• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question for JBL reg + UP Atomizer users

danmullan

Hi all,

Set up my new Natural Aquario set up yesterday (Journal begins soon), all is done apart from the CO2.

My question is really two:

1. I have the reg that has a screw to adjust the working pressure on a 500g cylinder. The needle showing working pressure has been sat at just under 2 bar, but didn't seem to come through the atomiser. What should I set the working pressure to, what works best? And will the rate the gas is pushed through decrease as a result of setting it higher?

and 2. How long do you find it takes for the pressure to build up enough for the gas to start diffusing into the water first thing in the morning?

Cheers
Dan

danmullan said:
Hi all,

Set up my new Natural Aquario set up yesterday (Journal begins soon), all is done apart from the CO2.

My question is really two:

1. I have the reg that has a screw to adjust the working pressure on a 500g cylinder. The needle showing working pressure has been sat at just under 2 bar, but didn't seem to come through the atomiser. What should I set the working pressure to, what works best? And will the rate the gas is pushed through decrease as a result of setting it higher?

and 2. How long do you find it takes for the pressure to build up enough for the gas to start diffusing into the water first thing in the morning?

Cheers Dan

I've found that with my Up reg and atomizer the working pressure needs to be around 2.25 bar to maintain consistently even flow. All the connections have the Safety-NutsR system so that the CO2 tubes remain tightly locked in, despite the pressure.

Not sure I understand the second part of question 1, but if you turn up the working pressure valve the rate at which the gas is pushed through will be greater, but then flow in to the tank is usually controlled by a separate needle valve. A bubble counter is used between the reg and atomizer as a guide to injection rate.

The CO2 usually starts to enter the tank after a min or so. Many switch the gas on 2 hrs or so before lights on allowing optimum CO2 saturation from the start of the photoperiod.

An additional problem I encountered was that the atomizer was full of gunk from the manufacturing process so it wasn't atomizing properly, but half an hour in a solution of 1:1 water and lime scale removing bleach sorted the problem. It's a good idea to repeat this process weekly to remove organic and calcium carbonate deposits, that way youn keep the atomizer working efficiently.

Hi Dan
I run mine at 2bar...but i don't use a bubble counter.
I use a timer....this is method i use.
You get to know how long your solenoid should be switch on for...i only need 30 mins of Co2 before i achieve enough Co2 injection.
The second question answer...how long is a piece of string.
Depends on your set-up....mines comes through in about 30 seconds....just timed it.
Initially when you first run the atomiser you need to expel the water out the chamber...this can take about 30/45 minutes...in my experience.
I use a non return valve just before the atomiser this keeps most of the water out of the chamber when the solenoid switches off.... also this helps to achieve a quicker reaction period...as the Co2 doesn't waste time pushing water out the chamber every time your fire up and engage the Co2.
Cheers
hoggie

Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried to adjust the working pressure but can't get the needle up to 2 bar. It sits around 1.7-1.8. The canister is newly filled as well so it's not that it's running out of gas.

I can see a slight mist of bubbles in the water but it isn't as much as I think it should be. I've attached a bubble counter to see how much gas is going through and when the needle valve is fully open, I'm only getting about 1 bubble every 10+ seconds.

Is there anything I can do to improve this or is the JBL canister/reg combo not good enough for the pressure the UP needs?

Cheers
Dan

I turned my jbl regulator pressure up via the Allen key fitting on the front behind a' little rubber bung I Downloaded a user manual by Googling jbl reg user manual
I've also ordered an atomiser hopefully arriving tomorrow I'll let you know if I have to turn the pressure up
Ant

If its the old reg, you can't adjust the working pressure...if its the new style jbl reg, you can, by removing the little plastic cover on the front of the reg and using an allan key turn the pressure up, while the co2 is on. Do it very slowly though!

Ps if your struggling, ill pop some pics up.

anttthony said:
I turned my jbl regulator pressure up via the Allen key fitting on the front behind a' little rubber bung I Downloaded a user manual by Googling jbl reg user manual
I've also ordered an atomiser hopefully arriving tomorrow I'll let you know if I have to turn the pressure up
Ant
Yes that is the correct method too adjust the working pressure on a JBL model that allows this option.
hoggie

image-2.jpg

It's the little black cap right in the middle of the silver part of the reg.

The old style jbl reg doesn't have this function though, this is the one with the green dials.

HAHA I'm such a Kev.

I thought all the stuff I'd read online was referring to the plastic lug ON TOP of the reg.

I've found it now. Can't believe that :oops:

Ian Holdich said:
Do it very slowly though!

How slowly are we talking Ian? Also how far should I open the needle valve before I start adjusting the pressure?

Hi Dan
Remember to switch on the solenoid valve.
Open the needle valve a little....you will know which way to turn the key when the needle moves i think its clockwise.
hoggie

As Hogan says, you will see the needle increase as you're turning the Allan key. You must have it switched on though!

Yep, it's working.

Thanks for all the help guys.

The only thing now is how should I set it, does it make a difference? Hogan has it at 2 but Ian has his at 3. I'm not really sure what to set it to. Is there any way to judge or does it not matter as long as there's gas going through?

Cheers

I personally wouldn't go higher than 3 Bar, but if there's gas going through, I'd leave it set at where it is, as long it's not above 3 Bar.

I've put it on 2.8 for now, I've still had to open the needle valve quite a lot to get a steady 1-2 bubbles a second. I'll see how things are tomorrow, this is something I'll monitor closely and make adjustments if need be.

Thanks for all the help :thumbup:

Cheers
Dan

Back