• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does riccia become self-anchoring?

LancsRick

I'm going to have a bash at a riccia carpet, and have read the article on here about it. I've got one question - the article shows considerable effort in meshing and restraining the original section which is placed in the tank, but no mention after that about restraining it once the riccia has spread out.

Question - Once a carpet has established, does it become self-anchoring, in that any new spreading growth will remain on the bottom of the tank and happily just spread out without all breaking free and heading for the surface?

Never! With riccia it's a classic case of what goes down will float up and away :lol:

^^agreed, it will do what it wants. You'll need to trim regularly to keep on top of it.

Understand that it needs trimming, it was more the fact that in his article, the areas it spreads to it seems to attach itself to?

I'm thinking of the "After 3 weeks" photo partway down the page.

http://www.ukaps.org/riccia.htm

I agree. I have Riccia carpets in all 4 of my tanks. I have had Riccia in one tank for around 4 months. If u keep it trim it will repay you. If u pay it less attention it will get out of hand and sometimes die at the base and release. I trim once a week back down to about half an inch. If u keep to this it should be doable :) good Luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If u did actually need some I would happily pay it forward and give you my trimmings? From 4 tanks I usually get quite a bit in a couple of weeks?

That would be tremendous, thank you! I'll happily pay it forwards!!

Pm me your address and I will get on it. I'm due a trim this week so will see how much I have.

Your welcome. I was paid forward a favour by Tim on here so now it's my turn :)

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I had riccia on slate in my big tank, and although it never self attached below water level, I had some that floated up and got caught against the huge tree trunk I had that came up out of the water and the riccia grew all over this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please! PM inc.

I'd also be interested in the emersed riccia pics if you've got them Alastair.

jack-rythm said:
wow that sounds cool.. I know its a long shot but you got a photo? And LancsRick did you still want my trimmings? if so PM me your address matey :)

Yeah I think I still have all the photos from that tank somewhere on one of my laptops will have a search tonight for them.
Myself and Westy were pretty amazed at how it took over the wood

Riccia is regularly used in dart frog vivs.
backgrounds8.jpg

Source: http://www.brianstropicals.com/pages/Ca ... frogs.html

Back