• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragonfly invasion!

johnski

I've been finding green dragonfly's flyin about the room for the past few month, but couldn't find anything in the tanks. Until now! I spotted the horrible little thing kind of half out, half in the water in my shrimp tank. I tried to murder it but it swam off. :crazy:

I'm sure I read somewhere that these things are predators and eat small shrimp/fish? If so, they will have been dining on my shrimp for months. :thumbdown:

After the initial attempt at catching the larvae, I came back in to find one half hatched sitting on the heater wire too. :wideyed:

I'm uploadin some a couple vids of 'em now.

Very predatory! They will most certainly have been feeding on your shrimp! There was a video posted recently of one taking a fish and London dragon stripped his nano shrimp tank down to rid it of dragonfly larvae. Get them out ASAP!

Ady34 said:
Very predatory! They will most certainly have been feeding on your shrimp! There was a video posted recently of one taking a fish and London dragon stripped his nano shrimp tank down to rid it of dragonfly larvae. Get them out ASAP!

Yea I'm gonna strip it all down at the weekend. Nightmare!

Excuse the music. It's better than what was coming out of my mouth when trying to catch it.

Sorry to be of no use whatsoever but that is absolutely amazing very disheartening on your part because of all your hard work but nature is pretty damn amazing I never even thought about predatory insects and I live near a huge lake

b1zbaz said:
Sorry to be of no use whatsoever but that is absolutely amazing very disheartening on your part because of all your hard work but nature is pretty damn amazing I never even thought about predatory insects and I live near a huge lake

These must have came in on some plants or something. I just hope they haven't got into my other tank.

Check out the irony of the song lyrics lol.

motionless said:
Savage. Do we know where they are coming from? Are they linked to a specific plant or supplier?

I've no idea. The vast majority of my plants come from other UKAPS members.

I had one myself a good few years ago - freaked me out as they're big ugly buggers until they turn into dragonflies!

Off topic but I have that nano light kit johnski do you know if we can get better bulbs for them? Mine isn't very bright.

johnski said:
motionless said:
Savage. Do we know where they are coming from? Are they linked to a specific plant or supplier?

I don't believe it, but i think i have the same problem!!! I noticed one today!

5uqura9e_zps4d389868.jpg

motionless said:
johnski said:
motionless said:

I don't believe it, but i think i have the same problem!!! I noticed one today!

5uqura9e_zps4d389868.jpg

No two ways about it mate, that's exactly what they look like. It's an epidemic!

Stripped everything down and didn't find a single one. Catching 100's of shrimp is not much fun either! I still haven't caught them all yet and I've been on with it since about 12.

Got a boat load of stems and crypts left over, and they look happy in their new setup.

Whitey89 said:
Make a video of you cutting the Larvae slice-by-slice from its rear end.

Just for fun :thumbup:

Here's a slightly less sadistic alternative lol.

That's actually the staurogyne I got off you months ago. Notice how insane it grows in a low tech! (not) :bored:

Back