• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forest of "Congo"

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hello every one ,

Some of you know me since my presentation on this forum.
I am living in Congo that's why I just call my tank forest of "Congo".
I will put some pictures of the evolution of my tank! As we are going trough the time you'll see that the tank become a bit messy, this is because I had to prepare plants for my second tank.

Here is the spec of the tank :

260 l
Temp : 26*
pH: 6,5 -- 6,8
Th : 2
Light : 108 watt T5
Co2 : pressurize 3 bpm in taifun reactor
Fertilizer : EI + calcium
Filtration : 1500 L p/h + a 700 L circulation pump.
Substrate : Congolese laterite + white sand from a small water source.

Set up June 2011.

Here is a picture of the first day.

yryru7u3.jpg

Few weeks after

bypu9ude.jpg

This a pic took on June 2011 after my trip to Thailand where I have been to ADA Thai. They ofer me a lot of plants.

juja5yna.jpg

A month or so after

u4egusas.jpg

Few weeks after, starting to be messy

du6agere.jpg

The tank need now a serious trim.

juresy8u.jpg

Here is a picture of a really nice Congolese plant found at Zongo waterfalls. Now in my tank for more than a month and it is perfect. I will make a topic on congolese plants soon.

gunage9e.jpg

Just after the big trim

babu2aby.jpg

An other pic of the Congolese plant you can also see the white sand from the source.

ute2ana9.jpg

Last month pic

y8y2yre4.jpg

Last picture 5 days ago on every pic the mirror effect you can see is my table for diner that is in glass

edyna5ej.jpg

Hope that you enjoy my Congolese tank ?
I will make an other topic with my new 90 L that I set up last Friday.

As it is my first scape and experience in aquascaping using CO2, fertilizer etc
Please be indulgent with me lol

Thank all the members for your time and hope to have some returns and answer after this presentation.

Best regards
Zanguli

Re: Forest of

Fantastic! Looking forward to hearing more about the Congolese plants. What kind of drift wood are you using?
MIKE

For thé last picture I just had open the tank and push the light back to wall so the bright effect is due to the wall behind.
All my pictures are taken with an iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 !!
I didn't use photoshop or what ever for my picture.
Thanks guys for your time

Cheers
Zanguli

You can even look to other pic that I didn't photoshopped it or flipped the picture, because you can part of the cabinet and the reflection on the table !
Maybe one day when I will know how to use photoshop I will put a nicer pic than this one

Best regards

For the drift wood I don't exactly know wich one it is. The guy who bring me it told me that it s coming from Congo river but he don't know from which tree it comes. It was a huge piece that I cut in 4 parts.

Jack you will notice on the two first pic that you can see the cabinet and part of the reflection on the table. So I didn't flipped the pic or something else. iPhone 5 and pro camera take really good pic loool

Best regards guy
Looking forward for more comment pls
Zanguli

umm thats sounds sweet. I thought I could make out the wood grain but then in the last photo it looks so clear and perfect I had to agree on the editing lol. looks sweet any how ;)

Hi Zanguli,

:clap: Great looking tank you have there. Reading your posts here and in your members' introduction thread makes me realise how lucky we are here to be able to select almost any plant or fish we fancy through LFSs, mail orders or forums. It must feel great to have such a stunning tank full of plants that are so difficult to get hold of!

The other interesting thing is that your tank is not just unique because of all the plants you have imported especially into the Dem Rep of Congo - it is also unique for the fact that you have might well have plants in there that aquarists around the world can not get hold of!

I would really like to see some more close ups of some of your plants and any names you have identified.

I only keep fish from Cameroon in my tank, so in a way I feel we are neighbours :lol:. I keep mainly killi fish and a group of Microctenopoma ansorgis http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21368&hilit=giant+tank&start=70. Plants in my tank are not from the region but one day I would love to have a beautiful display tank with both plants and fish from the same area.

What fish do you keep? Will be following your work with great interest and look forward to more pictures.

Regards,

Andre

Hi Killi69,
Thanks for your comments !
As you said it s really hard for me to get plants that I want ! Because it depend on the stock of the shop when I go on holidays in France or anywhere. An other problem is that when you want to change your scape, you can't just get rid of the plants you don't want anymore cauz you bring them from far away it took you a lot of space in your luggage ! So you have to keep all your plants.

For the Congolese plants I have three type of Anubia
ybebebev.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3epe9a4e.jpg

umeqejas.jpg

On this picture you can see a moss that I have found on a wood piece under a waterfall !! This place is full of this moss ! I'll try to get picture from this place ! At the back ground you can see a long thin plant that I had found near Nsele river! It living in sand and in the middle of the river flow. It can be really long up to 60 cm. bright green when living in the nature. I don't have anymore this plant but I can get more without problems !

gapy6y9e.jpg

On this picture you can see a stem plants from the Nsele river

byha9yna.jpg

On this picture you have to plants coming from the exact same place. They were growing together under the same rock in front of the Zongo falls.
On the left there is a plant like leaves of a pine tree and on the right the plant you already know ! In two week end I am going back to Zongo to take more plants and picture for you guys !

Now for the last picture I think you will be happy Killi69

Here is a aphio found in Nsele river

arygypeh.jpg

jytysy7a.jpg

pade2e3a.jpg

yqanytev.jpg

So that was the plants a can find easily
Near the town of Kinshasa but I am sure there more plants to find !

Cheers
Zanguli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SORRY THERE IS A SMALL MISTAKE !! THE LAST PICTURE IS RELATED TO THE COMMENT BEFOR THE FISH PICTURES !!

kILLI69 I HAVE SEEN ON YOUR PICTURES THAT YOU HAVE AN APHIO WITH THE NAME "MADIMBA" THAT A PLACE AT 100 KM FROM KINSHASA WHERE THERE IS A LOT OF SMALL RIVERS AND HILLS !!! AND I AM SURE THAT WE CAN FIND A LOT OF APHIO ON THIS PLACE !!

CHEERS GUYS
ZANGULI

Hi Zanguli,

Great stuff! This is so exciting!!

Thank you for posting these pictures. The plants look really nice. Anyone know the names of these plants??

On this picture you can see a stem plants from the Nsele river
byha9yna.jpg

So that was the plants a can find easily
Near the town of Kinshasa but I am sure there more plants to find !
yqanytev.jpg

Here is a picture of a really nice Congolese plant found at Zongo waterfalls. Now in my tank for more than a month and it is perfect.
gunage9e.jpg
My favourite!

As you said it s really hard for me to get plants that I want ! Because it depend on the stock of the shop when I go on holidays in France or anywhere. An other problem is that when you want to change your scape, you can't just get rid of the plants you don't want anymore cauz you bring them from far away it took you a lot of space in your luggage ! So you have to keep all your plants.
Hey never mind importing plants, you have a gold mine of plants growing in your back yard, I am so envious. So funny that you are hunting plants from the aquatic trade overseas. Are you able to receive plants through the post from Europe? Just send me a PM if you are looking for anything in particular and I will do my best to get hold of something for you. Off course, there is also a sales thread on this forum which you will be able to access as soon as you have a minimum of 25 posts.

I will make a topic on congolese plants soon.
In two week end I am going back to Zongo to take more plants and picture for you guys !

This is sooooo exciting. You MUST start a journal, I can't wait.

Here is a aphio found in Nsele river
arygypeh.jpg
I suppose you refer to killi fish as aphios? The killi pictured is Epiplatys chevalieri. Really beautiful and seldom seen over here - and certainly not from your location. http://www.aka.org/wak/Ref_Library/Epiplatys/E.chevalieri.htm

kILLI69 I HAVE SEEN ON YOUR PICTURES THAT YOU HAVE AN APHIO WITH THE NAME "MADIMBA" THAT A PLACE AT 100 KM FROM KINSHASA WHERE THERE IS A LOT OF SMALL RIVERS AND HILLS !!! AND I AM SURE THAT WE CAN FIND A LOT OF APHIO ON THIS PLACE !!

YES :thumbup: YES :thumbup: YES :thumbup:

Back