• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

4 T5 bulbs in the same space as 2 T8s?

Abspire

Seedling
I read that I could fit 4 T5 Bulbs in the same space as 2 T8 Bulbs.

I am talking about these bulbs here:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquar ... -55cm.html

It says something like that as the T5 Bulbs are smaller, they can fit in the same space as 2 T8 Bulbs? Is this true?

I don't want to swap the whole lot and I want to have some decent wattage, so would that be possible? How would I fix 4 bulbs in the same space as 2?

Thanks

To get a helpful response here I think you need to post your tank details and what you are aiming for? Is there any particular reason why you want to go T5?

Ok, ummm, My tank is a 200L fluval Roma. I plan to dose liquid ferts and co2. I am basically upgrading from the current lights which I hate! The bulbs need replacing anyway. Basically, I am wanting to achieve a nice planted display, with enough lighting.

I have picked these lights because I know they fit in my current unit, but if there are any better ones that I could get without having to buy the whole unit, I would be more than happy with that :)

Thanks

Well you cant just fit T5s into T8 sockets as they are completely different size - T5 being 5/8'' & T8 being 8/8ths or obviously 1''.
I have read that it is possible to use electronic T8 starter ballasts with similar sized T5s but personally I think you need to buy the whole unit & end caps as one.
Ref the lighting intensity you will only need 2 x T5 especially if the lights cant be raised up to a decent height above the water.
Also you dont need to pay £20 for a T5 bulb, you can get them from electrical outlets for £3-5

Ok, thank you!

Do you have a specific bulb from an outlet shop to suggest?

As for the whole unit, does that mean I will have to get one that clips onto the sides of the tank and then I have no lid?

Could I get some decent T8s for growing plants, or is that not the way to go?

Without wishing to sound rude have you successfully grown aquatic plants before? If the answer is no I would suggest sticking with your T8's. More light can give you more problems. Many people here have great tanks with T8 lights :thumbup:

If you get your Co2, ferts and flow right you will be fine with T8's. If your plants are struggling with T8's then its not the light fault but something wrong with either your Co2, ferts of flow.

I believe you can modify the Roma hood to take T5's, Ive seen a post somwhere but no sure if it is on this forum.

Ok! I have/am growing plants with T8s reasonably successfully, but haven't been dosing anything. Shall I just simply replace the bulbs that I have with some new ones of the same model and the liquid co2 and ferts that I intend to?

Back