• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The forgotten nano... taiwan bee's vanished.

Re: The forgotten nano... taiwan bee's in.

One more
IMG_3385.jpg

Got a bit of bba in the tank as increased the lighting period to speed up the riccia.... bad idea lol

Lovely shrimp Iain....were all guilty of being a little light greedy at times :shh:

Re: The forgotten nano

easerthegeezer said:
KrisHumphreys1991 said:
This looks great Iain. Wouldn't have guessed it was low tech mate!

very well done :D

Cheers kris, ill take that 8)

Piece-of-fish said:
Nice bit of nature. Really amazed by riccia carpet without co2.
Amano would be jelous :wideyed:

Does riccia tend to be more difficult without co2 then ed?? first time ive tried it :crazy: must be the ADA stones!
Im going to split it up maybe next week to spread over more stones, see what happens after that...

Just wanted to say that I have never used co2 to grow ricin ever? I even grow it in a wallstad bowl on my window sill.. It pearls and everything. I think realistically ricin is a very very hardy plant and will grow in any condition.. Looks class though. Can see why it's called the forgotten nano! Lol

Hey there, hope your arent doing anything with ricin!!No doubt some government super computer will be tracking this thread now :lol:
The only things i have noticed is that it needs reasonable light, any shaded parts do nothing.
I have just moved a few stones into the high tech just to see how it goes, i am dosing a good amount of liquid carbo too (BBA after the flood etc...) into the high tech which riccia doesnt like apparently but time will tell...

I have finally sorted out another TDS meter that works... tap is 280 and this tank is 180. A little high for the bees so will try and bring that down to 140ish over the coming weeks. Quite happy to see my RO is 12 though, thought it might be higher as have never changed a filter :shh:

Quite keen to redo this tank with just dwarf riccia and hardscape. The bees love foraging around in it.

Update, the carpet will need one more spread onto some more rocks and should be done. I swopped out the wood for some nano manzi (just thrown in for now) as i felt the last stuff was rotting, added in some more narrow java, upgraded the filter to an eheim liberty and popped in an airstone for the bees, all is well. TDS is a little high at 180 but slowly bring that down, temp still kept at 22. Seems i have just one female bee which means i need to get the other 10 soon if i want to see any babies.
IMG_3435.jpg

Re: The forgotten nano... taiwan bee's vanished

strange happenings in this tank.. came home from aquatics live and 4 bees have vanished, didnt worry too much as thought maybe they may have just molted but a week later and still no sign. I had a rummage around moving some plants, checking in the filter etc but no, so i guess i have lost them..??

Ive been trying to think what may have caused this..
1- climbed out - unlikely as on the kitchen counter and no husks to be seen... and 4 at once isnt likely.
2 - massive snail outbreak - was managing this daily by removing them, maybe this caused starvation? also think unlikely.
3 - shrimp guard added- is it possible this contained copper? also think its unlikely...
4 - stupidity - MOST LIKELY, by managing the snail outbreak i was dipping a finger into the tank a lot to wipe the babies off the glass and probably wasnt as careful as i should have been about washing my hands before and could have contaminated the water and all the snails have eaten the bodies while at AL.
5 - someone broke in while i was at aquatics live and took them :)

As stupidity is the likely cause i have learnt an expensive lesson, always use long tweezers/scissors and long shrimp net to do anything in a bee tank or be sure to wash your hands really well before. Interestingly whatever caused it hasnt effected the snow white bee - he's nails!!

So figure that this is as good a time as any to rescape this tank then get some more bee's once settled... watch this space.

Shrimps can be elusive and hide well, but if you said you have rummaged through things then I guess they might have died and been disposed of by other shrimps.

Can happen very quickly as I know shrimps can eat a dead shrimp overnight with the aid of snails.

Hope you do find the rest.

R

Interesting really. How have you cleaned those snails you say? Killing them in the tank or takin them out?
If first I would say polluted water but if second then no idea.

Heh, bad news for shrimp keepers arent good news for us :rolleyes:
Since the tank is relatively small it still might be that those baby snail meat got the water quality down. Only reason I could think off. Especially if you were doing that for some period of time. Dirty hands is a possibility but quite unlikely, depends where you put your hands though before 8)

Piece-of-fish said:
Heh, bad news for shrimp keepers arent good news for us :rolleyes:
Just joking mate, going to rescape this tank when time allows and then ill come down to see you guys and pick some sweets from the candy store :thumbup:

:lol: you dont want to know where my hands have been.

jack-rythm said:
Are u saying snails kill baby shrimp? Or do they just eat dead baby shrimp?
Hey jack, saying that if you squash snails in the tank then the bodies could degrading the water quality.

Think it will remain a mystery this time round...

Back