• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cherry red shrimp magically vanishing..

jack-rythm

Hi everyone.. before I start I wanna tell everyone that they ARE NOT in my filter..

I seem to be loosing shrimp as now I will be lucky to see more than 3 at once.. I have about 10 shrimp in a 27l nano tank. I found one not moving on the bottom of the tank beginning to turn whiter and whiter.. I looked just now and he is almost white.. He is dead unfortunately but I dont know why? Im now wndering if this is happeneing to all my shrimp??

I dose with a small amount of ei fertz and but half a capful of fluval shrimp safe in each water change.. I have a substrate built up of irish peat moss, john innes no3 compost and akadama bonsai soil, I have riccia and plants that are flourishing wonderfully. I have no heater as my room temp is always 22 degrees no questions. I have tiger endlers and 2 ottos so nothing that may be eating them...

can anyone help?

That's shrimp for you...how long have you had them?

if they are turning white and dying they are not happy with the water for some reason.
are you using c02?
If not im no expert but it could be tds swings due to peat moss and john innes...especially in such a small volume of water....troi may be able to help with his knowledge on these substrates as to whether they drastically effect water chemistry as im sure ive read somewhere that some types increase hardness. I dont know anything about them and maybe your peat moss is to prevent this effect but its just a thought. Also how much water are you changing and what is the water chemistry compared with your tank water, could it be vastly different due to the effects of your substrate?
Cheerio
Ady
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady has a valid point regarding substrate as John innes does raise gh in your tank a fair amount depending on how much you've used but cherries are usually fairly hardy.
I use a little of the John innes in my tank but it has no ill effect on my cherries and big toms bucket of mud had high gh and ph caused by the John innes but his shrimp were fine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well i dont use co2 at all as its a low tech tank and I do 30% water change every sunday, I only used a small amount of john innes and peat moss, most of it was akadama.. my fish seem to be ok.. I dont know they are slowly dying because last night one was fine and through out the day today he has died... :( sad really.. it would be interesting to know if it is te john innes and peat moss... does anyone else know anything about this mixture? I read that this would be ideal for my low tech nano but obviously didn't think about shrimp..

Hummm...

Are you sure that they are dying and not hiding! Only if the dead shrimp is white, it may be a molt. When a shrimp dies it normally goes pink same colour as a cooked prawn!

Yeah very sure.. I mentioned earlier in the post that I watched one turn pink and die the turn white when it saw dead. They turn white when dead just like fish tend to do.. Really unsure, it's not my lighting, it's not my, water meters and it's,not my tap water or Fertz so it must be my substrate?

are there any aerosols used nearby, air freshners hairsprays deodorants etc or any new plants?

Cloudy shrimp turning white almost certainly a bacterial outbreak. Need to treat quickly.

nothing is cloudy? my tank is crystal clear. Definitely not a bacterial outbreak. i have under the recommended amount of fish. and has been in cycle for 6-8 weeks. I have experienced bacterial blooms before and this unfortunately isint.. as for spray cans or things like that, this is also a no no Its in my lounge so nothing like this goes on..

still a mystery ? :(

Sorry mate, I meant bacterial infection of your shrimp. If the shrimp turn milky coloured this is normally the cause.

If you are happy to spend a few quid, I'd certainly suggest investing in a bottle of seachem para guard and treating with this immediately. In the mean time, add almond leaves and drop an air stone in the increase oxygen as this will help to counter bacteria.

If you need some almond leaves, I can send you a few tomorrow 1st class? Let me have your address if you'd like them mate. Cheers mike

somethingfishy said:
Sorry to jump in I have had similar shrimp deaths maybe one a week .. are almond leaves really good then?

That certainly sounds like a classic bacterial problem. Suppose it's hard to say categorically yes that they make a difference but a lot of top breeders swear by them along with banana leaves to help combat and prevent bacterial problems. I use them in all my shrimp tanks.........

Back