• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45 Optiwhite : Thread Finished

Re: 90x45x45 Optiwhite (not yet named)

psycho tetras? ah, i see.

OK So a few people have asked for the specs. To be honest they are a bit meaningless because they will undoubtedly change soon, but for now, heres the score...

Tank: Optiwhite 90cm x 45cm x 45cm with black wood effect stand (PureAqua)
Filtration: Eheim 2078 via Cal Aqua glassware, and Eheim 2173 (thermo)
Lighting: 1 x TMC Growbeam 1000ND Tile
Photoperiod: 6 hours a day with 30 minute sunrise and sunset
Substrate: Tropica plant base capped with Fluval Stratum
Hardscape: Redmoor root centrepiece, dragonstone lagoon featuring Unipac sand
CO2/Ferts: CO2 injected by FE via disc diffuser in tank. Lunapet Regulator and Solenoid. EI Ferts.

Fauna: 4 Corydoras Panda, 6 Corydoras Schwartzi, 3 Corydoras Reticulatus, Trio Apistogramma Nijsseni, 2 Pairs Pelvicachromis Taeniatus, 2 Dwarf Honey Gourami, 11 Rummynose Tetras, About 10 Amano shrimp.

Flora: Java Fern, Various Cryptocorynes, Echinodorus Tennelus, Hygrophila Polysperma, Rotala, Blyxa Japonica, Ammania sp. Bonsai, Fissidens Fontanus trees.

What is likely to change.....

Hardscape
I think the redmoor centrepiece has been constructed in its current shape. My congratulations to the previous owner if that is the case as it is quite unique. And for the scape as it was when I bought this tank it was fantastic. It will be my intention to deconstruct it carefully and recreate a sculpture to more closely match how I picture the tank looking in the future.

I will also be adding some more wood to the new sculpture that I create. As yet I have not decided whether to keep it all the same and get some more redmoor, or to use some of my Manzanita collection.

Substrate
The current substrate is all going to be removed. It is relatively new and I anticipate it being of future use so I will dry it out. There is a possibility I will sell it on, but otherwise I will use it as a base layer for the new scape, and it will be separated from a sand cap using gravel tidy. This way I hope to prevent it from being dragged up when any plants are uprooted, but it should give the nutrient benefit of being a high CEC substrate.

Planting
Most if not all of the current plants will feature in the new scape. However some may not (most likely up for removal is the tennelus, but to be honest I like the rest. I will be adding some floating plants and also some Staurogyne Repens soon. The Ammania sp. Bonsai has now become, unequivocably, my favourite plant. I may add either an aponogeton or nymphea back in. Not sure.

Filtration
The Eheim 2173 will be moved to my old tank which is being set up as a Central American cichlid biotope (alhough not a STRICT one because I will have some robust plants in there... most likely from the Echinodorus family and if I can secure a nymphea in there so that the Cryptoheros who will be finding that tank their home dont uproot it, I will add that too). This will leave the 2078 to power this tank on its own. I have a rena XP2 that I can bring into play, but equally I may consider an external circulation pump or possibly even a Vortech 10 (come on, lets face it, they ARE sexy) lol.

Lighting
The TMC Growbeam 1000ND is about to become a TWIN, lol. One just isnt enough. I inherited two 1500XG tiles with this tank but as I have decided to get a Teszla if/when I go down the marine route, I decided these would be better suited to a reefer and I have sold them to fund the additional 1000ND. It arrives Wednesday. To be honest, if I thought that any of the single unit LEDs on the market (Teszla, AI Sol, Ecotech Radion) would give me enough spread for a tank this size with a decent enough area of higher PAR, I would seriously consider switching. So if anyone knows these products enough I would love to hear your opinions. I am happy to have lower light loving plants on the perimeter of the tank.

CO2
I have a Dennerle Quantum 300 rig and am intending to swap over to using that instead of the FE's. That will be a trial to see if it works just as well, but hey, its Dennerle, lol. I am sure its cool. Just a shame it does not come with the Dennerle solenoid, but I may sell my lunapet reg and solenoid to fund that. Time will tell.

General Scope of Tank
The main purpose of this tank is still to be a planted aquarium. However, it will be playing host to the Pelvicachromis and Apistogrammas that are not currently in the breeding tank (they will be rotated and spawned hopefully, as part of me dabbling in cichlid breeding. I love dwarf cichlids and cannot wait to see little babies swimming about. The breeding pair will have their very own tank.

Right thats all I can think of for now. Rome wasn't built in a day so don't expect major changes overnight, but things are "underway" as they say ;)

Thanks for reading.

darren636 said:
psycho tetras? ah, i see.

Any fish that fight among themselves till one of them is dead within 24 hours qualifies for that definition as far as I am concerned :) Do you want them for your tank Darren, I am sure I can ask the shop to send them on for a price :lol:

too big for me :lol: anything over 2.5cm is a no-no. i'll have some celestials if you have any going spare !!! :lol: :lol:

darren636 said:
too big for me :lol: anything over 2.5cm is a no-no. i'll have some celestials if you have any going spare !!! :lol: :lol:

Dont have any mate. Sorry.

Re: 90x45x45 Optiwhite (not yet named) Light Suspension Adde

Yesterday my second Growbeam 1000ND arrived so I thought it was time I put up the brackets so I can suspend them rather than have them resting on bits of wood on top of the tank, lol.

The only part I am not happy with is the cables. Any ideas on best way to make them disappear ? (And Darren, if you say cut them off I SWEAR I am going to engrave "rinkydink" on your tombstone :lol: )

lights.jpg

Can you not take them up the cable holding the light then down the bracket?

i was going to say... Ahem... That this set up looks bloody fantastic! But i wont now ;) how about white cable trunking? the small box section stuff, think it comes with adhesive backing. in 3 meter lengths.

clonitza said:
Keep them alongside with the ugly green piping :lol:
Tank looks great mate!

Mike

PMSL :clap: Thats on its way out too. Thanks though, its starting to look quite nice :)

ldcgroomer said:
Can you not take them up the cable holding the light then down the bracket?

That could work will give it a go, cheers.

darren636 said:
i was going to say... Ahem... That this set up looks bloody fantastic! But i wont now ;) how about white cable trunking? the small box section stuff, think it comes with adhesive backing. in 3 meter lengths.

Cheers Darren ;) I know the stuff you mean. The previous owner used it in fact. Still means you have cable trailing across the top of the tank though. I may see if I can find some 15mm silver plastic tubing and run it inside that along with the suspension wire.

Thanks for your ideas guys :thumbup:

or mask it with a twinning plant?

looking great mate, would be nice to see it with the tiles on.

ianho said:
looking great mate, would be nice to see it with the tiles on.

I will sort out a decent FTS with lights on etc soon :) Thanks :thumbup:

RossMartin said:
How long are the cables on the TMC 1000HDs??

Not sure, pretty long. maybe 2m ?

wazuck said:
Antipofish said:
RossMartin said:
How long are the cables on the TMC 1000HDs??

Not sure, pretty long. maybe 2m ?

Yeah and the rest ;) mine I remember being run across my attic with slack left while I was testing it.

Lol small attic. I will measure today.

As requested here is a pic with the light on :) I really must start setting up proper photo shoots though, as my pictures are embarrassing :oops:

FTS.jpg

Water level is a bit low as I was just skimming off the oil slick from the top of the tank. WHAT IS IS THAT CAUSES THIS ? GRRRRR ! And I also noticed loads of bubbles on the top of the water collecting at the edges of the tank. Any ideas what this is about chaps?

Whitey89 said:
Plant oils, means you need to bang more ferts or co2 in.

DC is always lime green so cant add more CO2, though I have been a bit lax with the ferts regime so will pay more attention to that. Actually I will up the CO2 a bit and increase surface agitation too.

Could the bubbles be accumulated CO2 bubbles captured by the "oil slick" ?

Back