• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa japonica melt

D1gg3r

Well nearly a week on from planting and all is fine apart from the Blyxa which has melted away. Crypts in the tank appear fine and other plants appear to show signs of growth. Will Blyxa recover? There are two areas of it in the tank on either side. Bizarrely it's the group nearest the diffuser that have melted the most. Flow around the tank seems pretty good as bubbles of CO2 seem to be reaching everywhere.

I can send you a decent amount of blyxa tonight mate? If you want to cover postage

5uguza3a.jpg

Thanks Whitey89, I will probably take you up on your kind offer, but just want to resolve whatever issue is causing the melt first. Is it common for Blyxa to melt?

Hmm it depends, I think it's quite demanding of co2 & ferts, but mine seems to have gone wild in my tank with sub 30ppm co2 levels.

It was out the tank as of last night and in ziplock bags in DVD box shaped cardboard box. So will be ok for a day of 2 max. Let me know, would rather it be of use. ;)

Digger, what's your Drop checker looking like colour wise. And can you give us a more accurate list of both hardware and dosing regimes.

If there's significant melt around the diffuser, then I would say that the dosing of ferts may not be high enough. But Clive could possibly drop by and clarify if you got a photo or two up.

Whitey89 said:
Digger, what's your Drop checker looking like colour wise. And can you give us a more accurate list of both hardware and dosing regimes.

If there's significant melt around the diffuser, then I would say that the dosing of ferts may not be high enough. But Clive could possibly drop by and clarify if you got a photo or two up.
Hi
Could be... the above, although Ive found that this plant likes a softish planting medium to produce roots...plus it loves extra phosphate.
If the substrate is adequate?.... and also the dosing regime/lighting are okay its probably a Co2 issue.
hoggie

It will melt when not enough CO2 same as crypt but will get new shoots when it adapts..

Thanks for all the replies. The tanks a rio 240. Kept the juwel filter but added another pump giving about 2000lph circulation. Substrate is Fluval plant stratum and I'm dosing EI. Bubble counter was showing about 3 bps and the drop checker a bright grass green, almost lime coloured. I've upped to 4 bps today. If I'm correct in using the movement of the bubbles around the tank as aguide of circulation then it seems to be reaching all areas. Lighting is two 54w t5's with reflectors. Lighting period is 6 hours at the moment. CO2 comes on an hour before the lights and likewise goes off an hour before. No fish yet. All plants including HC doing fine apart from Blyxa. (Hope I've not jinxed myself with that comment :) )

Hi
I would give the Blyxa a few weeks to settle its a very slow to get going sometimes,clean up the plant of dead/dying leaves.
Check a couple for new roots and under substrate melt...this will give you a better idea on how its adapting.
If you find melt trim back to healthy tissue.... replant.
Cheers
hoggie

Back