• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6+ dead shrimp at once....

no problem buddy, its a mystery.. I have done so much prep to make this work too. a lot of money was invested. Im looking at this as a positive. I get this sorted and I can venture onto nicer shrimp :).. but for the mean time im :( !

jack-rythm said:
no problem buddy, its a mystery.. I have done so much prep to make this work too. a lot of money was invested. Im looking at this as a positive. I get this sorted and I can venture onto nicer shrimp :).. but for the mean time im :( !

That's the spirit matey! Disappointing, but you just gotta put it behind you and get back on :)

I lost a colony of snowball shrimp years ago from pesticide on plants. I was gutted, but the enthusiasm was quickly rekindled.

Another loss story I always remind myself of when things ain't going well is a forum member who lost a colony of about 200 PRL crs when his young daughter poured a bottle of perfume into the tank! Still makes me chuckle that one, but must have been devastating for him at the time!!

jack-rythm said:
The tank has been cycling for 6+ week with no fish or shrimp in.

Did you use an ammonia source to get the cycle underway?

Without a test kit how did you know when the cycle had completed? I think it could well be that the tank hadn't cycled.

AlanTh said:
jack-rythm said:

Without a test kit how did you know when the cycle had completed? I think it could well be that the tank hadn't cycled.

Cue Ceg on test kits are useless lesson.......!! :)

basil said:
AlanTh said:
jack-rythm said:

Cue Ceg on test kits are useless lesson.......!! :)

They maybe useless, but on a complete new setup that was cycled without livestock I would of definitely done an ammonia and nitrite test to give some sort of indication.... On a cycled tank, the best test is to look at life stock and behaviours, they will tell you all you need to know.

I had a few fish, 3 Danios in each. I knew it had cycles because 6 weeks is a positive time, I had a full planted tank from the word go. I feel rest kits are useless. I can determine my tank set up roughly using the plants and fauna. But I see where your coming from. In my opinion it had nothing to do with ammonia it nitrite. I feel Tim maybe onto something here.. I dose excel quite heavily and another friend said this too me today too.. So maybe this is an answer of many. As of now the tank has been running for about 7 weeks probably. So after assessing things I think it's either overdosing excel or sudden drop in temps at night possibly..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey jack,
In regards to carbon, your best bet with shrimp I've found is without doubt co2 injection. I know it's expensive to setup, and could prove a little bit like spinning plates with your triptych setup.

If I were you, cost permitting of course(which i have a great understanding of being tied, with being an apprentice) I'd set up a JBL or Up aqua co2 system (from one of our sponsors Tankscape and try to devise a way of balancing the co2 distribution with the 3 tanks.

I know ADA do an inline adjustable valve, which would be your best bet. Check TGM, I believe they have a cheaper alternative aswell.

I never dose liquid carbon with shrimp, I tend to kill them off quickly otherwise :(

Cheers,

Hi Jack,
Sorry to hear about the shrimp mate.
Just to give an alternative thought, I dose liquid carbon in my CR shrimp tank and they are happy enough to breed. I only dose 1ml per day in a 50l tank which I think is around the recommended dosage for easy carbo. To regulate this lean dosing I simply run less light so the demand for carbon is reduced. For sure growth is slow but I have happy shrimp and a tank full of plants too.
I'm guessing you may be double or even triple dosing your liquid carbon so maybe you could reduce this down and reduce lighting intensity to compensate......just a thought, may save lashing out on a co2 kit which in itself offers up more complication and potential danger.
If your not overdosing liquid carbon then I doubt this is the cause of your sudden shrimp fatalities.
Cheerio
Ady

Ady34 said:
Hi Jack,
Sorry to hear about the shrimp mate.
Just to give an alternative thought, I dose liquid carbon in my CR shrimp tank and they are happy enough to breed. I only dose 1ml per day in a 50l tank which I think is around the recommended dosage for easy carbo. To regulate this lean dosing I simply run less light so the demand for carbon is reduced. For sure growth is slow but I have happy shrimp and a tank full of plants too.
I'm guessing you may be double or even triple dosing your liquid carbon so maybe you could reduce this down and reduce lighting intensity to compensate......just a thought, may save lashing out on a co2 kit which in itself offers up more complication and potential danger.
If your not overdosing liquid carbon then I doubt this is the cause of your sudden shrimp fatalities.
Cheerio
Ady

I forgot about your Liquid carbon dosing Ady! Thats good you can, normally they have an intolerance to it. And there's no arguing your tank is healthy and your inhabitants happy.

I wouldn't use LC in mine though, I think the stuff has more potential to be lethal than a careful, well managed co2 regime.** I use no Co2 in my CRS tank, just airline to increase oxygen content of water** Drop checkers can be used to indicate co2 content as you know, but not liquid carbon products.

I would also say that if the cherries came from a none Liquid carbon enriched tank, that they would need slow acclimatisation to the LC over a period of days.

Cheers,

Its a fair point Nath, but Jack has a mix of plants in his tanks that probably require some form of carbon. Gas is obviously achievable but it wouldnt take a lot on such a small volume of water to have serious consequenses, the margin for error would be tiny.
Regards the cherries origin....even if not from liquid carbon dosed tanks, if it was this that saw them off would it not have occurred sooner as surely Jack will have been dosing every day?
I think on very small tanks its easier to manage dosing of a liquid product as you draw off the amount you need before going anywhere near the tank....that said its all down to user competance either way, so if using gas extra care would no doubt be used.
Cheerio,

carrying on from that, i dont know how fast lc does kill shrimp if overdosed, but id imagine it would be quick given their sensitivity, and it would effect all of them so perhaps this indicates its not down to the liquid carbon and maybe something else?

As a side, how big are the tanks Jack, and how many shrimp did you introduce at once? I know they add little bio load, but have you been feeding them also?

I introduced 20 cherries to one tank. 3-4 hours acclimatising. I was dosing 6ml a week easy (maybe 2ce that over the days) as I had no fish just plants. The cubes are 27l cubes so small. I have looked today and another 4 have died. im close to loosing them all.. it makes sense because when i got back from being in london for a couple days I dosed more excel and 12 hours later is when i noticed the fatalities. Please note I was unaware that this would harm the shrimp.. I know that I cannot overdose on excel unless its a considerable amount so took this knowledge and dosed a lot for the benefit of my lighting and fish-less tank set up. So it seems that could be the issue.. The fact that the tanks could potentially be low-tech tanks, not needing anything at all, maybe NPK once a week has irritated me even more.. because I know I caused something that could of been avoided.. but I was completely unaware it had effects on shrimp.. especially cherry shrimp. what do you suggest I do? I can only do what I can to save the others but Im going to do 50% water changes every day for a fair few days, stick a carbon pad in my filter for the week and hope that sorts it out. ADDING NO EXCEL might i add.. just sticking to my NPK schedule.. what do you think?

I introduced 20 cherries to one tank. 3-4 hours acclimatising. I was dosing 6ml a week easy (maybe 2ce that over the days) as I had no fish just plants. The cubes are 27l cubes so small. I have looked today and another 4 have died. im close to loosing them all.. it makes sense because when i got back from being in london for a couple days I dosed more excel and 12 hours later is when i noticed the fatalities. Please note I was unaware that this would harm the shrimp.. I know that I cannot overdose on excel unless its a considerable amount so took this knowledge and dosed a lot for the benefit of my lighting and fish-less tank set up. So it seems that could be the issue.. The fact that the tanks could potentially be low-tech tanks, not needing anything at all, maybe NPK once a week has irritated me even more.. because I know I caused something that could of been avoided.. but I was completely unaware it had effects on shrimp.. especially cherry shrimp. what do you suggest I do? I can only do what I can to save the others but Im going to do 50% water changes every day for a fair few days, stick a carbon pad in my filter for the week and hope that sorts it out. ADDING NO EXCEL might i add.. just sticking to my NPK schedule.. what do you think?

Hey Jack, sorry to hear you are having shrimp issues, it sucks when it happens but on the up side it happened before you got the tigers and CBS in which would have been painful to your pocket!!
As Radik has said this is likely to be water quality for them to die in batches like this. I dont think that LC is likely to blame as cherries are pretty resilient, i was triple dosing my 300ltr for a long time with a healthy rcs population. Saying that its very easy to massively overdose in nanos. I would have also expected to see your riccia melting if you had overdosed so much to effect the shrimp as it too doesnt like LC.
Not sure on all the plants you have in the tanks but mostly looks like moss, riccia and hairgrass all of which will do fine in low tech. Personally i would lift your lighting a bit and dont worry about dosing ferts unless you see a deficiency, my shrimp nano hasnt been dosed in months with no ill effect at all as yet and just 10% WC every 2 weeks with re mineralised RO.
I was certainly surprised how well my plants have done with little or no intervention, we talk about high ferts, lower light and big water changes all the time but when it comes to shrimp most advise seems to be less is more.
I'd also advise having inline heaters once you get your externals, shrimp do seem to be quite prone to temp fluctuations.

Im sure you will have 3 lovely shrimp tanks in no time. :thumbup:

I have had cherries at 14ºC with no problems and people here in the Azores even keep them in outdoor tanks the whole year so low temp is not a problem IME.

However, Excel can kill shrimp. I used to dose 0.5 ml in a 10L tank with no problems for red cherry (growing and reproducing). Try a lower dosing of excel may be better?

cheers

GM

Back