• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Long Term Moss

Which of the mosses are best for anchoring themselves to hardscape over the long term? I read that some mosses will look good tied down but will eventually break away. Looking for something to grow on wood or will all mosses eventually anchor themselves?

Not all mosses will attach to hardscape. Many do, but for instance weeping moss does not. My favourite long term moss is fissidens, as it grows slow (less pruning), is basically unkillable, and looks good.

frothhelmet said:
Not all mosses will attach to hardscape. Many do, but for instance weeping moss does not. My favourite long term moss is fissidens, as it grows slow (less pruning), is basically unkillable, and looks good.

And it happens to be one of the prettiest too :thumbup:

What would you say is the fasted and most resilient type ? I need something for my Pelvicachromis breeding tank :)

From what I gather java moss is the most resilient and handles higher temps (30C) the best, it also grows 'quickly'...though no moss really grows fast without CO2. Other good mosses that I have tried which attach include peacock, wiror, and Drepanocladus adunculus- http://www.lfkc.co.uk/index.php?topic=2278.0 -the only really bad mosses are non-aquatics.

It all depends on what look your after. They all have their own characteristics.

Think about how you want your layout to look, then decide on what moss would suit the layout. Some mosses work better for foregrounds than others.

For example, weeping is great for stuff that will reside on the floor.

Mark Evans said:
It all depends on what look your after. They all have their own characteristics.

Think about how you want your layout to look, then decide on what moss would suit the layout. Some mosses work better for foregrounds than others.

For example, weeping is great for stuff that will reside on the floor.

I love my weeping moss but i've also found it does tend to brown out a bit when it's too dense and will detach over time.

I've just been trimming Java moss (by the fist full) from an over grown tank where it was a foot deep and still green. So for sheer long term neglected growth i'd probably say that.

Thanks for all the input guys. I do have a little bit of Java that struggles away in there and never takes off. Not sure if that's down to my use of liquid carbon.

I've just been trimming Java moss (by the fist full) from an over grown tank where it was a foot deep and still green. So for sheer long term neglected growth i'd probably say that.

Next time you have a fist full give me a shout I'll get rid of it for you :rolleyes:

I had a search for fissidens to see what it looked like but there were about 20 different species. Is it Fissidens> in particular?

Agreed. I have had many mosses and java was my first. This seems to still be thriving, I can't kill it! Unfortunately I don't like it and want to replace it but can't get to it so I'm waiting for it to die off, only it's lasted 5-6 months and is thriving so looks like I'll have to get to like it! :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back