• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flowering frogbit

BigTom

I'm sure I won't be the first person to have seen this, but its the first time I've seen it and thought it worth a snap.

Amazon frogbit flowering in one of my nanos -

p1080046edit.jpg

Just as with everything else in your nanos- fantastic.

Hi all,
Thanks Darrel, but you wouldn't be saying that if you could see a full tank shot - they're all a massively overgrown mess at the moment.
Tom it wasn't me it was Darren, but I definitely agree with
"Massively overgrown mess" is the look I like.

What is the grass behind the flower? Is it "Purple Bamboo"? (possibly correctly Isachne globosa)

cheers Darrel

BigTom said:
they're all a massively overgrown mess at the moment.
you have a knack. lets just face it shall we? you have a midas touch. with exquisite taste in fish. :D

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Thanks Darrel, but you wouldn't be saying that if you could see a full tank shot - they're all a massively overgrown mess at the moment.
Tom it wasn't me it was Darren, but I definitely agree with
"Massively overgrown mess" is the look I like.

What is the grass behind the flower? Is it "Purple Bamboo"? (possibly correctly Isachne globosa)

cheers Darrel

Oops, sorry about the Darrel/Darrening.

Yeah, that's the grass I bought a week or so ago as sold as 'Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo''. Seems to be doing OK... the submerged leaves have all died off its put on a couple of inches since planting. As long as the emersed growth does well I'll be happy.

And now a few more flowers have come through we can see that the plants are clearly monoecious, with separate female flowers low down to catch pollen, and male flowers on raised stalks to increase pollen dispersal. Nice.

frogbitfemale.jpg

frogbitmale.jpg

/awaits correction from Darrel :lol:

Hi all,
we can see that the plants are clearly monoecious, with separate female flowers low down to catch pollen, and male flowers on raised stalks to increase pollen dispersal.....awaits correction from Darrel
No, look about right to me.

I've never noticed any male flowers on my plants, but I only started with one or two plants. If mine are both all clonal, and female, Limnobium laevigatum may dioecious (male and female flowers on separate plants) rather than monoecious (separate male and female flowers on the same plant, and more usually with the both carpels and stamens in a single "perfect" flower, like a Rose or Lily).

I couldn't find the exact details for Limnobium laevigatum, best I could find was "in the Hydrocharitaceae most are dioecious, some are monoecious .... and a few have perfect flowers" <http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/2441295> and from <http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/get_IJM.pl?tid=30986>.

Flower: unisexual, emergent, pedicelled; petals green-white to yellow.
Staminate flower: filaments fused at least 1/2, anthers elongate.
Pistillate flower: ovary chambers 1, styles 3–9, 2-lobed ± to base.

cheers Darrel

These definitely have both sexes of flower on the same plant... is it possible to have individuals/clonal lines that only demonstrate one sex in an otherwise monoecious plant?

Trying to remember where I got mine from and think it might have been you, which would make the above question pretty stupid :lol:

Hi all,
These definitely have both sexes of flower on the same plant.... is it possible to have individuals/clonal lines that only demonstrate one sex in an otherwise monoecious plant?
Yes it is, you get this with Kiwi Fruit (Actinidia chinensis), the other possibilities are I've just never noticed the male flowers, or that male flowers are only produced under certain conditions.

cheers Darrel

Back