• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

before i even start

4ft_shaun

hello ive been lurking round this forum reading and what not for a while now, and am setting up a new tank, im not new to fishkeeping, but for the intended layout and acheivment i want from this tank i am going to say i am, the proposed setup is this

48x18x18 optiwhite (already got)
JBL cristal profi 1500 (already got)
4 54w t5s (already got)
jbl proflora m603
external heater
ada soil substrate (3 soil, 1-2 powder). penac p, penac w

i know ive stated 4 54w t5s. being far to much i only intend to use 2, others being there if needed
i will see how the filter performs and possibly add another as id like a spray bar right across the back of the tank
ive chosen the jbl 603 simply to take the guess work out of the co2 by using the control system.

im going for a tank with a iwagumi feel to it but not exclusivley, im still looking into plants etc but im hoping the setup i have chosen will allow me to have a wider scope to choose from and although not make it simple give me a good start. fish will be a secondary thought although i suspect shrimps and alage eaters will be needed at some point

which is my question really is this going to give me a good start, hopefully ill be ready to start this tank round about december, but wont be rushing in

cheers

I know pH controllers are not in vogue but people do use them with good success. I read an article in PFK about a guy in the states who made a fantastic systemised nano (Feb 2012 issue) and he had one on there. I dont think they can hurt but just are not necessary.

the reason for the penac is for the anerobic issues with substrate, i know you cant always belive what you read on bottles, but with me wanting the carpet effect id like peace of mind ive done all i can do with the substrate and adding a few extra quid for a little peace of mind isnt going too hurt id like to put in powersand but that is just stretching the budget too far.

for the c02 sytem im not set on it yet but will invest heavily in a good system wheter it be the 602 or not, the more i read into c02 the more im learning about each individial components and the what, why and hows and might find i dont need the controller.

im looking at setting up once from the start so dont mind a little outlaw at the start and dont get me wrong i dont expect a smooth ride, im in it for the marathon.

Antipofish said:
I know pH controllers are not in vogue but people do use them with good success. I read an article in PFK about a guy in the states who made a fantastic systemised nano (Feb 2012 issue) and he had one on there. I dont think they can hurt but just are not necessary.
I am a member of several US forums, they are great fun- more gadgets & mega watt lighting than you can shake a stick at :)
The problems with pH controllers is that the CO2 flow rate is set high to make the pH drop, when the pH reaches a certain value the CO2 is cut off then it comes back on when the pH rises.
The fluctuation of the PH & the irregular input of C02 causes the CO2 levels to fluctuate!
This is not good for plants but fine for algae.
Lots of folk have tried & failed with the use of a PH controller, you can search the forum for more info but, I think that is the main issue...
Of course some folk use them & get great results or at least claim too & very good luck to these guys I might even try one myself one day but you can find loads more guys using PH controllers asking for help on the many forums!!

It's certainly food for thought and will be looking at a different approach with regards to c02, I'll no doubt have a few questions, but that's why I'm here :D

foxfish said:
Antipofish said:
I am a member of several US forums, they are great fun- more gadgets & mega watt lighting than you can shake a stick at :)
The problems with pH controllers is that the CO2 flow rate is set high to make the pH drop, when the pH reaches a certain value the CO2 is cut off then it comes back on when the pH rises.
The fluctuation of the PH & the irregular input of C02 causes the CO2 levels to fluctuate!
This is not good for plants but fine for algae.
Lots of folk have tried & failed with the use of a PH controller, you can search the forum for more info but, I think that is the main issue...
Of course some folk use them & get great results or at least claim too & very good luck to these guys I might even try one myself one day but you can find loads more guys using PH controllers asking for help on the many forums!!

Thanks for explaining the reasons behind why they are not advisable. Now you put it so simply, it makes obvious sense not to use one :)

Your plans sound good.

Ditch the penac and the PH controller. Run just 2 x 54wt. This is plenty to grow anything.

This grown with just 2 x 54wT5...You can see how high they are from the tank, evidence that more light does not mean more growth.

8079789879_fbd30ec34a_b.jpg
12-weeks by saintly's pics, on Flickr

New aquasoil will leach ammonia, so regular water changes are needed, and don't over stock in the first few weeks.

I'm going down the c02 route using aquamedic regulator and solenoid using the inline method, seems like a daft question but on the outflow there will be an external heater this shouldn't effect the inline method should it?

Also should I add in the cristal profi 900 now giving me 2400 l/h that's a mega turn over and will that cause uprooting, of carpet plantsit's easier for me to add in now as all piping is hidden behind an end panel, I can regulate the flow on theses filters also

Cheers

Add the extra filter, I had a 3000l/h wave maker and a crystal profi 1500 on the same sized tank with no issues.

im looking at the am1000 it states it needs 100l/h yet only has a 12/16 water port connection, so it will fit on the cristal profi 900 but obvisioly this only turns out 900l/h

i was actullay re planning 2 1500 profis one for inline c02 and one for inline heater this will also giving me a full length sparaybar for better (hopefully) distribution, so it does rule out the am100 , so what are the other options for inle c02 using 16/22, the ups 16mm

very creative, i think ill go with the inline atomizer and see how it goes, another concern i have is will the c02 and heat be distributed evenly as althought the spraybar is the length of the tank there separte bars from spearate filters entering one from either side one with inline heat and one with inline c02, that make sense?

foxfish said:
An inline heater & UP atomiser is pretty standard & a very efficient way to go....

thats what all the reading is about to get the best pssible and most efficient start i can

cheers

4ft_shaun said:
does anybody know if you can adjust the working pressure in the aqua medic regulator to 2 bar ?

cheers

I don't think so. I have one and it appears to be fixed at 1 bar.

My plan is to try and use it on a 60 x 30 x 30 tank with an UP Atomiser even though it states 1.5 bar.

Is this what you're thinking?

Back