• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IAPLC 2012 people vote does this really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktorlantos

Aquascaper
I thought i open up a topic for further discussion.

I remember the time when we had a chat a few months back at ASW about people vote as a new thing at IAPLC.
I loved the idea as it looked like a nation vs nation thing or celebrities vs celeb battle. Which seemed like a fun who can get the best support at his back to win people vote without any influence on ranking.

However partially as an IT guy this always pops up an issue. How they protect the results from cheating. There are mainly poor protection or no protection at all for this.

Meanwhile judging cards will be visible for the best one, we will never know if there was an IP cheat on the contest. Maybe this is not that serious at all. Maybe ADA let it this way. They may be happy that they see large numbers at the voting.

But if you think abut that, the whole live streaming were watched around 1000-2000 people worldwide at the party day. We knew this is a nichie hobby at all.

Tens of thousands vote for a single scape seems pretty unrealilstic.

As it usually happens not only 1 guy do this. There were more of them. The numbers talks for itself.

The total people vote is 176864 votes for 200 tanks.
The top 10 tank got 106378 vote from this
The other 190 tank only got 70486

From 20th there were only 1400 vote per scape
30th 1000 vote per scape
50th 500 per scape
etc..

So the top one got nearly 16 times more than the 20th.

Its not the fault of the people it is the system itself. People vote would be fun or would be a democratic way to select the best one. But it is more of a hack :D

So i am thinking about that. Are there any reason to do these voting? Is this really add anything to any contest?
Or if they let it out only for page load and clicks then is it really something what need to be mentioned as an achievment?

Thanks ADA that people vote only can be added to the preselected top 200 tank otherwise we may would seen funny stuff too. Now a very nice tank won the voting. But this does not change the fact, the voting they had it was not good.

Since ADA removed the page already you only can find the cached one from google.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=hu

Victor if you a clever man you will let go of this bickering.
As much as the popular vote was unesessary and very likey unfair in the same measure as a participant or/and judge on contests you are far from holy and just.

The popular Vote was open for everyone, not just for aquatic enthusiasts. This planet got over 6 bilion peeps population. What is so unusual about 176864 votes considering that many have clicked more than ones for sure.

Besides if you are so much about honesty in the contests set an example by not entering the IAPLC or any of your partners in Green Aqua in the first place.
Make it public knowledge that you are against business insiders entering the contests.

Because really, what is so honest of ADA distributors racing against people like me? And on a top of that bickering about some Internet vote that was supposed to be only for fun. Well, laugh now, have fun.

Forgive me for sayng this, but especially from Europe I can not find not one scape coming from an ADA outlet that is real competitive example or at least something new, not one. But you guys are all there, all in the top 100.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought popular voting didn't count in choosing the winners. :)
Anyway the top scapes in this year edition represent the cream of the Asian kitsch, pity for the entries and entrants that had a little bit of an artistic touch and originality. Europe needs an aquascaping contest otherwise we are doomed to live the Chinese dream. :lol:

Having just entered this comp for the first time this year has opened my eyes to the rule bending and breaking that goes on. I think the peoples vote is as good as any kind of voting TBH. Saying it out loud on a forum with a member that has come first place in a public vote isn't the right thing to do IMO. We could bring a topic up for discussion about the amount of tank entered by one person is against the rules and stops people like myself getting a higher placement, but that would just be pointless. I feel a little sorry for Aquadream after this post Viktor. Well done Aquadream with your 1st place, it was well desereved.

I must say this does seem to be an accusation of cheating which seems unfair to do in public.
What it has done is opened my eyes to the politics that goes on even in aquascaing and sours the whole enjoyment of entering iaplc, both public votes and judged.....that said I feel the public vote is important in removing any product based or retail bias and offers a different perspective, something else to aim for and take credit for. It keeps hobbyists interest in the competition as you don't necessarily need to please the judges criteria to take credit for your work, which as stated in the other related thread, is in some ways better :)
What I would say is that if vote manipulation is taking place then surely there would be more than one person doing it and then it becomes about the genuine voters to make the difference and in the end the real result.
I say congratulations to Aquadream in this achievement, it is a very unusual scape and very appealing aesthetically and in plant health and composition. Although I like the true na style I also find scapes such as this interesting and when executed so well is probably no less natural than those more in keeping with nature style, hence why it would appeal to so many voters :)
It's sad that politics is involved in everything, but lets just enjoy the hobby without all that nonsense infiltrating hobbyist organisations such as Ukaps. It is good to understand the ins and outs of such competitions but maybe in a better placed thread.
Cheerio
Ady

If not done properly then the vote is irrelevant, people should have to register on the site and then only have one vote. Similar to a Poll here on the forum, polls are only open to registered members and only one vote per member is possible.

lets hope they sort out the voting for next time as I'd like to see the real outcome from real votes, ie logged via IP at least or as above registering to vote. I was tracking this through the voting stages and if anyone thinks it was legit they need their head testing, lol

LondonDragon said:
If not done properly then the vote is irrelevant, people should have to register on the site and then only have one vote. Similar to a Poll here on the forum, polls are only open to registered members and only one vote per member is possible.

I am with you on this :thumbup:

One thing i've realized meanwhile i watched the contest live. That popular vote was counted in the total score.
Which was not the point before. Just to see that. People who voted there on the contest in live added 20-50 points to the total score. That was more of a people vote for me. As i've seen popular vote counted in around 200 score point. So that worth more than all attendants to the party. But was counted that was suprised me.

200 points means that 2 judge on the overall look gave the max point to a specific scape. So that is really matter.

I am sorry if my thoughts bring negative things to the contest. I have to add that i am a lover of these contest. Not just IAPLC. I do entered to AGA, Brazilian one, ROALPC this year. I can't run on our local one as we do organize it and sponsoring it. (Not everyone think the same). My home tank got the best rank this year form our team work. It means that we had less time in the shop to perform better. :D

On the other hand it does not matter what rankings i get. As the way you build that concept, maintain it and have a chance to capture its best form is the real fun. So i am not that worried how high or low i rank. You never see any post about it from me. I do not even know where i ranked on people vote. Did not checked. I also asked our board members to avoid cheating and not clicking more than 1. Just wanted to mark it.
For me the whole sting is about memory. You will capture your tank in its best form and will archive it for yourself and to the world. Seeing the tank after your next scape will bring nice memories in most of the times. That's a lovely moment

Like others said at least ADA tried that. Hopefully they will change something next year. I would love to see nations battles. ;)

G's tank is definatelly something what we will remember without any ranking.
I am sorry if my comment seemed an attack in public. I had a few thought and wanted to share it. If i seemed a jerk, well it is.

I still hope things can go in a normal way too.

But then again the whole fun is competing and winning is just a bonus ;) if people win by cheating then where is the achievement in that? Something they can ask themselves.

LondonDragon said:
But then again the whole fun is competing and winning is just a bonus ;) if people win by cheating then where is the achievement in that? Something they can ask themselves.
The same question goes for every single ADA distributor and professional aquascaper that is tight to ADA product line.
If their works are deliberatly placed up front of others in the IAPLC where is the achievement in that?
The whole thing is a cheat from the start right from the very top.
It is designed that way and the distributors know it.
So I say to hell with any pretences. There is no honesty in any of this, but only a grand theatre and we play along for the lack of better options.

Aquadream said:
LondonDragon said:
The same question goes for every single ADA distributor and professional aquascaper that is tight to ADA product line.
If their works are deliberatly placed up front of others in the IAPLC where is the achievement in that?
So I say to hell with any pretences. There is no honesty in any of this, but only a grand theatre and we play along for the lack of better options.

I hear this thing from you all the time. That anyone has any advantage because they are selling ADA products? You are on a wrong path my friend, however just like in any competition some may can get some advantage by their names.

You may see more ADA distris or prof scapers because they pushing the scapes or more scapes along the year. Many of them do better from time to time and keep a level of quality. If you do more and better scapes you will be more closer to the first few hundreds.

I have to tell you that ADA did not know who is a distri and who is not. There are several hundred retails in the world who is selling their products. You're familiar with the registration page. No one sends scape with a mark that it is xyz's shop scape. Only individuals name are there on the registration pages. So then from where ADA should now who is a distri or a retail? They did not know that of course.

They know only the person who they are in contact with on their daily business. In our case I am a one person contact with them. They did not even know my partners name. we're a small and invisible spot on their plate.
And I am sure this happens with many other shops too. Last year I got beaten by my partner and another Hungarian folk :D I can tell you how much distris are in the top 100 from Europe. Maybe 2-3. They are professionals usually producing high quality layout every year. As far as I know only Poland is there in the crème. If this would matter there would be 10 times more at least. Again they have a huge retail chain over the world. Would be impossible to keep track who is who and who need to be "promoted".

I can accept that I may have more access to things, but passion and dedication is not something what you can get with a silver box and a nice certificate. I also had these stuff before we even started a business.

You're trying to show ADA contest as one of the worst contest in the past years. ASW is full of that comment from you. It is the largest contest out there with the best tanks. The contest worked up for it's name and rank in the past decade thanks to all the passionate people who presented their beauty scapes every year.

There will be ups and downs all the time. Success and fails. Good and bad decisions. Closer tanks to our heart or the strangest ones. Will be decisions which we do not understand. I do not have problems with that. I love the zillions of great scape what we can see there. I do not care who is professional, who is an alien or the master himself. I wants to see great tanks and the more is in the top 100 the best we will feel at the end.

viktorlantos said:
Aquadream said:
LondonDragon said:

I hear this thing from you all the time. That anyone has any advantage because they are selling ADA products? You are on a wrong path my friend, however just like in any competition some may can get some advantage by their names.

You may see more ADA distris or prof scapers because they pushing the scapes or more scapes along the year. Many of them do better from time to time and keep a level of quality. If you do more and better scapes you will be more closer to the first few hundreds.

I have to tell you that ADA did not know who is a distri and who is not. There are several hundred retails in the world who is selling their products. You're familiar with the registration page. No one sends scape with a mark that it is xyz's shop scape. Only individuals name are there on the registration pages. So then from where ADA should now who is a distri or a retail? They did not know that of course.

They know only the person who they are in contact with on their daily business. In our case I am a one person contact with them. They did not even know my partners name. we're a small and invisible spot on their plate.
And I am sure this happens with many other shops too. Last year I got beaten by my partner and another Hungarian folk :D I can tell you how much distris are in the top 100 from Europe. Maybe 2-3. They are professionals usually producing high quality layout every year. As far as I know only Poland is there in the crème. If this would matter there would be 10 times more at least. Again they have a huge retail chain over the world. Would be impossible to keep track who is who and who need to be "promoted".

I can accept that I may have more access to things, but passion and dedication is not something what you can get with a silver box and a nice certificate. I also had these stuff before we even started a business.

You're trying to show ADA contest as one of the worst contest in the past years. ASW is full of that comment from you. It is the largest contest out there with the best tanks. The contest worked up for it's name and rank in the past decade thanks to all the passionate people who presented their beauty scapes every year.

There will be ups and downs all the time. Success and fails. Good and bad decisions. Closer tanks to our heart or the strangest ones. Will be decisions which we do not understand. I do not have problems with that. I love the zillions of great scape what we can see there. I do not care who is professional, who is an alien or the master himself. I wants to see great tanks and the more is in the top 100 the best we will feel at the end.
AH! I SEE. YOU MEAN WHEN I WAS IN YOUR SHOP YOU DID NOT SUGGESTED PERSONALLY THAT AS A DISTRIBUTOR YOU'LL PROBABLY BEAT ME ON THE IAPLC.

? so funny... or not ?

Actually I have other memories from that meeting. I've seen your scape from UKAPS before and was a nice feeling to meet you there and see the creator of the scape in person. When you showed me the tanks shot I called my colleagues to show it to them. We always respect a good work. And your scape is definitely one of them. We knew this will rank well this year on any contest.

I had a call with you like 150 times before after business hours and I remember I told you that you will have better ranking, because I do not feel that uniqueness in my tank. I was sure about that you will have better placement than me. But it is the judge panel decision not mine.

So depends on what we want to remember to my friend.... It is a shame how you forcing all this mess.

You're a weird guy really. I am forcing myself to not talk about your Balkan contest experience this year. You're not an easy person. A very talented one as you showed with this scape too, but you make a lot of mess around you. I am stopping the personal messages here. As I am not the guy to do so. The hobby is for fun, that's why I am in. For nothing else.

UKAPS is a place for me to share experiences. So I am quitting from this discussion and go back to the nice side of it.

viktorlantos said:
? so funny... or not ?

Actually I have other memories from that meeting. I've seen your scape from UKAPS before and was a nice feeling to meet you there and see the creator of the scape in person. When you showed me the tanks shot I called my colleagues to show it to them. We always respect a good work. And your scape is definitely one of them. We knew this will rank well this year on any contest.

I had a call with you like 150 times before after business hours and I remember I told you that you will have better ranking, because I do not feel that uniqueness in my tank. I was sure about that you will have better placement than me. But it is the judge panel decision not mine.

So depends on what we want to remember to my friend.... It is a shame how you forcing all this mess.

You're a weird guy really. I am forcing myself to not talk about your Balkan contest experience this year. You're not an easy person. A very talented one as you showed with this scape too, but you make a lot of mess around you. I am stopping the personal messages here. As I am not the guy to do so. The hobby is for fun, that's why I am in. For nothing else.

UKAPS is a place for me to share experiences. So I am quitting from this discussion and go back to the nice side of it.
You should have never even began this discussion much less aiming personally at me.
As you mention the IBAC contest I would like to explain to everyone here how it came to pass.
What you objected in there for, is exsactly the same like what I object for regarding IAPLC.
You work for ADA and enter IAPLC supposely on equal therms with everyone else.
I help organise IBAC with a lot of my time and a lot of my money and just wanted to participate, because my scape was the only one from Bulgaria that had fair chanse of good grading. Nothing else for me in return.
Since it is a Bulgarian hobby based contest it is only normal to hope for at least one Bulgarian participant to do well.

You objected, Luca Galarraga later agreed with you, so did Juri from ASW in my personal talks with him.
So I retratcted to satisfy you guys and supposedly the international community.
So what happen as a result the forum members from Bulgaria have decided never to contribute money from their pockets for award funds on IBAC, which literally left it dead on site. It's no more.

As ADA distributor you are making considerable profit.
On the other hand as IBAC organiser I gain nothing, but spend my own money to make it happen just for the fun of all people that wish to enter.
So please tell me now.
How is it so righteous that you and other ADA distributors can participate in IAPLC, but me as an organiser of IBAC was so wrong to participate in that insignificant and small contest?
You say that you do not have access to alter the IAPLC outcome, but so do I. IBAC is not and was never my personal property. It is a property of Bulgarian Aquatic Encyclopedia. I told you this not once.

Since you'v mentioned it the experience from IBAC 2012 was at the least very unpleasant for me and a major reason for me to stop making aquascapes.
You first objected my entry and then attampted to interfere with our rules by stating how would be right for things to be and then voted in your personal grading my scape as #9 behind other scapes that were literaly poor works in every regard.
Who in his right mind will trust that your judgement was impartial?

I asked you as an organiser to keep to the contest rules as a judge, but you did not do such thing. You just put down you personal opinion above the entry rules and that's it. I told you that this is not another IAPLC and we want every judge to comply to those rules.
The same came from every other judge despite my objections.

So you can be happy now.
I retracted my entry from IBAC, but you are still entering IAPLC and probably will for a long time.
IBAC does not exsist anymore, because the folks in Bulgaria can not continue to support the award funds that are going in the pockets of ADA and other aquatic dealers. You'v probably noticed that the 1st and second place were graded to ADA related dealers in Poland and France. And of course you'v noticed. I know for a fact that you are well aquented with those guys.

But I suppose it is perfectly normal for professionals to enter a purely hobby based contest and to deprive the hobbysts from the opportunity to win something.

The whole irony is that by my participation (that you so strongly objected) and potential good grading the IBAC contest would have endured, because the folks from Bulgaria would have seen that there is at least one sucsessful Bulgarian entrant and the whole contest is not only for the fun of people that live thousand of kilometers away from those that pay for the damn show.

All you can see is what seems right to you and the right for you is what serves you purpose only.
You don't realy give a damn about the hobby, but only for your personal popularity, because it enhances your sales.

If you did you would have listen to my reasons and next year there would have been another IBAC.

Viktor is a passionate aquascaper before being a salesman, don't talk like that Aquadream if you don't know him and don't turn the discussion in a personal vendetta at least not in public. If this hobby makes you so angry you'd better try and switch it to a more pleasant one.

Mike

Aquadream a hint to you. If you really wants to help on locals a local contest only helps better.

I am not responsible by the international effect on your contest. I keep the Hungarian contest exactly the same reason closed from international entrants. As local scapers enforced me to do that. Whoever wants to race with internationals there are AGA, IAPLC and many other contests. You're not alone with that an international contest fail the local scene. Germany's European contest failed for the same reason. Germans lost their interest to race as they did not really fit into the top 10 on their contest. So the contest did not had time to scale up and boost the local scene.

I still do believe opening up a contest for internationals is inspiring. But people fear that all those 10-20 people will get all the award they see in a year. And that is true too.

We open up a contest to be international for multiple reason.

1. to have better scapes - build the contest to be more prestigious
2. to have more entries. as locals would not be enough to do a contest

However just like you said to go on this way will have effect on locals

rather than gain they lost inspiration as they loose chances. and the sponsorship not build directly the scene. so you're not giving back the prices to locals but sending out to those who already won many things and perform well continuously.

Again I do believe you only can learn from better ones. So to do better international contests are much more helpful.
But local ones you will find more sponsors etc and at the end you will help for newcomers as they see more local examples.

Not an easy thing. We're on the opposite side. The Hungarian contest is 4 year old now. I got a pressure internationally that it should be opened. Local scene would need a boost so some racing would not be bad but then again a trade off that some local guys will not enter is not good.

If you see the Brazilian contest they figured out something else this year. They opened it up. But they will not mix the result with international entries. So this way they still can support the local people. Smart.

Now on your contest judging and I really finishing this up now.

Aquadream, if you invite a judge for your contest, do that because you know you will accept his decision whatever it is. That's why you invite him. Because of the experience or any other thing.

Do not insult judges on a judging process in private how your tank is scored and why is that better then any others in the entrants. Let the judges do their work. And accept that they are questioning why your tank is in the contest.
Since we spend our private time to support your contest and the hobby at all. I should have spend this time with my family too.

We do not know who is the owner of each tank. You only see the tank photo and some parameters. Then there is a scoring guide and you score the entrants based on that. This is the typical way and this happened at Balkan contest too. I did not even seen the final list only at the result. So I gave a good faith to go over on all entrants and scoring them on your site based on the guidelines.

You did the same conflict with Luca from Brazil and I had a discussion with the judges and it is a shame that many of them said because of this unprofessional way they meet, will turn out them from contest and will not judge anymore. Including Filipe Oliveira, Luca Galarraga too. It is shame. I also had international judges at the Hungarian contest every year, but I never put a pressure on any of the judges. Not questioned, not criticized. It is a honor to have them anytime with you on the judge panel. And like I said most of them busy people and spend their weekend etc to help you out. If you understand it, you will respect it.

You can organize contest anytime without any pize too. For fun. Passionate people will enjoy any kind of contests if that's well organized. Then no one can say that there are no sponsors or prizes goes out to anyone. Build the local community that they enjoy these races and they will do that without sponsors too. No need fancy names judges and celebs if you think locals can be better.

In our contest I keep the last year winner on the judge panel next year. So it's a nice way of people voice partially too.

I can not tell you enough you're a very talented scaper, but with a different kind of attitude.

Peace.

clonitza said:
Viktor is a passionate aquascaper before being a salesman, don't talk like that Aquadream if you don't know him and don't turn the discussion in a personal vendetta at least not in public. If this hobby makes you so angry you'd better try and switch it to a more pleasant one.

Mike
Actually I do know him personally. And i have no personal vendeta against anyone, only against the system that alows this rubbish to go ahaed and people to point fingers at each other.

viktorlantos said:
I am not responsible by the international effect on your contest.
Yes you are in the most direct way. You ignored my plead not to interfere, but only to act as an impartial judge. You did not listen.

viktorlantos said:
I keep the Hungarian contest exactly the same reason closed from international entrants. As local scapers enforced me to do that. Whoever wants to race with internationals there are AGA, IAPLC and many other contests. You're not alone with that an international contest fail the local scene. Germany's European contest failed for the same reason. Germans lost their interest to race as they did not really fit into the top 10 on their contest. So the contest did not had time to scale up and boost the local scene.

I still do believe opening up a contest for internationals is inspiring. But people fear that all those 10-20 people will get all the award they see in a year. And that is true too.
The very reason you keep your Hungarian copntest closed for international entryes is because you will loose control of who wins and who does not.
Your contest was set up by your company for the sole purpose of advertising your business and the winner is always predetermined to ensure the advertising value of the contest.

How do I know this?
Balash, your partner have told Juri from ASW. Juri have told me. He also stated that it can not be other wise because I quote "it is not good for the business."

viktorlantos said:
Aquadream, if you invite a judge for your contest, do that because you know you will accept his decision whatever it is. That's why you invite him. Because of the experience or any other thing.
No. I do not invite judges to submit to their private interests. I invite judges to comply to the rules of the contest and in this way to offer a fair chanses for all entratns.
I also invite them because they are popular people in the hobby and that attracts attention to the contest.
viktorlantos said:
Do not insult judges on a judging process in private how your tank is scored and why is that better then any others in the entrants. Let the judges do their work. And accept that they are questioning why your tank is in the contest.
How did I insalted you Victor? By questioning the validity of your arguments? Or in any personal way perhaps like you do to me in here? If you can not stand any critics from organisers of contests then you are not fit for a judge. You simply can not be above the set rules of entry and this is it. No judge can. The criteria in a contest is written upfront, before any entries are made and before judges are invited. If every judge can freely bend and ignore the rules perhaps we should call the contest Victor, Luca and so on International Aquascaping Contest, not a Balkan one.
viktorlantos said:
We do not know who is the owner of each tank. You only see the tank photo and some parameters. Then there is a scoring guide and you score the entrants based on that. This is the typical way and this happened at Balkan contest too. I did not even seen the final list only at the result. So I gave a good faith to go over on all entrants and scoring them on your site based on the guidelines.
Victor you know the two winners personally on a almost friends basis. Please don't go cheap on this.
viktorlantos said:
You did the same conflict with Luca from Brazil and I had a discussion with the judges and it is a shame that many of them said because of this unprofessional way they meet, will turn out them from contest and will not judge anymore. Including Filipe Oliveira, Luca Galarraga too.
I am well aware that you attemted to colaborate with the other judges and "warn them" about my unprofessional aproach.
Righ after the arguments with you Michael Wong excused him self for been busy and not finishing the judging. Smart man. He could see exactly where this will go.
Luca Galarraga slandered my work by saying I quote " the wood branches looked to him like snakes and worms"
And you admit that you contacted Fellipe Oliveira as well.
Who the hell gave you the right to go around and talk behind my back. I never had any problems with those guys, before you have inform them about our disagreements.
IF THIS IS NOT A PREDETERMINED JUDGING AND A SET UP OF A CONTEST OUTCOME I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ELSE IS.
But it is all fair, right?
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE FOOLING HERE?

viktorlantos said:
In our contest I keep the last year winner on the judge panel next year. So it's a nice way of people voice partially too.
Of course you do. They are helping the business, don't they? How can you put for a judge anyone just because they won a contest once? Does that make them experts enough?
viktorlantos said:
I can not tell you enough you're a very talented scaper, but with a different kind of attitude.
Yes. By your words I'm a very wierd guy that messes around him self a lot. That is what you'v said.
But the truth about the mess is that all I want is equal chanses for all entrants including me, but you ADA guys will never let this happen.

WHERE IT ALL STARTED.

From your e-mail Victor in, which you'v stated and I quote - "Hi Georgi. I see your aquascape in between the entries. I would not like to cause any problem if you should get high grading or win the contest"
JUST YOU WORDS LITERALLY.
It is called a politically motivated judgement. Not grading someone high to avoid problems.

I will leave it to everyone to judge for them selves what is wrong and what is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back