• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosers competition successes

cogo

Krzysiek S.
Hi,

When I discuss about EI method and UKAPS members on some Polish forum, I was told that EI dosing method is not as good as other methods because there is not many EI tanks which are high rated in any important aquatic competition.

Is it true? What do you think about this?

Regards,

I think it is easy to see how such rumours happen when it does appear most high profile scapes are indeed fertilised by ADA products!
I also think that because ADA sponsor the high ranking scrapers their ploy works! Because - I myself have fallen into the trap & bought ADA ferts!!
In fact apart from the cost, I really enjoyed using the ferts, it sort of made me feel more confident but in fact I did not really see any substantial difference...
Although I think the very fact I was using ADA ferts made me more dedicated to the tank & its maintenance & on that basis it did look good :?
No doubt that ADA ferts work very well - no doubt that cheap salts work too...

Ferts are ferts. They are all made up of the same stuff. Some have fancy labels, other do not. There is no magical ingredients on ADA, Tropicas, Elos, Seachems, and other ferts.

EI is a method. There are more. You could do EI with any brand. Although this may become quite expensive with some lean-based branded ferts.

cheers

GM

Like I always say, if you have the money with bother with the salts, it just simplifies things, also if your tank is 60l or less its not that expensive anyway. For larger tanks over 200l then it becomes very expensive and dry salts are recommended. I have never used ADA ferts, but I find using the Tropica ferts work very well too, if you keep on top of maintenance and dose accordingly, no matter which ferts you use you will have the right results.

Most people fail with the light to CO2 ratio and not the ferts.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. However, the question is not about using dry salts, but about EI method, ie. dosing estimative amounts of ferts with large surplus.

It would be really encouraging for many people to use EI dosing regime and dry salts - to take away from marketing Matrix - if there where great looking EI tanks which are highly rated in important competitions.

Many buy ADA stuff because they want to have similar planted tanks to best rated tanks in aquatic competitions. If someone could present similar aquascapes with plants grown in Estimative Index dosing regime, it would be releasing for many folks enslaved in Matrix (I like this Ceg metaphor :) ).

For me "Estimative Index and Dry Salt Movement" is like OpenSource and "Free Software" movement. In order to free people from many companies we need a great looking examples managed without these companies.

All in all, we need an EI hero! :geek:

Best,

Are you really serious? Have you tried to check tanks around? Most tanks on this website use EI. Are they not as good as those on competitions?

What wins competitions is the ability to make nice aquascapes. Not the brand of ferts that one uses. We can have vibrant planted tanks, lots of healthy plants, and be very bad at aquascaping...

GM

I would choose nothing but ei Fertz.. Why?.. Because I can buy a litres worth of lush mix off Ebay for about 6 quid.. And yes my plants are thriving. I agree it's all propaganda. They all have the same ingredients. That's why their Fertz. I have seen some excellent scapes that have been created by ei Fertz.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jack-rythm said:
I would choose nothing but ei Fertz.. Why?.. Because I can buy a litres worth of lush mix off Ebay for about 6 quid.. And yes my plants are thriving. I agree it's all propaganda. They all have the same ingredients. That's why their Fertz. I have seen some excellent scapes that have been created by ei Fertz.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
You would use nothing but nothing but EI fertz ... even if you were sponsored by ADA & they were supplying to you all the kit you needed including ferts?

:lol: :lol:

I didn't realise he was sponsored by ADA.. I think his first post was asking if there was a difference as he was told by another forum differently. Im talking about myself. I would choosing nothing but ei because im comfortably aware that just like a very high percentage of us on here wont become sponsored by ADA in the near future and have absolutely no contacts within the ADA industry. I dont think there is anyone that if sponsored by ADA would turn down free ADA products but that was besides my point lol the factual point I am trying to make is that in my current situation and the lack of contacts I have I would choose nothing but ei fertz because of the overall outcome and the financial benefits. You said yourself you believed that ADA products came with a more 'attention to detail' feeling but still justified the ei fertz as doing the same job ;) for those who are actually sponsored by ADA im very jealous and will be jealous of anyone with any ADA products as I cant afford any of that as im only a student! lol so on that basis, yes I would choose nothing but ei fertz :)

Hi all,
Just to say I've no interest in EI, ADA or Aquascaping contests, but we just need to use our common sense, ions are ions are ions, it really doesn't matter where they come from, every K+ ion etc. is the same as every other one. Chelation might be relevant for things like Fe+++ (although not when they are ions), but for the monovalent and divalent ions they really are just that, ions.

We had a good go at this in "For Dan ... Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer" - <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14594> and for a quicker read have a look through this post:
"Do ferts "go off"?" - <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20883&hilit=+supernova>.

cheers Darrel

cogo said:
Hi,

Thanks for your answers. However, the question is not about using dry salts, but about EI method, ie. dosing estimative amounts of ferts with large surplus.

It would be really encouraging for many people to use EI dosing regime and dry salts - to take away from marketing Matrix - if there where great looking EI tanks which are highly rated in important competitions.

Many buy ADA stuff because they want to have similar planted tanks to best rated tanks in aquatic competitions. If someone could present similar aquascapes with plants grown in Estimative Index dosing regime, it would be releasing for many folks enslaved in Matrix (I like this Ceg metaphor :) ).

For me "Estimative Index and Dry Salt Movement" is like OpenSource and "Free Software" movement. In order to free people from many companies we need a great looking examples managed without these companies.

All in all, we need an EI hero! :geek:

Best,

You can view the Dutch 120 Gal something or another. Plenty of examples of nice clean tight gardening. It's not a scape really, more a garden. I have plenty of examples however going back decades now.

The AGA winner was a newbie, 9 months in the Hobby, James back in 2000-2002 range, won best overall.
A dosing method does not define a scape or the artistry. The claim made on that forum is such a pathetically weak argument, you should look elsewhere for help.

It's like saying because Canon cameras take more winning photo's in a photo contest, you should buy them if you want to be a good photographer. It's Steer manure.

gmartins said:
Are you really serious? Have you tried to check tanks around? Most tanks on this website use EI. Are they not as good as those on competitions?

What wins competitions is the ability to make nice aquascapes. Not the brand of ferts that one uses. We can have vibrant planted tanks, lots of healthy plants, and be very bad at aquascaping...

GM

I've seen plenty of nice scapes, covered in algae many times.............and plenty of ADA tanks covered in algae, some of them by the ADA vendors:)

Dose the ferts you like. Controlling the light, co2 and flow is the only thing that makes the difference between a novice and an expert. :)

Back