• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ditching LED for fluorescent

DHenry

Hello,

I've been running a DIY HO LED setup over my tank for nearly 4 years now. I have made vast improvements of the years to my Co2 distribution to the point where I don't think there is really anymore that can be done. The tank is 40cm (16") cube and approximately 64 litres (16 US gallons). I have a 300lph power head diffusing Co2 through a spray bar at the back and a 750lph external filter also through a spray bar. Things appear to work perfectly with an excellent flow pattern and Co2 dispersal. I does 20ml of TPN+ per week. The tank has been running now for a about 10 months with this setup. I have never had an algae issue. Most plants have done very well except for the HC which grew but slowly and with small delicate leaves not the big plump leaves it arrived with. Plants do not look like they are needing ferts. I know that some plants are more difficult and there could be other deficiencies Anyway, since reading about Green Machines reasons for not selling LED's some time ago (they now sell LED's) I wondered if my DIY LED setup wasn't doing its job properly. I have no real means to test it or anything to compare it to so I'm going to build a fluorescent lighting rig for my tank. I would really just like to see if it makes any difference and there is a lot more experience out there with fluorescents.

So to an all to common question. I am building a light with reflectors and i'm planning to fit 2 x 18w PL-L compact fluorescents. Does this sound about right? Either way it will be an experiment and I am looking forward to seeing what happens. Cheers,

LED's do great job but you need right amount of them. Ideal are CREE LED with 90 beam angle or 60 beam angle. Not saying what LED's you had so hard to tell whether it was good or not.

36W T5 PL-L over 40cm cube should be sufficient.

Excellent. I may re-visit the LED setup in future. I will have ago with fluorescents and establish a bench mark. I may need more LED's. Currently running 7 x 3W CREE. We will see. Cheers.

So if 4 years old then it is XR-E CREE that has 90beam angle? Are you running them at 3W or 1W or 2W?

4x2W CREE 120beam angle is so so for 30cm cube but wont grow HC cuba. 40cm deep tank needs more LED I think or you just run them on higher amp.

Back