• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Breeding Amano / Yamato shrimp

Who would have thought it.. a 45 year old company director stuck with nose pushed up against the tank looking for a sign...lol
Wwwhhooa there I'm only 42 give me a break! Intrigued as to where you got the rest of your information from :?:

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Who would have thought it.. a 45 year old company director stuck with nose pushed up against the tank looking for a sign...lol
Wwwhhooa there I'm only 42 give me a break! Intrigued as to where you got the rest of your information from :?:

My missus thinks I’m bonkers.... She keeps reminding me I have a life outside of fish.. It’s all her fault I tell her as she got me to buy her first tank when I wasn’t even interested.. Oh how things change.. I got 7 kids also so I can see what she means....... I wasn’t moaning at you AWB... I was just hoping to see another darting shrimp but had to go to bed in the end.. I can’t believe I was stuck to the glass waiting for another glimpse of shrimp... I keep telling myself during the last 40 days of waiting for Amano... Rome wasn’t built in a day...ha ha

I wasn’t moaning at you AWB
I think we have crossed wires here mate, are you a 45 year old company director?

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I wasn’t moaning at you AWB
I think we have crossed wires here mate, are you a 45 year old company director?

Yeah... cos you thought I was on about you... that’s why I wrote the last message so you would know I was actually on about me... I’m sure you don’t look a day older than 40 lol.... It just goes to show how like minded people are.. We should have a thread where we can post about our real lives and look for similarities... It’s nice to see someone like me interested in the same things..

Anyway.. would love to post more pics and will sort some this weekend

Ahh now that makes more sense now, that was freaky I thought hello don't remember mentioning my job ever in here this guys really done his research. Thought I had myself a stalker :) I look forward to seeing the pics and slagging off the HMRC at some point ;)

Day 35

This guy in the first picture is the funniest looking shrimp i ever did see ha ha .. Looks like he’s just been caught nicking the algae from the others lol.... all the others are different shrimp including one that it totally transparent..

You can also see where I wiped the glass... the difference is just amazing.. no wonder I thought things were quiet.

48816760.jpg

83021391.jpg

49296387.jpg

87508223.jpg

18339282.jpg

33089297.jpg

56335198.jpg

97888002.jpg

61117477.jpg

Whitey89 said:
Have you seem the PFK magazine, where it shows a picture of what appears to be amano Zoes, and it refers to them as ZooPlankton.

do you have a link? I have been on PFK and can't find it?

Day 39

Nearly half the zoe’s have morphed into mini shrimp.. the other half still swim up and down....

The pre morph stage still are attracted to my LED torch light so I can see a gradual reduction in the number of zoe’s each day but still have about 50 to transform. (the post morph shrimp are not attracted to the light so it seems to be a simple numbers game... so I think I will know when to start adding fresh water?)

Things still look a little quiet when I look through the glass but when the lid is lifted up its easier to see from above the post morph shrimps dart about.

I’m thinking about the process of acclimatizing them into fresh water and was going to do a drip process into the whole 19lt tank... I recon I will need to wait until all zoe’s have morphed... does anybody have an opinion about this as comments / ideas would be welcome?

My project C tank is still waiting for new larvae and I have three berried females... things seem to be taking longer than I recall and I have not seen any new larvae for the last 39 days. I was sure the females were ready to release.. , maybe my water is too cold (23c), anybody have any ideas about this?

Day 43..

Been reading blog by Mike Noren 2004... His theory supports a process into fresh water as soon as the first zoes morph, he writes he had suffered losses at this stage by keeping salinity at marine levels

As nearly all of my zoes have transformed I have decided to risk the few zoes left to benefit the others who are expecting to find fresh water and to this end I have swapped 1lt of marine with established fresh water (from my planted and stocked 400lt)...

As I have read elsewhere the mini shrimp do start to get very active and dart around in all directions.... this only lasted 5 to 10 minutes then things went back to normal.

I know I only changed a small amount (5%) but I plan to change 1 lt per day for the first week then if things look okay will change 2lts per day or perhaps more.....

I will record salinity daily to see how things react. Now it’s 33ppt

Sounds like a plan, sometimes you have to sacrifice the minority to save the majority. Harsh but true. Hopefully some of the minority will survive as well. When I used to breed Siamese fighters you had to pick a point when the fry were looking after themselves to seperate the parent male who would usually panic and try eating the fry. Had to be done, if left to when he was ready for breeding he would eat them all anyway. I used to get him out and save the majority.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
Sounds like a plan, sometimes you have to sacrifice the minority to save the majority. Harsh but true. Hopefully some of the minority will survive as well.

Day 66

As I was adding fresh water I realised some were not ready so had a moment getting the smaller shrimp back into another marine tank... which is where they still are!.....

The rest I continued to convert to fresh and have counted a total of24 juvenile amano as i moved them across into my cherry shrimp tank.

Pictures to be unloaded tonight.

Back