• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marsilea hirsuta - complete melt

Closer inspection suggest that the plants closer to the CO2 diffuser are doing much better than those further away, including some crypts of the same age, species (and probably motherplant) as those melting.
That would seem to confirm a flow/distribution issue at the very least.

Diffuser is next to the inlet pipe. At a guess, about 50% of the CO2 goes straight into the filter. I think i'll move the diffuser closer.

I've set up the Hydors left and right of the spray bar. Judging by plant movement alone, flow/circulation is hugely improved.

I'm going to add a second drop checker tomorrow.

Remember your inlet pipe to the tank is the outlet pipe of the filter. It sounds like you have it next to where the water is being sucked up from.. being the outlet pipe. It needs to be just off from the inlet pipe to the tank , which is the outlet pipe to the filter. Does that make sense?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7

jackrythm said:
Remember your inlet pipe to the tank is the outlet pipe of the filter. ...... Does that make sense?

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Make sense?..... Honestly? No. :lol:

Inlet = water in to filter. Outlet = filter spray bar. At least in my tank. The diffuser is right next to the inlet so that the CO2 is being distributed in the water returning to the tank via the spray bar?

I think we're saying the same thing?

AndyTaylor said:
Diffuser is next to the inlet pipe. At a guess, about 50% of the CO2 goes straight into the filter. I think i'll move the diffuser closer.

I've set up the Hydors left and right of the spray bar. Judging by plant movement alone, flow/circulation is hugely improved.

I'm going to add a second drop checker tomorrow.

Sounds good :thumbup:
The more co2 you can get into the filter inlet the better as this will now maximise distribution through the spray bar return in the centre. The 2 hydors will help keep the co2 bubbles in the water for longer contact time. If the plants are swaying that's a good sign.
If you don't already have a second dc you could save yourself a few quid and just move the one you have around over the course of a few days.
Keep us posted
Cheerio
Ady

Ok, quick update:

While there is still some melt happening, it seems mostly confined to the older crypt leaves and new growth has started.
The Staurgyne has exploded to life all over the tank so flow at substrate level has improved at least.

25 cherry shrimp ordered to tackle the small amount of algae that seems to have started over the weekend.

Small progress but progress nonetheless....

Pleased you seem to be on the right track bud :thumbup:
Snip off the older crypt leaves and keep on top of maintenance.

thanks ady,

I did a thorough clean and prune last night, moved a few plants around and generally tweaked the layout.

I removed any crypt leaves that looked like they were not thriving and cut back the Staurgyne in an attempt to encourage carpeting.
The floating plant (Salvinia Natans) is growing like a mad thing.

HC not doing so well on the hardscape but starting to carpet where I've planted it in the substrate.

On the right track now, if I can stay on top of everything.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow if I can.

All sounds good.
look forward to the pics.

Quick update an apologies in advance for the ongoing lack of pics. I'll get proper (ie..not phone) pics soon.

So, the flow issues have greatly improved with visible growth in all areas of the tank. Crypts are popping new leaves every day and the melt has stopped completely, Staurgyne has started to carpet nicely, the HC is struggling slightly but slowly improving.
Rotalla Bassi growing strongly too.

I removed all the slow-growing Anubias nana even though it looked nice as it was unable to cope with the light levels that the other plants were thriving on.

2 days ago I added Pogostemon Erectus in place of a Hygrophilia that just didn't look right and it seems to be doing ok.

The 20 cherry shrimp and snail population are making short work of any residual algae like cows eating grass and there doesn't seem to be any sign of the algae trying to return.

Unfortunately, I noticed some patches of Cyanobacter on my weeping moss this morning. I haven't seen BGA in years so I obviously have some corrections to make. I could nuke it with erytromycin but I'd prefer not to wipe out the filter bacteria. :)
Happily the branch with the moss on can be removed from the tank (a fact I just thought of as I typed it :clap: ) so I'll be spraying liquid CO2 on that later........ or would moss survive out of water for long enough to kill the BGA?
Might be worth a try.....

All in all, progress has been made but there's a way to go yet.

Back