• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal Finished.

Re: Fluval Studio 900. 'Coastal Erosion' Journal... ?

jackrythm said:
How much stone is that I'm there? Its seriyu right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Something like 40kg i think, and yeah its seiryu.....the big piece to the left is heavy!

Whitey89 said:
:eek: how much did all that cost Ady!
:shh: :woot: :wideyed:
They'll get used again someday, good for the collection :)

Tank stripped and emptied, my inline co2 diffuser plastic deteriorated and broke so that was the deciding factor in setting this up as hardscape only tank, at least for a while.

Cheerio
Ady

looked good mate, look forward to the next one!

Ready to go again.....

ypyre6y5.jpg

Won't journal this as its going plantless.

Cheerio
Ady

Whitey89 said:
Looks great mate. Not fancy covering all them branch bases in Taiwan moss or Weeping moss, and letting it grow up over?

:)
Yeah a little, but they need ferts and co2 :)
In fairness i was tempted to pop the tenellus back in right rear with a few bits of moss and anubias and use liquid carbon and see how they went in the sand substrate, but they would likely end up failing so will leave everything out.
Getting a black background fading into white at the top made up and have bought some black angelfish to go in :)
Cheerio
Ady

You mean a bit like this

negurymy.jpg

that my friend is crying out for at least a bit of java fern around the base, it really would be sacrilege without any plants.

Very nice.

Hey Ady mate,
Exactly like, although I have Taiwan growing in my non co2 or ferts CrS tank.

And it grows like wild fire, they have started forming little brown roots at the end of each branch. Really beautiful texture. Will send you a picture when I get in. Some narrow leaf java aswell as Ian suggests Would be amazing :)

Ady, that hardscape is FAR too good not to have plants to accompany it. Go with Mark's regime of lower light levels so you dont have to add as much ferts and CO2. I am sure you can find something that requires minimal maintenance :) Either way, you bloody well better had journal it, even as a continuation on here because we all, I am sure, want to see what its like filled and with fish even if you dont plant. Im betting you will though, cos we are all gonna hound you till you add some greenery. ;) :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
Fantastic hardscape Ady!
Thanks Mark :thumbup:

ianho said:
that my friend is crying out for at least a bit of java fern around the base, it really would be sacrilege without any plants.

Very nice.

Antipofish said:
Ady, that hardscape is FAR too good not to have plants to accompany it. Go with Mark's regime of lower light levels so you dont have to add as much ferts and CO2. I am sure you can find something that requires minimal maintenance :) Either way, you bloody well better had journal it, even as a continuation on here because we all, I am sure, want to see what its like filled and with fish even if you dont plant. Im betting you will though, cos we are all gonna hound you till you add some greenery. ;) :thumbup:

Okay...... although not the plan, i had all the plants still left from the strip down, they arnt the best condition so didnt want to sell them, but it did seem a shame to dump them in the bin so ive given them a chance :lol: Added some aqua soil to the right and rear and planted them up. The balance is wrong at the moment as it doesnt look right, they arnt the ideal choices for this set up but will see if they grow.....whats the worst that can happen....they fail and i take them out!!

No gas injection currently as my diffuser broke, so liquid carbon only for now. Going for a limited light and low fert regime as you suggested Chris so will see how things go. Dont know if its the dark sand, or the wood but the tank does seem less bright inside (to my PAR meter eyes anyway :shifty: ) so hopefully that will help the plants out with a lower carbon availability.

Seems my indecision is making its way into my aquatic hobby too, really need to make a plan and stick to it :rolleyes:
Sorry for all the chopping and changing!

Cheerio,
Ady.

Still needs a tank background....as did the last set up :rolleyes: , and a little more height in the centre which will hopefully be created if the pogostemon erectus behind the staurogyne grows. Tenellus needs trimming to thin it down at the right. Will see how it goes and what pops up on the for sale section and may swap a few plants out for more suitable ones.

Poor pic as the higher light unit creates a reflection in even in a dark room

feb20122670.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

I like it Ady :thumbup: the hard scape is fab, like you say it needs the background, I think that will change the looks of it really nicely as well and really make everything really stand out.
I'd also consider some bonsai Anubis too (only cos I have some and I love it) if you added some around the base of the wood around the front it would compliment the wood too - mind you this may not be to your taste or idea :lol:

Well done though :clap:

PS, are the angels new?

jackrythm said:
Great looking wood.. it looks like bone oak?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Jack, it's Manzanita wood.

danmullan said:
I think this would look amazing with Anubias and some Microsorum at the base of the wood. Would be perfect for low light and low maintenance.

The hardscape layout is excellent!

Thanks Dan, yeah I think long term ill be looking at adding some ferns :thumbup:

Gary Nelson said:
I like it Ady :thumbup: the hard scape is fab, like you say it needs the background, I think that will change the looks of it really nicely as well and really make everything really stand out.
I'd also consider some bonsai Anubis too (only cos I have some and I love it) if you added some around the base of the wood around the front it would compliment the wood too - mind you this may not be to your taste or idea :lol:

Well done though :clap:

PS, are the angels new?

Hi Gary,
anubias and ferns will be on the hit list for sure.
I've temporarily added a black background that I had and it does look better, although i think it will look better with the black fading into white at the top I'm getting made up as it'll make the lower plants stand out but hopefully help the black angels stand out nearer the top.....if they ever settle in and stop substrate hugging :lol: oh and yes they are new, liked the idea of angelfish in among the roots.
I've also added some cardinals, a few more ottos, a siamensis flying fox to prevent bba and a couple of sturisoma panamese juveniles as I also wanted some of these for the root scape and maidenhead got some in last week luckily for me :) needed to increase my cuc as shrimps will be a no go with the angels.

Also tonight I've added in pressurised co2 as I rembered I had an in tank diffuser so have set that up again too....gonna run it pretty low though, alongside lower lighting so no more tight rope walking, ill just add liquid carbon too.

Cheerio for now
Ady

Black background added, it's a gloss one but the one I'm getting made will be matt to reduce reflection.
Pressurised co2 back on now too and some new fish, good old cardinals add a splash of colour, got a nice gesture from maidenhead aquatics at stokesly as they gave me 22 cardinals for the price of the 15 I asked for.....result!

ubu5a4ev.jpg

Cheerio

Back