• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best plants for cold water tank?

1stgolf

Evening all tonight whilst i was doing a water change on my tropical tank my 4 yr old daughter came out with daddy i want plants in my gold fish tank like daddy's tank.
So i would like to know whats the best undemanding plants i can put in to my daughters aquaone 320 cold water gold fish tank?
Thanks

Hi all,
I think the main problem will be finding plants that the goldfish don't eat, Java moss and Java Fern should be all right, not sure about Anubias temperature wise. I think Ceratophyllum should be good in terms of not being eaten and growing well at low temperatures. Anacharis/Egeria/Elodea, would be another option although they may just eat it, and there is always Duckweed (Lemna minor), the fish will eat it but it is very difficult for them to eradicate.

I can't grow Vallisneria, but I've seen it grown successfully in Goldfish tanks.

cheers Darrel

What sort of temps we talking? I have anubias nana bonsai and anubias nana petite in my non heated nano at around 2-22 degrees so if your temps are around that anubias should be fine. But darrel is right! its more about what the goldfish will not eat! as goldfish dont have stomachs so need to constantly be eating to stay alive! they may decide to have a nibble!

JAck

Back