• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

downer. moss didn't attach to coconut shell

NatureBoy

Hi

I attached peacock moss to coconut shell fragments ( i removed all the husk fibre...a mistake?) with superglue blobs, all looked pretty as a lawn and thought that in time the moss would kind of attach itself with new growth, as the glue wore away. The peacock moss does not seem to show any interest in helping here as it grows away from the coconut rather than bind to it. I'm guessing this is in part due to the horizontal vs light source trade off at the bottom of the tank.

Either way the moss I have isn't performing like it I planned.

my question is: do you know the best moss that "creeps" along the bottom and actually attaches to horizontal wood / coconut shell, etc and can withstand a bit of a hoover, etc without dis attaching? Was hoping for a "trendy" moss rather than old faithful java...

cheers then!

Gary

I don't really trust superglue, it has to be the gel kind or something aswell.

Best thing to do is tie it down really well, with cotton sewing thread - get dark green or something so you cant see it.

It looks kinda crap for a few weeks, then it will start growing like wildfire in the right conditions.

yep, went and did that! instantly looks better and the moss (a fresh batch from windowsill) is getting happy. I think the gel superglue is pretty cool for ferns, etc that attach in time, but for plants that don't naturally attach it's a no no as far as I'm concerned.

I used the "invisible" thread from wilkinson. You actually struggle to see it in the tank.
happy days are here again!

cheers!

Gary

Thing to note is that some mosses do not attach to anything that easy. Only ever had a couple that attach well, one is fissidens and the other no idea which it was lol once in the tank difficult to tell mosses apart!!

Back