• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45 Optiwhite : Thread Finished

Re: 90x45x45 Optiwhite (not yet named)

Put an airstone and air pump on for say an hour or two when not lit and no CO2 and this kills the build up of oily film almost instantly.

Hi Chris,
The bubbles most likely are co2 under the slick, with my current failings I've had a similar thing going on. I syphon from under it at water change time to remove it!
You could also raise your lights a bit to slow things down, or power them down a little as you probably have that function :)
Looks nice, any pics of the fish?
Cheerio
Ady

They are fish farts mate, you should know that!

I expect they are CO2 bubbles as well. I had a few until I raised my lily pipe to create a big more agitation. Once I did that the surface was kept scum free (at least as a film) and the gas exchange increased.

Last photo looks ace mate!

ian_m said:
Put an airstone and air pump on for say an hour or two when not lit and no CO2 and this kills the build up of oily film almost instantly.

Does this have the same affect as raising the filter outflow to create surface movement ? I can get an airstone I guess :)

Ady34 said:
Hi Chris,
The bubbles most likely are co2 under the slick, with my current failings I've had a similar thing going on. I syphon from under it at water change time to remove it!
You could also raise your lights a bit to slow things down, or power them down a little as you probably have that function :)
Looks nice, any pics of the fish?
Cheerio
Ady

Cool will adjust the power output for a while. Will try and get some more fishy pics but they are zippy little buggers as soon as I point a lens at them.

pariahrob said:
They are fish farts mate, you should know that!

I expect they are CO2 bubbles as well. I had a few until I raised my lily pipe to create a big more agitation. Once I did that the surface was kept scum free (at least as a film) and the gas exchange increased.

Last photo looks ace mate!

Cheers :) Are you saying my fish have wet farts ? :lol:

Antipofish said:
ian_m said:

Does this have the same affect as raising the filter outflow to create surface movement ? I can get an airstone I guess :)
The other advantage I find having air on is, it agitates the tank in a different way than the flow from the filter, thus moving "settled muck" into the water column to be taken out by the filter. I have a Boyo air curtain running along the back of the tank, slightly above substrate level, that I run from 10:45pm at night until 12pm (2 hours before CO2 on, 3 before light on).

Tank is certainly cleaner now I regularly run the air at night.

Other thing I have noticed that before I put the air on regularly, though can't be 100% sure, was that I was never able to get my CO2 drop checker any further along than green, despite monsterous CO2 mist levels from my in line diffuser. Since having the air on at night, I started to find my drop check being yellow :woot: a couple of hours after CO2 on. Fish seem OK. Drop check is blue in the morning, so it is working.

Currently running, as of yesterdays water change, with no air on to see if tank is dirtier and if drop checker still goes yellow.

RE: oily film - what foods are you using?

A lot of flake foods that are high in protein leave an oily film on the surface (ie. Tetra Pro Colour)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little-AL said:
RE: oily film - what foods are you using?

A lot of flake foods that are high in protein leave an oily film on the surface (ie. Tetra Pro Colour)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sera Vipan flake, Tetra Prima granules, Sera Spirulina Tabs, and various frozen live foods.

Not really feeling much direction at the moment, especially since I am trying to sell this tank, but here is the latest FTS

OptiwhiteSP1.jpg

Re: 90x45x45 Optiwhite : The End

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Sadly for me and happily for Tim, this tank is now on its way to a new home. I found the evaporation and condensation just too much to deal with from a tank situated in the bedroom.

I really enjoyed the tank though, and cannot say enough how wonderful a viewing experience Optiwhite glass can provide. Towards the end of its time with me, the plants were growing amazingly, the water was crystal clear and it was a wrench to see this go. But I got it as a bargain and sold it as one too. Happy that someone as enthusiastic as me will be carrying out some great work in this tank.

I now have a Juwel Trigon should you wish to follow my latest quest. The thread for that can be found below..

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24533

I look forward to your comments :) This thread is now at a close :thumbup:

Back