• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing anubias from existing plant

tekopikin

Does anyone know if it's possible to propagate more anubias plants from this fine specimen here :D
I got hold of this several months ago, it had three small leaves about an inch and a half across. It seems to have done quite well . At the moment it's attached to a piece of drift wood.; it flowered for the first time in June (dunno if that's relevant). I'm open to suggestions...
anubias2.jpg

Hello Mate! Did you get my message about the filter tubing issue? Hope it was ok. I'm actually selling my lily pipes I had on them if your looking...

Anyway, your anubias. Are you asking if you can divide the rhizomes up to create new single plants? If so then yes, just break the rhizomes at the bulges with your hand and it will snap where it wants do. Avoid scissors where possible. :) I think I understood correctly? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's anubias bonsai baterri? Or how you spell it? When they flower they are beautiful :) I have just ordered a hang on filter so I can try this out too. ;)

jack-rythm said:
Hello Mate! Did you get my message about the filter tubing issue? Hope it was ok. I'm actually selling my lily pipes I had on them if your looking...

Anyway, your anubias. Are you asking if you can divide the rhizomes up to create new single plants? If so then yes, just break the rhizomes at the bulges with your hand and it will snap where it wants do. Avoid scissors where possible. :) I think I understood correctly? :)

Thanks mate, I did respond to the PM, thanks a lot for the tip on dividing up & propagating the anubias. Good thing you mentioned not to use scissors! :lol:

jack-rythm said:
I think it's anubias bonsai baterri? Or how you spell it? When they flower they are beautiful :) I have just ordered a hang on filter so I can try this out too. ;)

Funny I was going to ask if anyone could identify the plant as I wasn't sure what variety of anubias it was. It sure is pretty when it flowers. If you look closely you'll spot two getting ready to flower.

yes mate pretty convinced its anubias bonsai bateri (spelt correctly). If anyone can vouch for that it would be great too lol. I PM'd you back mate, I didnt realise you had PM'd me till after I wrote that first comment! :lol:

jack

wow a razor blade? I heard from so many sources to 'snap' the rhizomes to allow for easy new growth? a few people have told me this on here too. SORRY to tekopikin for the false information :( I have been doing this to all my anubias and they are fine and budding..

The plant is Anubias barteri var. barteri, yes - and by the look of short stems to quite broad leaves most likely a cultivar called "1705" (it's just a llaboratory nr :) ).
If you are not familiar to doing propagation of rhizome, you should probably use the "snap"-method, to avoid damaging the tiny node (growingpoint for new shoot) right by the basis of the leave. Razor-method is more likely to cut into such a node, and thereby destroy it. If the plant is healthy (and this one looks fine) it is unlikely to suffer more from a "snapped" wound, than from a more "clean" razor wound. Both types can get infected if you are unlucky. Anubias are very strong plants, though, so there's very little risk :)
Good luck - and remember it will take some time for a new shoot to occur. Anubias are slow growing.

Hi all,
I'm a "snapper" too. Just keep an eye on the wounds, and if they develop any brown or mushy ("necrotic") tissue clean it off. I usually just use my finger to clean off any obviously dead tissue and then a wash under the tap for any dead bits remaining. If you leave the main caudex intact long enough they will often branch of their own accord.

You also need to keep an eye on the leaf bases around the break, as they may rot, whilst the leaf is still intact and looks apparently OK.

cheers Darrel

Back