• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Complete beginner

Ziabis

I am pretty much a complete beginner. :oops: Let me just say that I have a 1000 questions but have not a clue where to start. I have a 30g.

I am going to be setting up a live planted tank this weekend.
I read that I need Co2 (DIY kit), substrate (fluval stratum), good lighting (I bought a T8 17watt Full spectrum bulb.
and plants of course...

But it can't be that easy, can it. I keep reading that I need to do what seems to be 100 things every day. It can't be that hard can it?

I read and read but keep getting conflicting info and then info on top of info then more info and then I get so confused
that I lose it all and have no clue what to do?

If any one can give me a planting tank 101 course that would be great. But I am very confused... :?

I would appreciate any help for a total beginner. Please be patient with me. Thank you

Estimative Index is easy, or perhaps a simpler method further by using an all-in-one fertiliser such as Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus which has nitrogen, potassium and phosphate as well.

So are you saying that is about all I have to do after the tank is setup?

What about this co2 amount in the water, how do I know how much or how little?
How do I measure the ph and amonia?

Drop checker is the easiest way to monitor CO2 levels - if it's lime green it's fine, yellow too much, blue not enough.

Hey Ziabis, i'd Skip the co2, firstly as diy co2 is notorious for causing a lot of issues with algae, secondly having diy co2 on a 30g with 1 x 17w T8 simply wont be worth it. Think of it this way, we add co2 so that we can add more light to get faster growth, low light means no need for co2, in no way is it necessary mate.

Starting up with an all in one fert will be the best way while you learn, here is a good option as nry said.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tropica ... -1038.html

Best advise i could offer is to use your first tank as way to learn to grow plants, dont try and do too much. keep the light period short to start with.. maybe 6 hours and increase it if you need or want to later. Plant heavily from the start even if it isnt the plants you want. Fast growing stems are great to have in a new tank then replace them later if you wish. Keep the tank clean!! The cleaner the tank the less issues you will encounter. Aim for around 10x turnover of your water an hour, so around 1000 litres an hour would be good, using a spraybar along the top back of the tank is a safe bet to getting good flow all round the tank, but not guaranteed!! If you can grow plants well then algae normally wont be an issue.
Unfortunately it really is the case that you just have to go for it and learn as you go, if there was an easy solution we would all have amazing tanks.

It would be worth you starting a journal with all the specs of your tank, lights, filter etc that way you will get more specific advise to you set up.

good luck, dont be afraid to ask as you go along.

thank you for the info, but no offence, but everywhere i read says that co2 is a must. this is where i get confused with conflicting info...I hope you can understand, i am not sure what to do now?

I do agree that this will be a learning experience and do agree that I plant as much as possible and keep a journal, but im so confused.

i will do the bubbler and also have a circulation pump as well..

What is the reasoning of short duration light. I thought that plants required at least 10 hours a day?

how do i test for ph and amonia and what are the levels i should be looking for? Also when i do find the levels, HOW do i rectify?

I appreciate all the help sir... As i am at a loss...
Thank you...

Forget about Ph and amonia measuring as there is no need unless you are after a specfic reading on the ph for breeding fish etc. The water that comes out of the tap will be fine.
There are alot of plants that dont require co2. The higher the intensity of the lighting the more co2 is required. The light you have is low intensity so there is no requirement for it.
You can use it if you choose to but as has been suggested dont use diy yeast based as it produces co2 in fits and starts and will end up leading to algae issues. If you dont want to use a pressurised system you can try liquid carbon like Easy Carbo or Excel.
You will find most plants only need 8hrs or so a day but they will be fine with less and the less light the less likely you are to have algae issues.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

co2 is no way a must.. im with nry on this one, I have 4 nano cubes no fertz or co2, all low tech plants and shrimp no filtration no heating and my plant growth is wonderful. as a beginner I would definitely avoid co2 until you have a better understanding of plants and their needs.. if selected well the use for certain apparatus becomes obsolete. have a look at the tropica website. on there you will find categories of low-high tech plants. this was you can plan and understand what works best for YOU. We all have different methods. The best way to find out is to try and fail. Just start your tank learning and be prepared to make a cock up. this is the best way to learn :) I have made many mistakes learning this hobby and I have only properly understood something after that. check out the plant guide on tropica. its sure to help :)

No problems with where your from you'll get all the help you need from here.
It is a good fertiliser but only contains micro nutrients you will also need to supply macro nutirents as well If you can find it Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus is ideal and will keep things simple for you while your learning

Ziabis said:
semi off topic question, can substrate which I do have, can it be covered with a layer of gravel?
Can be but no need and you may find the gravel sinks through it as the fluval substrate is pretty light

if you go to the petsmart site and look up the products, could you tell me which is the better, if they have any other choices, for fertiliser and co2? thank you

I was and am planning to get alot of plants, but I think I may need to buy more substrate, is this mandatory?

ok I do have another place that is much more professional and it 100% geared to aquariums.

it called Big Als its just further away and I dont have a car, but thats fine...
Big als may carry Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus

Back