• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55cm 'On the sea shore'

Mark Evans said:
Gill said:
Ohhhh You got a stunning Male Clown, great colors on him, you can see him courting the female in the Vid.

All 3 males are of equal colour Gill. The females are quite pretty too.

Often with fish, there's usually a dominet one which looks better than the rest, but these are even in colour. :D

Great, shame you did not want mine, as they all have some growing to do.

Gill said:
Great, shame you did not want mine, as they all have some growing to do.

I'm not really 100% on fish in the post to be honest Gill :( thanks anyway.

viktorlantos said:
Love the vid mate. Hope you do not mind if i share it on FB. Perfect example for any scapers.

I dont mind at all Viktor. Infact, i presume youve posted it?....the hit's on you tube have increased a lot. :thumbup:
Also, thanks for the kind words.

Sure, the lower lighting has just about got rid of all of my problems. Sure things are slower but this is good for me.

ianho said:
Wow they have coloured up brilliantly...more so than in the shop. Excellent video mate.

Cheers Ian! :wave:

When i went to living waters i picked a few plants. I saw this rotala indica (rotundifolia?) and i had to try it. It was bright red. So what i have done is, placed it in the tank (still bunched) and i'm waiting to see if it comes back red or green. Red plants are doing my head in.

It's not to stay full time, but more of an experiment.

8113668598_378eaf139d_b.jpg
rotala-indica by saintly's pics, on Flickr

wow, that is red isn't it!

you'll have to grab us a couple of bunch's of that when you're next down that way.

hey mark lovely red plant been well cared for if it is indica and not rotundifolia the leaves should stay roundish in shape as opposed to the ovalish shape of rotundifolia which will turn more pink it does look like you have the genuine article there mate i should get myself down to living waters for some decent moss sometime im sure youll keep it red mate :thumbup:

Mark, if you would buy a lighting unit around these days, would you go after a low light version only? Seems like you're more than fine with less light.

Or you would pay the extra just to have that for photo sessions or if you change your mind and give some midday burnst or just go in with a bit more light if that's needed?

It's amazing you have probably the best unit out there on the market these days and you only use just a tiny part of it :D

Ps: i am glad the youtube got a boost :D well deserved my friend. i hope you already enrolled to the $$ program at youtube :lol: :D :thumbup:

ianho said:
you'll have to grab us a couple of bunch's of that when you're next down that way.

Sure mate. I'm down there on Thursday! :thumbup:

tim said:
hey mark lovely red plant been well cared for if it is indica and not rotundifolia the leaves should stay roundish in shape as opposed to the ovalish shape of rotundifolia which will turn more pink it does look like you have the genuine article there mate i should get myself down to living waters for some decent moss sometime im sure youll keep it red mate

The guy @ living waters knows his stuff. It's indica for sure, acording to him.

viktorlantos said:
Mark, if you would buy a lighting unit around these days, would you go after a low light version only? Seems like you're more than fine with less light.

Or you would pay the extra just to have that for photo sessions or if you change your mind and give some midday burnst or just go in with a bit more light if that's needed?

Good question Viktor.

I asked myself the same thing before buying it. I then decided on this unit for a few reasons.

1. The reflector design is amazing, and gives the most even distribution I've ever seen.
2. Versatility! I can opt for just 2 x 54wt5 for layouts like this (medium category Tropica) the layout contains not many fast growing plants so I don't want too much light.
But later on, if required, in a layout that has many stems, then I can use the metal halides and get thick dense stems.
3. Looks. This unity looks amazing and is built like a tank!

I nearly opted for the 2 x 54wt5 versions, but this unit gives me many more options.

I've noticed on many ADA tanks @ NAG, that Mr Amano uses the T5/MH combo. I think (not 100%sure) that he does a similar thing.

I will, soon, start to use the MH for an hour 'burst'

When it comes to photography, and final images, I won't use the tank lighting. No real control. But for the last few images posted, it will do. However, the unit is good for video, but I would like to buy dedicated constant lighting.

tim said:
i have heard that darren at living waters knows his stuff mark so indica it is must get my lazy self down there seen this grown once in a friends tank its almost burgundy rather than red stunning form of rotala :thumbup:

I can second that. Darren is a top bloke. Not only does he know his plants, he knows his fish too. Keep telling him he needs to relocate to the south coast :D

How do you guys intend on taking your tanks to the event? I'm going so look forward to meeting you. But how will your process become a action ? Lol I don't know how the hell I would get my tank to another room with out messing everything up! Let alone across country! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

And mark - your video is amazing.. such tranquility and perfection. I can only dream of owning something like that in years to come :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wow mate those stems look great, they have formed a lovely ball shape very quickly. Looks great!

tim said:
if it wasnt for those stunning red mark you could name this scape shades of green really is sublime how everything blends together amazing mate

I'll be taking the red out....it's just for an experiment. :D

ianho said:
they have formed a lovely ball shape very quickly. Looks great!

They're getting there. :thumbup:

Not long until i rescape. A few more weeks, and i'll be ready to move on to the next project. :D

I cant wait! I have some massive stone in the back garden waiting to be ploncked inside this tank

Hi Mark, looking great, can you tell us roughly how long a 2kg gas cylinder would normally last on your scape's?
I can only assume you have perfect levels of everything but, it is always difficult to understand just how much C02 it takes by quoting bubble count - however can you also please say roughly how many bubbles a second you are using?
Thanks .....

foxfish said:
Hi Mark, looking great, can you tell us roughly how long a 2kg gas cylinder would normally last on your scape's?
I can only assume you have perfect levels of everything but, it is always difficult to understand just how much C02 it takes by quoting bubble count - however can you also please say roughly how many bubbles a second you are using?

It really is hard for me to say how many bubbles per second i use. I simply dont use a bubble counter. My co2 is quite low. I use a BOC bottle on this tank which is either 9 or 11KG. i'll confirm shortly....

I've had this bottle for the last 4 scapes i think....it's never ending.

An FE (2.5KG) would last 2 months maybe.

Sorry i can be more accurate than that mate. :(

Cheers George. I do hope your well :angelic:

I planted HC in this tank. On the right hand side. It's took a back seat to other plants which are much more invasive.

That said, it's still growing.

Here's an image showing the small amount of HC thats in the tank.

8130347452_64f6d5e7c9_b.jpg
hc by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Mark, one thing I am noticing with your scapes is that you tend to mix plants in amongst other species alot... IE you will have 4 or 5 stems of ammania bonsai in amongst say the HC there, am I right here or is it coincidence, as opposed to alot of scape where you have all the amm. in one area and all the HC in another and so on ? I must say, its very pleasing to the eye and looks very natural that way :)

Back