• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 100ltr aquascape

O'Neil

Okay got a 100 ltr tank that i plan to scape at some point, what would be a good filter for it?

Sorry if the question is a little vague, let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

You could grab a second hand external filter such as the Fluval 305 quite cheaply which would keep you tank spotless !!, how ever it isn't a massive amount of water so not sure if you would op for something a little smaller :/

Darren

The best rule of thumb is to aim for something that turns over at least 10x the tank volume an hour and not to be scared of it being more, especially as inline equipment and lily pipes and the like will reduce the flow further. Filters after all only produce about 40% of what they claim to in use.

Something like a ex1200, jbl e1500 or similar would be my personal choice, good robust filters that come with everything and are nice and easy to get hold of for a sensible amount of money from zooplus.de

I'll second the 305, as for 10x the amount, correct me if I'm wrong but the 305 chucks out 1400lph so more than enough for a 3ft tank. Assume it's 3ft due to the 100L capacity lol. I used to have one on a 103L tank for a year with a turtles frogs etc did an amazing Job. I know dan Crawford stands by Fluval filters too so it's a cheap and great shout. Check out ebay.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah mate your right it's about 3ft in width, I'll check out all 3 and see what I can stretch my budget too ><

Maybe that's something to do with Dan cropping up promoting fluval? ;)

I think it's the 405 that turns over the big guns, not the 305 but either way. Anything like that, I like the tetra and JBL filters myself, sensibly priced good value and good quality, ultimately it's all down to personal choice.

If the budget's tight don't forget to check out zooplus.de, they're cheaper than the english shop (zooplus.co.uk is the same company, different URL) front and you get discounts on the first order.

Found a Fluval 306, but on the same site I saw the G6, thats one nice filter but a little over the top for what I need.......unless.....

PFK give one away to new subscribers, here's looking at you George :lol:

I'm holding out on subscribing for a super awesome gift, currently it's a test kit which does look good but I don't want another test kit.
What sort of deals do they do when you are a subscriber?

Just ordered an All pond solutions 1400 L/H, done my homework on it too and have seen a ton of good feedback.

The only catches seem to be:
1. They tend to be a little fragile (As Them' will tell you).
2. The flow rate is nothing like the box rating.

To add to point number 2, I don't expect any filter to reach the quoted flow rate, it's something I have come to expect.
If I need to increase or decrease flow, I could make modifications to my spray bar.
Taking into account water displacement my tank volume will be much less, if I only get about 700 or 800 lph I should still be ok, providing I have nothing to impede the circulation.

Now I'm wondering how i can make this shrimp safe, anyone got any ideas?

Hello,
I think you have misunderstood the 10X rule. The rule already takes into account the fact that filters do not deliver their rated output, so the 10X rule is employed using the filter rating. A 100L tank requires a filter that is RATED at 1000LPH. If your filter is rated at 1400LPH then you have satisfied the 10X rule, so you need to tick this box as being accomplished, forget about it, and move on to the next hurdle.

Cheers,

Back