• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green algae/fungus on bogwood

SmallestFrog

I bought a job lot of bogwood from ebay, and its arrived, and has quite a lot of green fungus looking stuff on it. Some of it is also white and powdery looking.

bogwood.jpg

Anyone know whats best to be done about it?

Some of the wood is to go in a shrimp tank, so I want to make absolutely sure its safe, there-fore I'm not sure I want to soak it in anti-fungus meds if I can avoid it. I'm considering brushing it with liquid carbon, to see if that kills it, like it kills algae in the same manner.

Any other ideas?

This is likely from it just being stored damp, jet washing will remove the mould but id be concerned about what chemicals have been used in the previous owners tank if your keeping shrimp... especially more sensitive types. Good chance its fine but its a roll of the dice with second hand wood.

Not having access to a jet wash, is there any other way of removing it? Plan to soak the wood anyway, is it worth chucking some activated carbon in as well as a just incase? Or am I over-thinking this?

Could boil it in large stock pot, or pressure wash it at car wash?
Could also run it through auto dishwasher with no soap (note... Might do this while the wife isn't around) :shh:

just a good scrub in warm water will work in replace of a jet wash. I wouldnt put it in the dishwasher as there will always be residual detergents and who knows what they put in dishwasher salts.
Id also get it in to soak asap, bogwood can be a PITA to stop it floating.

roadmaster said:
Could boil it in large stock pot, or pressure wash it at car wash?
Could also run it through auto dishwasher with no soap (note... Might do this while the wife isn't around) :shh:

Yeah don't dishwash it! I think a boil and ten a good scrub will do it well.

easerthegeezer said:
just a good scrub in warm water will work in replace of a jet wash. I wouldnt put it in the dishwasher as there will always be residual detergents and who knows what they put in dishwasher salts.
Id also get it in to soak asap, bogwood can be a PITA to stop it floating.

Hmmm, been cleaning HOB Aquaclear filter's for a few year's this way. No fish death's .

Back