will move them just so long as my water parameters are ok

where you getting the galaxies from? how are the gills on your fish? are they red?
maybe it is just a location thing? if there was a water issue the shrimp would show it by dying.

Maidenhead Aquatics have them in, though not up for sale at the moment, maybe in a week or two, not lost any shrimp yet but then they only been in about 5 days, they seem to be colouring up nicely four are turning a real red colour and one is much paler more mottled. They gills seem ok, l have moved them to a quieter corner and one has gone down the bottom of the tank and kind of wedged himself into some plants the others are still at the top. Will test water again tomorrow and see how things are doing

Back