• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Teratec EX600 or EX700 for 110L tank ?

2pods

Now I'm down to one 110L tank with liquid C02, I've been using two Elite Stingray 15's mostly because they fit on the ends of the tank, and my plants aren't anything special (One 39w T5), it's mainly about fish: 4 albino corys, two female and one male dwarf gouramis, half a dozen glo lights, and a pair of rams.

However, I want to move the tank into the living room and want an external to give us a bit of room in the tank, and also to avoid the mess coming out of the the stingray filters when they're taken out.

So would I be better off with the EX600 (rated for 60 to 120L tanks), or the EX700 (100L to 250L), bearing in mind I don't want my poor fish in a washing machine biotope ;)

Also, I'm using Neutro T and Excel, so whichever filter I get, I had better remove the charcoal d' you think ?

Once all was was 400L and pressurised....but that was then :lol:

id say go for the 700, as all manufactures 'over-rate' their filters. im currently in the process of setting up x2 2000lph externals (rated for upto 1000l each) on a 285l aquarium, and i know the flow wont be too bad. not too sure about the carbon, i would of thought it would be ok but im sure someone will correct me on that!

Washing machine biotope is pushing it, even if you put a ex1200 or an e1500 on the tank (which would be my recommendation) I doubt you'd come anywhere near a washing machine. If it's nothing special and you've no plans to up grade to a higherlight tank then a ex700 is fine and is a great little filter. Look at the JBL e range, they've very similar to the ex range in cost but much cheaper to run.

No need to remove the charcoal, it doesn't really affect anything as much as people assumed.

Thanks everyone.
It's looking like the 700 then.

There is another unswitched 39w T5 in the light unit, but I can't go presssurised again, so I'm assuming it would just be algae city if I used both with liquid C02 ?

Potentially, liquid carbon works best with mid light/low light tanks, I wouldn't like to run tubes without "proper" co2.

May I ask why you can't got pressurised?

The whole FE thing really.
It was very hard to get refills locally, and now I no longer have the 400L I was using it on, or it's nice cabinet to put them in.

If you wouldn't run a T5 with Excel, what would you use ?
Bearing in mind, that it's on 8 hours a day.
I'm not arguing. I'm just curious

I did mean to say x2 t5's, one t5 would still be fine.

Ahhh, yeah It can be a pita to get FE's at times. I'm not too bothered about having a FE on display but I know it's a point of contention with some family members.

I buy my FE's from Ebay, used to get them from Dan Crawford before that, local suppliers are pretty good about filling Fe's in my experience, I got some refilled recently that I'd gotten from Ebay and they were more bothered about me riding my bike home with them strapped to my back than they were about refilling bottles they hadn't sold, I feel your pain though. Till I found someone able to refill I was buying whole cylinders all the time and it struck me as mighty wasteful.

I know what you mean. My hut was full of Dan's FEs :lol:

The nearest refill place was 40 miles away, and I don't drive.

Could you recommend some good low/med light stuff ?

The old favourite weed Cabomba is growing nicely, as is some Hygophilia, and some stuff that has very thin, long, leaves that I'll have to find the label for again. Funnily enough my java fern isn't growing much at all.

I don't drive either, mine was 22 miles, nice and easy on the way there, not so much riding back.

Having 2 fe's strapped to your back is absolutely fantastic for making cars give you enough room on the road though. The easiest city ride I've ever had, even taxi's get our your way.

Crypts, anubias and staurgyne will all do well, anything regarded as low light, hairgrass too and of course mosses. The real test would be planning the scape around the leaf shapes and textures available.

Not having any luck with Hairgrass at the mo'. It seems to have disappeared. Maybe the fish had it ?
I'll try the rest. Still can't find that label. It was a Tropica pot too!

Back