• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Setting up nano tank

ale36

Hello,

After being introduce to this forum by another member at Aquatics Live 2012, I have decide to have a go at a Nano planted tank, bearing in mind that i have never set up a planted tank before I i'm not sure whether a Nono tank is a good start or not but i like a challenge.

I Have an empty Clearseal tank with internal measurement of L345 x W195 x H200 i have calculated this to be about 13L, i have purchased a 2kg of Fluval Shrimp Stratum Substrate to use with this thank along with a piece of bog wood and a lava rock, the decition im trying to make is whether to go with a DIY lighting using 3 x 1w white LEDs' (which i have available) but would i need other colours such as red,green and blue to make it pleasant to the eye the White LED have a colour temp from 6000k to 7000k or if some one could recomned me a diferent lighting to use with this, i have also looked into the arcadia pods but im not sure if these are suitable enough for a nano planted tank.

I also have a Power Bio 200 filter that i'm planning on using with this tank. Would this be ok if i was to keep only Cherry Shrimps?

i have not yet worked out if I want it to be High tech or not. what would be the best way to go about this sort of set-up?
Finally what plants would be suitable for this set-up?

Thank in advance and sorry if it is a lot to ask, i have spent some time looking around the net for information but its all still quite new to me

On a tank that size I wouldn't go high tech until you've got some understanding and practice - as a rule of thumb, the smaller the tank the harder they are to keep stable, so keep it low tech until you're confident.

The colour of a light is irrelevant to the plants, and in terms of what is pleasing to the eye, that's your preference. Some people like quite harsh lighting, others prefer softer. Just try and see.

That filter is fine, although if it performs as stated on paper you might find it a bit too powerful. If that's the case, just pack it more tightly with filter media to slow down the flow a bit. You will also benefit from using either fine sponges, or a fine mesh over the intakes so you don't suck in any baby shrimps.

That's quite a shallow tank so you could either go for short plants (mosses, stauro repens, anubia var nana, eleocharis acicularis sp. mini etc), or some larger plants and grow them partially emersed. Your call!

Hope that helps!

Thank you didn't expect such a quick reply.
I'll be putting an old pair of my sisters tights over the grill of the filter :).
I do like the idea of partially emerged plants I think it would look really good. Are there any that flower? Also would I need the light higher for this?

Any idea on lighting for this thank?
also will does a low tech set-up need dosing with EI? if so is this safe for shrimps?

I want to get this started but I have no idea on what sort of lighting to go for. Any inputs?

A PL light (e.g. Arcpod) will be plenty. I've got a 13w over my 30l nano. If you're adding co2 it actually lowers the light compensation point of plants, meaning you can use even less light. If you want to try LEDs check out the setup in this journal http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22645

OllieNZ said:
A PL light (e.g. Arcpod) will be plenty. I've got a 13w over my 30l nano. If you're adding co2 it actually lowers the light compensation point of plants, meaning you can use even less light. If you want to try LEDs check out the setup in this journal http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22645

Thank you so a Arcpod be suficient for this size thank, is the 11w one ok or would it be overkill?
sould i go with 9w or 11w for low tech EI dosing?

No idea sorry. I've just double checked and mine is only 11w but I'm only growing crypts, java fern and hydro japan. Id be tempted to go for the 11w as you can always raise it up or add some liquid carbon to compensate.

In a nano you can use very low light and grow what you want as long as the flow and distribution is good. Nano tanks ime don't need loads of light or you just end up in algae heaven.

Here's my new journal with some low light LEDs

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24566

Ps an arc pod would be fine, the colour of the bulbs always puts me off though, they're way to pink for my eyes an brain!

Ian Holdich said:
In a nano you can use very low light and grow what you want as long as the flow and distribution is good. Nano tanks ime don't need loads of light or you just end up in algae heaven.

Here's my new journal with some low light LEDs

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24566

Ps an arc pod would be fine, the colour of the bulbs always puts me off though, they're way to pink for my eyes an brain!

Would the light you used be suitable for my tank? the reason i'm asking is because the light seems to flood your tank evenly because its a cube and the light is also square, mine is more of a rectangle tank

Back