• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mark Evans IAPLC rank 137

This was such a great tank, the mixed carpet was na at its best and the fist sized mosses on the branches were awesome.
Great photo :thumbup:
Cheerio
Ady

Well done Mark. Well done indeed. I wish there was an award for best picture. Honestly, I don't see much competition there for your shots.

Congratulations, :thumbup: Mark! Great tank, as I have said it million times before and the photography skill....is out of this world!

Many thanks everyone :angelic:

stuworrall said:
Seems you had a hand in lots of the UK entered photographs this year

I've helped 1 or 2, Stu. A bit of advice here and there.

LondonDragon said:
How to beat that next year?"

I wont be entering mate. ;)

Aquadream said:
I wish there was an award for best picture

I'm actually glad the competition is not based on the photography alone. It would rule out some really great scapes that are not captured all that well.

That said, it's my best full tank shot to date. Now i know what to do, there should be no reason for a poor shot from me again.

Again, thanks everyone for such kind words, but as I've hinted, I wont be entering again. There's far too much child like, school yard antics. Cheating and rule bending are not what I'm about I'm afraid.

Every year, the top 100/200 is announced and every year we resort to public slaying of others.

I'll finish my commitments to ROIAPLC and then that's it. A sad time for the hobby in my very honest opinion.

Sorry to hear that Mark. There will be issues all the time. For this or that reason. Same on the judging side too but that is another sad story.

In my mind if you invest in so much time in your scape and already doing these wonderful photographs sending these beauties is not too much extra.

But it is up to you of course. We not born to race on contests and this will not loose anything from your work. That will be better without these contests too.

i will miss you as your last scape i guess is one of your strongest one.

Mark Evans said:
Again, thanks everyone for such kind words, but as I've hinted, I wont be entering again. There's far too much child like, school yard antics. Cheating and rule bending are not what I'm about I'm afraid.

Every year, the top 100/200 is announced and every year we resort to public slaying of others.

I'll finish my commitments to ROIAPLC and then that's it. A sad time for the hobby in my very honest opinion.
Well that makes two of us who feel this way. I am not 100% sure yet if I will retract forever from competitions, but to say at the least this feeling got me to abandon my tank for the past 6 months. I literaly lost any desire to do scapes after all the stir around contests.

Hey guys, don't be like that, there will always be people knocking down others peoples achievements, doesn't happen just in aquascaping, happens in life. All you have to do is stick by it and carry one regardless :)

Aquadream said:
Mark Evans said:

Well that makes two of us who feel this way. I am not 100% sure yet if I will retract forever from competitions, but to say at the least this feeling got me to abandon my tank for the past 6 months. I literaly lost any desire to do scapes after all the stir around contests.

It will be a sad loss to the hobby if either of you withdraw from competition. If for no other reason than to spur newbies like myself and others to have great aspiration. If it were not for your talented and beautiful entries, where would we get our inspiration from ?

In ANY kind of competition, not just aquascaping, there will always be anomolies in judging methods and criticism will abound, either by jealous people who cannot achieve what others do, or by the "ne'er say goods". Regardless of the end result, it is the taking part that is important as has already been mentioned.

Our (or rather YOUR) success comes from having done the best you can and showing the result to the (aquascaping) world. It drives new entrants to the hobby such as myself to want to do better and the fewer scapers like you in these competitions, the worse the hobby will be for it.

Back