• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Amano / Yamato shrimp

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Some folk also say they have left them up to 2 months in saline water.quote]

I have seen this also and was thinking the same. I have limited options to separate pre and post morph stages with multiple batches.

We had some Krebs give birth last week and my missus made me use my spare tank for them... My office at home now looks like aquarium shop lol.

why do they need saline conditions?why do they need saline conditions?
The larvae are hatched in saline conditions then live in fresh water to replicate what would happen in the wild. The transformation would be gradual and quite difficult to do in a small tank I would imagine. Generally the young of most aqautic creatures are sensitive to sudden change in conditions.

@Richard, I didn't get information from one site in particular mate. I just gleened from various and looked for a general opinion from the people who appeared to know what they were on about mainly forums where people were trying the same thing.
Know what you mean about your house :) when I was into breeding fishes mine got like that. What you need is a shed with some power going to it. I have a unit on an industrial estate but unfortunately I'm not always there and fry need small feeds often. Might have more luck with some shrimp though ;) I have kribs which spawn regular, I just leave them in the main tank a bit darwinian survival of the fittest theory. I usually end up with 8>12 young that make it to maturity. I give them to the LFS down side being I end up wrecking the tank catching them. When these kribs go I may change to rams as my feature character fish.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
@Richard, I didn't get information from one site in particular mate. I just gleened from various and looked for a general opinion from the people who appeared to know what they were on about mainly forums where people were trying the same thing.
Know what you mean about your house :) when I was into breeding fishes mine got like that. What you need is a shed with some power going to it. I have a unit on an industrial estate but unfortunately I'm not always there and fry need small feeds often. Might have more luck with some shrimp though ;) I have kribs which spawn regular, I just leave them in the main tank a bit darwinian survival of the fittest theory. I usually end up with 8>12 young that make it to maturity. I give them to the LFS down side being I end up wrecking the tank catching them. When these kribs go I may change to rams as my feature character fish.

Thanks for all the info....

:wideyed: Im glued. Cant offer much in the way of help except that BTW = By The Way

Day 29

20121007200952.jpg

20121007201028.jpg

20121007201200.jpg

20121007201405.jpg

20121007201425.jpg

20121007201444.jpg

20121007202045.jpg

20121007202105.jpg

20121007202217.jpg

LondonDragon said:
Brilliant stuff, haven't seen this done in the past here, how many have you got?

I think between 60 and 100... most but not all still come to the corner of the tank where I shine the light.

Finally getting some well deserved interest mate. We all have these shrimp in our tank, yet few have got them to breed (Mark Evans I believe did in a standard EI dosed setup).

Keep up the good work, putting one foot infront of the other. :thumbup:

Been reading since the start, looking forward to seeing the progress updates. Oh and ill buy a shed load off you when they are ready :)

Day 33

Things had been going slowly and up to today and nothing seemed to be changing much.

Today I have noticed five or six zoe’s clinging onto the green mossy tank glass (have only previously seen this with one zoe last weekend). Also, I can't see all the way around the tank so assume more could be doing the same.

I did a quick 20% water change and wiped the top two 3 inches of algae from the inside the glass. I just realised that the reason things were looking quiet was because there was so much green algae / moss like coating on the glass it had actually stopped me looking in to the water and seeing any details.

After the water top up I immediately saw one mini shrimp dart across the tank. In a second it was gone and now I can’t pull myself away from the tank hoping to get another glimpse.

As I sit here staring I notice the other zoe’s are doing the usual bobbing up and down in the top half of the water. I feel very reassured things are going well now..... Other blogs suggest the zoe’s will not change all at once and to add to the ‘timing event’ I recall I put in larvae over a 6 to 9 day period (as more than 1 female released her eggs) not to mention I combined my Project B tank with this tank the other week.

Hope to have some pics for day 35 (end of week 5)

Have added foods every day since last week.

Looking forward to the pics.

Back