• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Feeding fish

Ziabis

How does one feed the fish when a circulation pump is on?

Seems the food gets thrown about as soon as its dropped into the tank.

What is the best feeding method?

get a spraycan lid cut holes in it, attach a little hook to it so it'll hang on the side of the tank and there's a frozen food cup for feeding.

for flakes/floating foodsd you can get something for pods its like a little circle that floats about £3 :) put your food in the circle and it stays there rather than being spread around everywhere.

nry said:
My fish enjoy chasing it around the tank :)

I was just thinking the same. They sure as hell dont get it fed to them in nature, lol. It also helps to bring shy fish out. Of course you need to watch to make sure some are not missing out. :thumbup:

I will certainly turn the pumps off during feeding..

I do have a semi off topic question concerning the circulation pumps...

I do have 1 fish black phantom that I wanted to keep, because he was in my tank for 2 years.
The live plant setup I just did 3 days ago. Now he seems to want to move into the strongest part
of the current and stay there. He could easily move to where the current is much lower but he seems to like
to struggle in a way in the strongest part of the current.

[b]WILL this kill him, or does he just like the current or something?[/b]

If the fish likes it, leave it be :) Beyond asking it, I have no idea how you'd find out why it does it.

Ziabis, its nothing to worry about. If he did not like it, you can be sure he would seek a quieter location in the tank :)

What I have done is taken two bendy straws and made a triangle by joining them. I then just put it into the tank with one side touching the front glass and it 'sticks' in place due to capillary action and floats there. I just add the food in there and the fish come and get it

I just got some new friends.

6 tiny black phantoms and 3 bleeding hearts

Is it better to feed them once or twice a day?

I feed my fish when I remember! :oops:

I reckon that 99.9% of freshwater fish keepers over feed their fish.

Precious few "standard" fish starve to death.

They would certainly be lucky to find a meal twice a day, every day in the wild. I'd suggest you feed them to a routine that suits you and don't worry about feeding them to a fixed schedule. :D

Mortis said:
What I have done is taken two bendy straws and made a triangle by joining them. I then just put it into the tank with one side touching the front glass and it 'sticks' in place due to capillary action and floats there. I just add the food in there and the fish come and get it

I love that idea....

Back