• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie to planted tank?

Soo

Seedling
Hi

I have had a tropical tank many years ago but didn't do well with the plants.

Much of the science of aquatic plant care goes right over my head. If you ask in the shops you get very conflicting stories about the best care.

I have a Fluval Vicenza 180 40 gallon and am running a fluval 205 filter. It has a pair of 24w lights and I used aquatic soil and growth medium for the base. My plants are doing ok but I'm not sure if they need more.

I know they would benefit from co2 but does the tank need more water flow via either a second filter or a power head or an airline?

I was told that the filter would be enough water movement but I'm not convinced.

Which is the best co2 unit with cost being an issue? What is a good fertiliser? and other suggestions please would be very welcome. :thumbup:

Sue

This area is very debatable.. People will say flow is more important than anything others will say co2 etc. it depends on the tank style you opt for. I have 4 low tech nano walstad tanks that use lighting and Fertz but no co2 or filtration. I up my water changes and do thorough MAintainable servicing to my tanks and will have to do so for some time before the non filtration tanks are fully cycled. When they are I will be able to do very very little water changes. It's about what you aim for. I think the general rule is the more lighting u decide on having the more co2 u need. It's about balance. Too much of one thing can ultimately end up in failure.

Jack

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that jackrythm

Ill probably go for a jungle look...I like the idea that things are left to be as natural as possible.

I will have to check if my lighting transformer will take higher wattage of bulbs as well to see if I can make the light brighter.

Sue

Soo said:
Thanks for that jackrythm

Ill probably go for a jungle look...I like the idea that things are left to be as natural as possible.

I will have to check if my lighting transformer will take higher wattage of bulbs as well to see if I can make the light brighter.

Sue

don't let clive see you mentioning upping your lighting he'll start on his more co2 pitch again :)

which btw I don't disagree with. get co2 in get it setup. get a powerhead/wavemaker fitted to give the co2 some nice circulation and start EI dosing your ferts and you'll see growth take off even with your current lighting

Thanks Hinch.

Tank has been set up 9 months now and is doing ok but I just want to give plants the best conditions I can.

How do you put photo's on here?

Sue

Upload to flickr account if you have one or just open one for free, when the pics on flickr just click share then copy the BB code into here.

Back