• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where plants go to die

SmallestFrog

:wideyed:

2012-11-23-1747.jpg

2012-11-23-1749.jpg

As spotted in a local pet store. Yes, that one. Not surprised honestly, but slightly miffed as postage costs from Aqua Essentials are quite high really, and this Tropica supplied shop is only 2 minutes away.

Thing is... this is not the worst I've seen in my area & surrounding LFS's.

My question to you all is, can any of those be salvaged? I'd guess not?

SmallestFrog said:
Thing is... this is not the worst I've seen in my area & surrounding LFS's.

My question to you all is, can any of those be salvaged? I'd guess not?

Ah so you've been to my local branch of Pets "R" Us too, or whatever that well known national chain of pet shops is called :rolleyes:

I persuaded the management to give me a few such pitiful specimens largely out of the very same curiosity that you now mention (I certainly wasn't going to pay for them). I washed the worst of the algae and scum off and placed them in a loving and caring low-energy home.

They made an astonishing recovery after just a few days - and within a week or two they had grown several new healthy leaves. One turned out to be Echinodorus 'Reni' - it was in such bad shape it was unidentifiable in the shop.

"Give nature half a chance and it will surprise you with its ability to regenerate" :)

It is a shame to see things like this. Some of the plants can be saved for sure. Be careful which algae's you might be bringing into a new tank though.

The pets @ home stores should be changing their act pretty soon. There are plenty of things in the pipeline with regards to their plant keeping. ;)

ALso, you can always ask them to order any specific tropica plants in for you. Ask them to print off their list. Then have them order in specially and collect the day of delivery before they make it into the coffins. :)

@antipofish do they do that!!! That would be good as they do 3 for a tenner don't they?

nayr88 said:
@antipofish do they do that!!! That would be good as they do 3 for a tenner don't they?

I'm not sure they do. P@H get special order boxes i think. It's a bit more random than specific orders. You can ask at least.

I got near me a pets at home shop.. Just on the day of delivery and you get amazing bargains.. :) 3 for £10 is a good deal.

They usually get mixed boxes.

Mark Evans said:
nayr88 said:

I'm not sure they do. P@H get special order boxes i think. It's a bit more random than specific orders. You can ask at least.

I know for a fact that they do in my P@H as I have done it on several occasions.

nayr88 said:

Yes mate I have done it on several occasions. They will substitute stuff on their order for suff you want, or if you order 5 items (they have to order a minimum of 5 pots of whatever) they will do it as a special order. Its 3 for £11 not £10, but still exceptional value. And makes you realise how much Tropica stuff SHOULD be priced at.

My lfs will order tropica pots in, but like already said they need a min order of 5 for most plants.
I often wonder why pet shops don't invest in a hydroponics set ups instead of the water weir systems we see all the time. Surely you could do it for a similar initial outlay then they could keep the plants tip top and algae free and no doubt get a much better return on their investment whilst at the same time not putting customers off with presentations like the op's images! :)

Ady34 said:
often wonder why pet shops don't invest in a hydroponics set ups instead of the water weir systems we see all the time

A good idea, but unfortunately, it doesn't always work so well. When plants have been transported, these simple changes in temps etc. often put the plants into shock. I've had plants in a hydroponics system and still lost plenty.

Oddly enough, it's crypts that fair better when moved around like this.

I haven't bought anything from that particular P@H but I did get some crypts from the Dunstable P@H. The condition of everything was marginally better, how-ever got lucky as they'd just had a delivery, so most was in good condition. The hemel store is the blackhole of calcutta though.

They aren't the worst though, as stated in my original post. Around here, you are lucky to get an LFS selling any aquatic plants, let alone well kept algae free plants.

Glad to hear things in the pipeline to sort out their plant keeping. Any chance of elaborating, Mark?

Mark Evans said:
Ady34 said:
often wonder why pet shops don't invest in a hydroponics set ups instead of the water weir systems we see all the time

A good idea, but unfortunately, it doesn't always work so well. When plants have been transported, these simple changes in temps etc. often put the plants into shock. I've had plants in a hydroponics system and still lost plenty.

Oddly enough, it's crypts that fair better when moved around like this.
Surely though they still suffer the fluctuations in temp underwater too during transportation, then they have no access to co2 in most dealers holding tanks :( that must give us even less of a chance....but I suppose if we do buy the few 'survivors' from the tanks at least we know they are over the worst?

Seemed like a good idea, but either way there will be those sellers who can do it well and others not so, hell I do all I can to grow the damn things in my tank and struggle!

SmallestFrog said:
Glad to hear things in the pipeline to sort out their plant keeping. Any chance of elaborating, Mark?

I'm not sure of all the details, but things will happen for the better.

Tropica are passionate beyond belief, and to have a power house like them behind educating stores, this has to be a great combination.

Ady34 said:
Surely though they still suffer the fluctuations in temp underwater too during transportation, then they have no access to co2 in most dealers holding tanks

Yes mate, true. But from my experience, different plants require different humidity's etc.

So in an ideal situation, you'd have several different hydroponics units with different ambient temps, humidity and the likes.

If you think about it, aquatic plants really are a consumer product like no other.

I remember east bridgeford pumping loads of c02 into their holding tanks, and not being able to keep up with the stem growth. Loads of stems were thrown out as they were taking over.

It's a difficult one or sure...

Mark Evans said:
Yes mate, true. But from my experience, different plants require different humidity's etc.

So in an ideal situation, you'd have several different hydroponics units with different ambient temps, humidity and the likes.

If you think about it, aquatic plants really are a consumer product like no other.

Indeed, and good point about the differing requirements, doubt they would go to the trouble and investment of doing that! Although its good to hear that p@h are willing to improve things with the help of tropica. Seems like at the moment tropica are leading the push for improvements in the hobby which is only a good thing :thumbup:

Ian Holdich said:
I remember east bridgeford pumping loads of c02 into their holding tanks, and not being able to keep up with the stem growth. Loads of stems were thrown out as they were taking over.

It's a difficult one or sure...
I need to take tips from them :lol:

Back