• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bacopa Caroliniana problem?

Brian Murphy

About a month ago I bought some Tropica plants and my Bacopa Caroliniana has lost all of its lower leaves ?? I had been using a newly bought Co2 system but had to remove it as it wasn't working properly so waiting on a new one. I recently in the last week have been using Easylife Profito but it has lost its leaves for more than a couple of weeks. Heres a pic of it in the left hand side after planting and then after pics from today.

After Planting
A7525B8C-335B-4F87-859B-A1E5FC529B20-2769-0000039842BEB3EB.jpg

Today
4E3F8789-ECC9-482F-AA51-3BC22DE7FBD3-5144-00000432C6CA4B16.jpg

1AA2994D-0001-4AE2-B429-8B39EF76C099-5144-00000432CBE298C9.jpg

7FD74C0B-F094-45DE-AC33-ED8ED0CD0C8D-5144-00000432D19FAAB2.jpg

what fish have you got in there that looks slightly eaten to me

Only saying that becuase look like whats i have left over after i feeding my cichlids a bunch of cuttings they munch all the soft leaves

also the plant look very vibrant and now looking poorly at all

I would almost say you fish like the taste of it

Ive just seen the krib bet hes stripping leafs of as sign of dominance or cortship

Have you got female in there as well

sussex_cichlids said:
what fish have you got in there that looks slightly eaten to me

Only saying that becuase look like whats i have left over after i feeding my cichlids a bunch of cuttings they munch all the soft leaves

also the plant look very vibrant and now looking poorly at all

I would almost say you fish like the taste of it

Ive just seen the krib bet hes stripping leafs of as sign of dominance or cortship

Have you got female in there as well

It is a female Krib and it was seperated from a male in my other tank and that was after the leaves 'disappeared' .... I have swordtails, bala/silver sharks, pleco, panda corydoras, rummynose tetras, ember tetras, harlequin rasboras .... maybe the swordtails?

This is a textbook case of what happens to an aquatic plant when a a newly bought Co2 system is removed due to not working properly and the hobbyist continues to obliterate the plants with 200 megawatts of photonic radiation.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
This is a textbook case of what happens to an aquatic plant when a a newly bought Co2 system is removed due to not working properly and the hobbyist continues to obliterate the plants with 200 megawatts of photonic radiation.

Cheers,

I didn't know I had appeared in one of your textbooks but thanks for your reply :lol: I have reduced the amount of hours per day that they get light to around 6 hours per day .... I did have it on for 10 hrs+ at the start :oops:

ceg4048 said:
You need to reduce the intensity, not necessarily the duration.

Cheers,

How would I go about that considering 2 at the back and 2 at the front unless I have the back 2 on for a certain period of time and the front 2 on for another period of time? but how much time for each? Hopefully getting the Co2 in by end of week ... fingers crossed!

Well, I mean, who cares whether they are in back or front? Pick any two, turn them off, and keep them off. In fact, if it will only be a few more days, they would probably benefit from having all the lights tuned off until you get CO2. Also, when you do get your CO2, it would be a grave mistake to suddenly blast them again will all 200 megawatts immediately. Your plants are dying from radiation poisoning. Look at how the stems in the back are turning to mush. That tank looks like it's been hit by particle beam weapon fired from a Klingon Bird of Prey. Read the following threads to gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles at work:
Cause of death?
What causes leaves to melt, and what to do now?

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Well, I mean, who cares whether they are in back or front? Pick any two, turn them off, and keep them off. In fact, if it will only be a few more days, they would probably benefit from having all the lights tuned off until you get CO2. Also, when you do get your CO2, it would be a grave mistake to suddenly blast them again will all 200 megawatts immediately. Your plants are dying from radiation poisoning. Look at how the stems in the back are turning to mush. That tank looks like it's been hit by particle beam weapon fired from a Klingon Bird of Prey. Read the following threads to gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles at work:
Cause of death?
What causes leaves to melt, and what to do now?

Cheers,

Thankyou so much for that very informative read :D I was always of the understanding that the uptake of nutrients stopped when the lights went off but reading that just opened my mind. Maybe I wasn't listening at school or it was just too basic or maybe I've forgot lol. I am finally getting a grasp of whats happening to the plant. My goal now is to try and save it using this new found knowledge. It's what the hobby is all about trial and error and picking up vital knowledge .... thank you again :thumbup:

saves me from starting a new thread ..... thanks ceg for reminding me of this thread :)
Still having problems with my plants and Im almost sure its down to flow/distribution. Co2 is premixed in a mixer/reactor inline on my allponds 1400 l/h uv filter, I've lost a little flow due to thinner hosing but have added a second allponds filter but a bigger 2000 l/h filter. Both are using spray bars pointing to the front of the tank so the Co2 from the one spray isn't getting the chance to get to the other side of the tank cause the flow from the other spray bar is just pushing it back. Im thinking of getting a new UP inline atomiser so I can get the flow rate back up a little by reverting back to the original hosing but Im still left with the distribution of Co2 problem ..... any ideas? Would I need to split the Co2 into 2 lines and have an UP inline atomiser on both filters?

Yes, the easiest thing to do is to just use a "Y" or "T" joint on the gas line and port each of the two split lines to a filter inlet. Also, you can always supplement the CO2 using heavy handed doses of liquid carbon as long as you don't have any that are sensitive to to it.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Yes, the easiest thing to do is to just use a "Y" or "T" joint on the gas line and port each of the two split lines to a filter inlet. Also, you can always supplement the CO2 using heavy handed doses of liquid carbon as long as you don't have any that are sensitive to to it.

Cheers,

Cheers ceg ..... I am dosing EI and easycarbo ..... at present Im going by the recommended dosing on the bottle and adding 10ml daily to my 400l tank .... I know your one for ripping up the instructions when it comes to ferts, what do recommend on easycarbo dosing?

I'd probably use 30ml daily, but again, it depends on what plants are in there as well as how much money you have. Check AquaEssentials and other sponsors for their equivalent liquid carbon house brands, loads cheaper.

Cheers,

Back