• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotting Stems and Yellowing Leaves

Ziabis

I have a Rotala Indica, which is growing. But I get the odd rotting stem. See picture
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/ ... ngstem.jpg

Then of course I get the odd yellowing leaves on different plants..

Tips to help fix these issues, thank you...

See signature specs.

always on the side against the glass?

chances are poor flow so poor co2 + fert distribution if it is always the glass side.

The rotting is any where. I have 1 leaf rotting in the centre of the tank in good flow.

I use a 5ml liquid co2 4 times a week with fertilizer twice a week.

Ziabis said:
The rotting is any where. I have 1 leaf rotting in the centre of the tank in good flow.

Use more and use it 7 days. There is absolutely no point in using it for only 4 days. This is like a person only eating 4 days a week.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Ziabis said:

Use more and use it 7 days.
Cheers,

Ok more, but how much more each day? I use 5ml now?

calculate volume of your tank look on back of carbon product label for how much ml to put in per volume and dose accordingly.

same with your ferts put them in daily too and possibly in higher quantities. if you've got a heaviliy planted tank both the carbon and the fert quantity will need increasing from the basic recommended amounts.

Multiply the bottle recommended value by 3. Some plants don't do well when you raise the glutaraldehyde, concentration but the ones you have listed should all benefit. Also, as mention by hinch, increase the level of nutrients to account for more carbon uptake and ensure that you perform at least a 50% water change once per week.

Cheers,

Plants cannot be poisoned by nitrate. Lack of nitrate causes yellowing of leaves. Plants gather and use as much nitrate as you can provide. And the OP definitely should not test for nitrates because that is another jungle altogether. If you are having a similar issue with Cabomba then you should follow the same procedures as above, i.e. add more CO2 and improve flow and distribution, because rotting stems are caused by lack of CO2.

Cheers,

Hi all,
i meant nitrite
You won't have any nitrite (NO2-), you can basically ignore nitrite and ammonia in planted tanks if you have healthy plant growth.

I'm not an added CO2 user (and I've never grown Rotala indica), but I think it might be a light issue, if it isn't receiving ambient light from the other side of the glass? Low tech you often get this sort of self-thinning in dense canopies, and I'm pretty sure it is a shading effect (other people will tell you that these are always CO2 effects, but I have no experience of added CO2 tanks).

cheers Darrel

Back