• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias sp. Alba

Ian Holdich

Anyone seen this anywhere?? i'm not sure how it would fit into a scape, but i would love to try some...

532357_4268569267190_1099331056_n.jpg

wow! where did you get that? that is cool! never seen that before. It would look brilliant in a cluster of anubias nana petite ;) would definitely make a pretty cool impact.

please say you got lots? ;)

Jack

stuworrall said:
never seen that one Ian. odd that an Anubias is planted into the ground as well as they dont usually like it?
As long you don't bury the rhizone and only the roots they will do fine ;)

Hi all,
For me disgusting doesn't come close, but even if you discount aesthetics, you couldn't grow it as an individual plant, it doesn't have any chlorophyll, so it can't manufacture its own food.

The only way you could keep it growing would be to graft the chlorophyll-less "alba" onto a normal green Anubias, and it would then get its nutrients from the photosynthesising portion of the plant.

Having said that I'm not sure whether you can graft mono-cots or not. The Japanese do this sort of grafting a lot with cacti. From <http://www.pughs-cacti.co.uk/Catalogue-Cacti.html>
Image6.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
so it wouldn't stay white Darryl?? is it just a cultivar??
It might turn green if it is just etiolated <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiolated>, but this looks like it really doesn't have any chlorophyll. So, it isn't really even a cultivar, it is what we call a "sport", a mutant shoot that grows out with-out the ability to produce chlorophyll. As such it can't live as an independent entity, but only as a "parasite" on the rest to the plant. You get this sort of thing a lot more with plants than you do with animals.

Plants are different from animals in that they often clones and chimeras, some-times quite complex in terms of their genetic make-up, we used to have a plant of +Laburnocytisus adamii, which is a very strange thing <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/+Laburnocytisus_'Adamii'>, and this is what I assume is how Anubias "alba" arose (in Ivy, Hedera helix).
Hederawhite.jpg
From <http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bo...tures/generalstructure/leafcolor/b0008tx.html>

cheers Darrel

thanks for that Darrel, looks as though it isn't going to be a popular plant then lol.

As "alba" is just the latin word for white. Couldn't this just be Anubias "white".
Maby some In vitro attempt or something similiar and those plants will produce a little chlorophyll in due time. :)
In that case this would be a cultivar.

Hi all,
As "alba" is just the latin word for white. Couldn't this just be Anubias "white".
It is, and it does have a small amount of chlorophyll.

If you have a look at this other Anubias "White" thread there are some more pictures and information. <Anubias White | UK Aquatic Plant Society>.
12270494225_a84b6c5a7f_b.jpg

The last picture is what a healthy White anubias looks like over time. The real white Anubias have very little Chl a, mostly from limiting the NO3. This is not that hard to grow emergently like this. Most of these coming in are all emergent grown, they will insist otherwise, but it's simply not true.

cheers Darrel

Attachments

• 12270494225_a84b6c5a7f_b.jpg
    12270494225_a84b6c5a7f_b.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 364
Anyone seen this anywhere?? i'm not sure how it would fit into a scape, but i would love to try some...

532357_4268569267190_1099331056_n.jpg

Yes, sorry looking plants, Vasteq's image is a healthy plant. No one is going to keep the white ones in the hobby submersed for long.
At least looking like that.

I get nice solid white new leaves etc, but after a few days, they get some green. They start off whiter and get greener under water, the white type I have is whiter than Vasteq's, but not much.
You get better white color with emergent growth, less plant stress for CO2, so you can limit the N more so and no algae issues.

Back