• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua scape tools

Deano3

Hi can anyone recommend decent set of aquarium tools or what would you recommend I need before my aquarium arrives to trim and plant my carpet ? What general tools are best but don't want to spend a fortune , obviously I will need scissors and tweezers but what would you recommend

Thanks Dean

I recommend wave scissors for carpets.... nice curve for easy trimming. Tgm do one for around £20, I have some and use them for trimming everything. They are both accurate and versatile. They are branded 'aquascape pro', don't know if they are listed online there but if you ring up they'll know what you are talking about :)
Also I prefer straight tweezers for planting as opposed to the ones with an angled end, try and get some with a very narrow tip as it makes planting easier.
Apart from that you don't really need anything else to start....other than the patience of a saint that only comes from the painstaking practice offered in planting up your newly set up scape :twisted:
Good luck
Ady

Like these, the wave scissors are obvious and I prefer the straight tweezers as opposed to the ones with an angled tip, they are easier to work with as they create less substrate movement and therefore in my experience more chance of the plant staying put!

pehehe6e.jpg

Thanks for that mate think I will get some ordered later on when get home, straight tweezers and wave scissors sound good to me. Hopefully get used to trimming and planting but plenty of help on here so sure will be fine

Thanks again Dean

Also do none of the tools rust etc ?

To save some mega cash Mate get them off Ebay, they all do the same job. I dry mine every time I use them so even though they may not be legit stainless steel they can't rust because I don't leave them wet. I got my long tweezers for 8 quid my curvy scissors for 7 quid and a few scrapers etc for roughly the same. I believe they are stainless steel. Had them about a year and no rust.

:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I will have a look on eBay aswel thanks for info also how to u clean glass use razor blade ? Thanks dean I read not to use the magnetic ones is that correct

Thanks dean

When it comes to scissors, buy the best you can afford.

Scissors are the most important part for me. No 2 pairs are the same. You need them slightly tight at the intersection.

If the UKAPS kits are still available, they really are quite good.

The finer the point on the tweezers, the better.

Thanks mark anyone know of the ukaps are still available ? So you would advise buying a decent set from the likes of aquarium plant food etc , thanks again

Dean

Whitey89 said:
What brand are they mark if you don't min me asking? Are they the carbide steel upgrade ones from TGM?

Like the idiot I can be, I lost the contact details of the guy I bought these off. I purchased them @ Vivarium. I know they're made in Germany.

I've put these side by side with ADA tools, and they are seriously, no different.

When I bought them I tried 3 or 4 of each (even though they are identical) Like I mentioned, no 2 pairs are the same, but I eventually settled for the ones you see.

I do a lot of work with the shortest of the 4 pairs of scissors, but the others do come in to play at some time or another.

Deano3 said:
Thanks mark anyone know of the ukaps are still available ? So you would advise buying a decent set from the likes of aquarium plant food etc , thanks again

Contact Dan Crawford to see if there's any. They're great kits, and i used them for some time with no major issues.

I believe freshwater shrimp may be getting some good tools in at some point. Contact them also.

Tryed contacting dan Crawford but says user doesn't exist lol not teed the other one yet I will when get home

Dean

Back