• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MOSS I.D.

A

Antipofish

Hi
I inherited a moss covered bit of redmoor root with a tank I recently purchased. I am trying to work out what type it is. It feels quite springy and sponge like to the touch. It was quite algaefied when I got it but some TLC, CO2 and ferts seems to have it perking up a bit but I have noticed that bits do break off and it annoys the heck out of me having to clean the filter strainer every day, LOL.

Any ideas what moss it might be and also if this "breaking off" of little pieces is normal ?

Cheers

stick a pic up? Or Maybe you are trying to be awkward! ;)

darren636 said:

Strange comment. Why would someone try to be awkward when they are trying to get some information ? :rolleyes: I just didn't have the time this morning to take a picture. Thought my description might have sufficed. I will add one shortly.

Re: MOSS I.D. Pic Added

Here is a pic of the moss in question.

moss.jpg

Excuse the quality, took it on the phone cam.

Antipofish said:
darren636 said:

Strange comment. Why would someone try to be awkward when they are trying to get some information ? :rolleyes: I just didn't have the time this morning to take a picture. Thought my description might have sufficed. I will add one shortly.
that was an 'in joke' you dont' remember?? :lol:

darren636 said:
Antipofish said:
darren636 said:

that was an 'in joke' you dont' remember?? :lol:

LOL I can hardly remember my name mate, let alone "in jokes" :oops:

Gary Nelson said:
Yep, deffinately mini pelia :thumbup:

Thanks for the confirmation Gary :thumbup: Its now on the for sale forum at a bargain price, if you want it 8)

LondonDragon said:
How big is that, difficult to get a sense of scale, bear in mind mini pellia or coral pellia is very very tiny.

Lol, maybe you read the first post before I amended it. The box it is in is 12" x 7". Its a good fist worth.

Hi all,
It isn't strictly a "moss", it is a "thalloid liverwort". Mosses and liverworts used form the division "Bryophyta", but because this is thought to be a "paraphyletic grouping" of plants it is now split into 3 monophyletic groups, mosses (Bryophyta), hornworts (Anthocerotophyta), and liverworts (Marchantiophyta).

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
It isn't strictly a "moss", it is a "thalloid liverwort". Mosses and liverworts used form the division "Bryophyta", but because this is thought to be a "paraphyletic grouping" of plants it is now split into 3 monophyletic groups, mosses (Bryophyta), hornworts (Anthocerotophyta), and liverworts (Marchantiophyta).

cheers Darrel

Blimey Darrell, no wonder you got your name up in blue lights mate :) Thanks for the clarification. :wideyed:

Back